Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:40 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
That's an interesting statement.

Because... if UR's are fighting this blasphemous teaching of hell which completely and totally crucifies God's character and also furthers the non-love and darkness in this world, then yes... they would want to dismantle this erroneous belief as often as possible. They would want to talk about it and beat this sick, twisted thing into the ground and turn it into DUST where it belongs.

So yes... keep a tally if you like.

On the other hand...
If ET'ers who believe the majority of human beings are destined for some sort of sick torture chamber with no hope of escape.. why are you NOT out standing on the corner warning everyone? Maybe I'll start keeping count on how many hell threads the ET's start on a daily basis to see just how much they really care...
You can call scriptires blasphemy, non-love, sick, twisted and whatever you want. You search for the worst possible names and you throw them in. Clearly you are here only to attack other people's beliefes, and for some reason such behaviour is tolerated on this "Christian" site. Go figure. Your insults won't bother me, not will it errode my faith. I will keep talking about salvation, the good news, and you will keep talking about hell. Nothing new under the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 02:03 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Study the Book of Revelation, and pay attention to the part which explains what happens to Sheol/Hades in the end.
So is that where God ends up if I make my bed in hell?

Old 10-26-2010, 02:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
David said "If I make my bed in hell, behold Thou art there."

So if God is in hell and if the majority of humans go to hell, then how can they be eternally separated from God?
Maybe because David was talking about Sheol. Not the Lake 'o Fire

The NASB reads:

If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.
The word is Sheol, which was rendered as Hell in the English of 1611.

One should not base one's theology on Elizabethian English, unless you really believe that God is a pitiful God.

Why anyone still uses the KJV today is beyond me. The English language has changed in 400 years. Words have change in meaning and usage since 1611.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:07 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

The NASB reads:

If I ascend to heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.

One should not base one's theology on Elizabethian English.

Why anyone still uses the KJV today is beyond me. The English language has changed in 400 years. Word change in meaning an usage.
Exactly. The English word 'hell' is a mistranslation.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:26 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Exactly. The English word 'hell' is a mistranslation.
This depends, I do not think in some instances in the bible Hell is a mistranslation since the definition at the origin of the word "hell" is to "cover or conceal".

Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
This depends, I do not think in some instances in the bible Hell is a mistranslation since the definition at the origin of the word "hell" is to "cover or conceal".
Yes I see your point - but to most people when they think of the word "hell" in our modern vernacular they envision some kind of place of conscious eternal torment - usually involving literal fire or mental anguish. That is how modern dictionaries define the word "hell".

But you are right, at one point the word "hell" simply meant to cover or conceal. The meaning has changed over time, largely I would guess due to religious teachings on the afterlife.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:41 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Yes I see your point - but to most people when they think of the word "hell" in our modern vernacular they envision some kind of place of conscious eternal torment - usually involving literal fire or mental anguish. That is how modern dictionaries define the word "hell".

But you are right, at one point the word "hell" simply meant to cover or conceal. The meaning has changed over time, largely I would guess due to religious teachings on the afterlife.

That is why we cannot actually take seriously the "lake of fire" meaning "hell". The use of the word hell in some translations for sheol is not accurate based upon the modern primary use of the word but we can believe that it is for the "lake of fire"? I don't think so.

I guess though I am talking about hell too much, accuracy in study seems to offend some folk.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
So is that where God ends up if I make my bed in hell?
See post #3. David died before Christ emptied Sheol, so he did make his bed in Sheol and Christ did see him there. At this point in time only unbelievers make their beds in Sheol, while believers go to be with the Lord.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

The NASB reads:

If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.

One should not base one's theology on Elizabethian English, unless you really believe that God is a pitiful God.

Why anyone still uses the KJV today is beyond me. The English language has changed in 400 years. Words have change in meaning and usage since 1611.
They know the difference but it is one of their favorite deception points to claim that KJV translates Sheol as hell, and therfore hell is just Abraham's bosom. No one argues that Sheol and lake of fire is the same place. As a matter of fact it is impossible for them to be same. It has been explained to them countless times, but they pretend they never heard it before. The Bible says that Sheol/Hades is thrown into the lake of fire, and that the lake of fire, not Sheol, is the second death. So how can anyone claim Sheol and lake of fire could be the same thing? No, Sheol is a temporary place for unbelievers, and after judgment, they will end up in lake of fire.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:30 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Re: Eternal Separation from God (single passage theology)

Whoa! Time out! This thread is in process of expanding a single verse of scripture into an entire theology, based on how folks interpret one word in that passage (eg; hades, hell, sheol). Since this is a Christian forum and the question is Biblical, a more Biblical approach to “rightly dividing the Word of Truth” is needed. When one verse seems to contradict another, or seems unclear, the ‘building precept upon precept’ approach is to ask, 'what does the rest of scripture say on this matter?'

[In the referenced passage, David is using a contrast to establish that God is sovereign over all things and that nothing is beyond God’s prevue – It is utterly absurd to reason that David is suggesting that God will spend eternity in hell (or anywhere else) with the lost.]

Scripture is as clear on the subject of eternal condemnation in an endless ‘hell,’ as it is on God reigning eternally with His people in heaven. We may not fully grasp the ‘map-location’ of heaven or hell, but, we must clearly understand that the eternal consequences of a life lived without God now… are not simply a ‘heavenly time-out.’ Below are a few clear scriptural references:

The eternal place of the lost and condemned:
Matt 8:18 - If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.

Matt. 25:41 - "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Matt 25:46 - And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.” -nk[

Jude 1:7 In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Rev. 20:14-15 -Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire. Nk

The eternal place of God and the Saved:
2 Cor. 5:1 - For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

2Tim 2:12 -if we endure, we will also reign with him. If we disown him, he will also disown us;

Rev. 22:5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.

Last edited by jghorton; 10-26-2010 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity