Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I guess it goes both ways.
Matthew 4:4
4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
Luke 3:4
4 As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet: “A voice of one calling in the wilderness,
‘Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him.
Revelation 22:7
7 “Look, I am coming soon! Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy written in this scroll.”
Hebrews 10
5 Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:
“Sacrifice and offering you did not desire,
but a body you prepared for me;
6 with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
7 Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll
I have come to do your will, my God.’"
No one is denying that the God-inspired OT scriptures prophesy about Jesus and provide the means to validate His status as the Son of God . . . and to give us instruction in righteousness and give us hope. But they do not describe God correctly because their minds were blinded (blind minds =ignorance) by their carnality and infant spirituality. Jesus came to correct the wrong beliefs about God's character and motivations by providing an UNAMBIGUOUS example through scourging and crucifixion without "smiting" anyone . . . and through His teachings correcting scripture (Sermon on the Mount. etc.). Unfortunately the power hungry men who formed, edited and assembled the bible were carnal-minded and found the fear motive useful for control. Thus . . . 2000+ years later the churches have lost the unambiguous message of Jesus and twisted the view of God into a schizophrenic merger of OT ignorance and Jesus Christ's enlightenment.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Jesus spoke to the pharisees about the scriptures:John Chapter 5
37“And the Father who sent Me, He has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time nor seen His form. 38“You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent.

39“You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life. 41“I do not receive glory from men; 42but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves. 43“I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, you will receive him. 44“How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God? 45“Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father; the one who accuses you is Moses, in whom you have set your hope. 46“For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. 47“But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?”

Old 01-28-2011, 01:56 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If Twin quotes the Bible, he is accused of 'worshipping the book',
AISI - What we have is a divine principle being turned into a religion and essentially the canonized writings are equated to God, and therefore worshipped as equal with God (and why not?). If God is the Word and the Bible is the Word, why not worship it? Why is that even an "accusation" in your eyes?

We have no record of Jesus writing any lessons down or asking them to be written down, or prophesying of a special compilation of books to come or commissioning any letters which would allow us to know God better OR setting up any kind of church hierarchy. Also - no hint of a great future apostle who would set up church guidelines etc.

Christ is a Spirit, the Spirit which causes us to love our neighbor as ourselves, lay our lives down for one another etc.

Worshipping a book (which should be done IF it is the "WORD") leads to doctrinal worship (ie: you don't know God unless you believe a particular doctrine) and that leads to all the divisiveness we see today (doesn't it?). Because if you don't believe the right thing you are damned forever, and suddenly good fruit (loving your neighbor as yourself) is branded self-righteousness UNLESS you believe proper doctrine first.

So really, I suspect that few of us are actually accusing spin of anything, we are just stating things which have become obvious to us.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:03 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
Why are you quoting the Bible? Why don't you quote your own sources
Some of us could quote what we feel in our own heart, and that would be accurate too.
The problem is that many Christians don't believe anything outside of the Bible (unless their pastor says so), and so one must always resort to scripture.

Once we can begin to trust the Spirit within us, which is alive, then we can begin to be the "living epistles" that Paul spoke of.

But Christendom sends the living epistles out of the churches.

I'm surprised you can't see this...

An example?
I just got kicked out of another "Christian" forum because I said I believe all will be saved.
Go figure!

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-28-2011, 04:41 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
I have no problem understanding and believing the bible in the hands and hearts of much of christianity is a "book of death", even though the scriptures are inspired.
There are far to many scriptures that leave the believer with no doubt that he is led by the Spirit, rather than "the bible".
It's only a carnal mind that would believe after all God did through sending us his son, that he would leave us a book to follow (Jesus said follow me), instead of doing something from within, "i will put my laws in their hearts, and write them on their minds"(Heb 10 :16).
We automatically think when we read something like "I will put my laws in their hearts", that it is referring to the OT law which we could not keep, i believe we could not be further from the truth. At the very least it means this...... For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit Romans 8:2-4 . I see no mention of a book being able to bring about the reality of this in our lives.

Those who understand and live by the the kingdom of God within, are spiritually minded, those who live by the book are carnally minded...., the book just like the law can never produce righteousness....For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.Romans 8:6.
Those who say "why are you quoting scripture if you don't follow the book ?",are in darkness, and i have one question for you ? did Jesus follow the book,or the fullness of God within him ?(If the same Spirit that raised Jesus up dwells in you, Greater is he that is in you), and yes Jesus quoted scripture too, he also said in them(the scriptures) you think you have eternal life, but these are they which testify of me.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
AISI - What we have is a divine principle being turned into a religion and essentially the canonized writings are equated to God, and therefore worshipped as equal with God (and why not?). If God is the Word and the Bible is the Word, why not worship it? Why is that even an "accusation" in your eyes?
Again, I have never witnessed this "worship of the book" that you people see in everyone except yourselves. Since you consider quoting the Bible same as "worshipping the book", then could you do us all a favor and stop quoting from it. We have already seem several URs here accusing others of book worship only to come back to quote from the Bible themselves. It seems you think you are qualified to quote it, but others are not.

These accusations demonstrates the "Pharisee mentality" at its best. A bunch of arrogant, boastful people beating their chests and claiming they are only ones qualified to quote the Bible while anyone else reading it is simply worshipping the book. I see comments like "they read, but they have no spirituality" and "infant spirituality" to describe everyone except themselves.

It's a disgrace.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-28-2011 at 05:08 AM..

Old 01-28-2011, 05:03 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Some of us could quote what we feel in our own heart, and that would be accurate too.
This is EXACTLY the mentality I am talking about. YOU can feel it in your heart, but others cannot, and therefore they are only "worshipping the book". Statements like that define the term "arrogance".

How do you know what others feel in their heart when they read the Bible?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:21 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Since you consider quoting the Bible same as "worshipping the book",
But that's not what I said, at all - is it? And again, if the Bible is the Word, and the Word is God than how can you consider worshiping it a negative?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,368,929 times
Quote:
This is EXACTLY the mentality I am talking about. YOU can feel it in your heart, but others cannot, and therefore they are only "worshipping the book". Statements like that define the term "arrogance".

I'm not saying that you or others don't speak what's in your heart. What I'm saying is that the Word of God, Jesus Christ, imo, is alive, and not limited to the pages of the Bible.

But many will not accept anything unless it's written word-for-word in their favorite version of the Bible. And that, my friend, is "the letter that killeth." They could walk in the Spirit, but they are afraid, or don't believe they can.

Blessings,
brian

Old 01-28-2011, 05:31 AM

8,177 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:

He never said what you are accusing him of saying, Finn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity