Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 08:55 PM

64,008 posts, read 40,312,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, call me naive, but I kind of think it means we're not supposed to judge each other. We obviously need to use discernment in making choices for our own lives. This involves judging certain doctrines to be true or false, certain behaviors to be right or wrong, etc. As far as judging one another, and particularly condemning one another, I strongly believe that it's in all of our best interests to leave that up to God. I'm pretty sure He is capable of judging all of us without anyone else's help.
Amen! . . . can't rep you yet, Katz. God needs no help from us either to judge anyone or to coerce, sanction or chastise anyone. Each individual is responsible to God for his/her OWN position, period. If your opinion is sought . . . give it freely and sincerely . . . otherwise mind your own soul. It is sufficient work for the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Clearly the bolded part is telling us to JUDGE our brother. I surely hope my brother Judges me.
The bold is telling us no such thing . . . it is a figure of speech to point up a comparative . . . not a command or permission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I hope my pastor, or fellow believer would help me get back on the narrow path if/when I fall off. That is one of the benefits of being a part of a church, -to receive help and instruction from your brothers and sisters in Christ.
Quote:
It is neither help nor instruction if it is not REQUESTED . . . it is self-righteous "busybodiness" and imposition.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:01 PM

28,143 posts, read 30,089,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen! . . . can't rep you yet, Katz. God needs no help from us either to judge anyone or to coerce, sanction or chastise anyone. Each individual is responsible to God for his/her OWN position, period. If your opinion is sought . . . give it freely and sincerely . . . otherwise mind your own soul. It is sufficient work for the day.
LOL! I couldn't rep you either, Mystic. I guess we'll both have to just go with "it's the thought that counts," huh?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,048,292 times
Quote:
The bold is telling us no such thing . . . it is a figure of speech to point up a comparative . . . not a command or permission.

It is neither help nor instruction if it is not REQUESTED . . . it is self-righteous "busybodiness" and imposition.
Jesus was not giving us a "figure of speech". He was giving us instruction just as He did here:

Joh 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Mystic, are you going to tell me that we are not to Judge when Jesus says we are to?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Jesus was not giving us a "figure of speech". He was giving us instruction just as He did here:

Joh 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Mystic, are you going to tell me that we are not to Judge when Jesus says we are to?
I will not (and couldn't possibly in this short space) impart an extensive lesson in the use of idiom, figures of speech, and the many differences and difficulties in translating them from one language to another (especially when they don't always have equivalents in the other language). Using our sophisticated and very nuanced language you naturally assume He means to judge others . . . but He means to judge Good and Evil righteously, period. We are each accountable for ourselves on our own before God. Our success or failure in making those judgments correctly (about Good and evil) should be our concern in this life.

Truly helping our brothers and sisters does NOT involve judging them. That is for God and God alone. It is in helping them see what you believe Good and Evil are and why. Two or more sets of eyes are likely to see the world more clearly than one set alone. But we are NOT to judge each other.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,445,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

That has nothing to do with what we are talking about. Have you fallen off the path? Are you living in sin? Actually I don't even know if you are a believer, and if you are not, then I would not attempt to help you get back on the path.

One final time, it is not about 'passing judgment', it is about helping.

Whether or not you agree, but it is a duty of a Christian to try to help other believers in such situations.

I already explained how I understood your comment about self control, and it still sounds like you are saying that one should exercise self control to keep oneself from helping another believer, but it only makes sense if you fail to see judgment in a positive light.
Remember: I do not have an "us" and "them" mentality.
Therefore, I doubt you will comprehend, until you see things in the same light.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:45 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,048,292 times
Quote:
I will not (and couldn't possibly in this short space) impart an extensive lesson in the use of idiom, figures of speech, and the many differences and difficulties in translating them from one language to another (especially when they don't always have equivalents in the other language). Using our sophisticated and very nuanced language you naturally assume He means to judge others . . . but He means to judge Good and Evil righteously, period. We are each accountable for ourselves on our own before God. Our success or failure in making those judgments correctly (about Good and evil) should be our concern in this life.

Truly helping our brothers and sisters does NOT involve judging them. That is for God and God alone. It is in helping them see what you believe Good and Evil are and why. Two or more sets of eyes are likely to see the world more clearly than one set alone. But we are NOT to judge each other.
To the contrary. Righteous Judgement is a loving thing. And Love is meant for others.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:50 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,390,595 times
Quote:
To the contrary. Righteous Judgement is a loving thing. And Love is meant for others.
When it involves taking the beam of hypocrisy out of our own eye i agree. Our eye becomes single, we see God and not the mote in our brothers eye.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:58 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,786,309 times
Quote:
There has been countless attempts on this thread to explain that there are two kinds of judgment, - negative and positive, but you and some others continue see it all as self-righteous imposition. Do you ever accept help from anyone, or do you always reject it as self-righteous imposition?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,786,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Remember: I do not have an "us" and "them" mentality.
I don't know why you brought it up, because no one on this thread has demontrated that attitude.

Quote:
Therefore, I doubt you will comprehend, until you see things in the same light.

I thought you just said you do not have "us and "them" mentality. Now it sounds like you suggest that I will not see it like you unless I become one of "you".

What are you trying to say?

PS You post does not answer the points I made, or trettep has made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity