Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's morally right to pronounce judgment on others' behaviors at all, so I won't "go there." That is God's job.

As for my embarrassment, I have to agree. Frankly though, in light of our behaviors demonstrated since 9/11, I am surprise we didn't put his remains on a pike and march it through the streets.

After all is said and done, we are and always have been The Barbarians.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Governments protect the interests of a few, not the poor majority. (It's unfortunate, but since the governments are not Christian, it's quite natural..)
I'm not a very politically informed person, so I won't debate you about that. But, you are right ... a gov't is not Christian. Again, it can only act on behalf of the people it represents (whether that be few or many) and unless those individual people are all guided by the principles of Love, then the gov't will not be guided by those principles.

Quote:
Banks have the right to coin money. I don't think they are too worried about a low-level criminal who will probably end up getting arrested and the money returned anyway..
I'm also not a very financially informed person (dang, thanks for drawing out all my ignorance for everyone to see, lol ) so I won't argue the details. I'm just hoping that you understood my underlying point.

Quote:
On a personal level, I agree that we are all on a path, and that we "bring to the table" the things that we have each been given. What amazes me (or maybe not) is how the very basic teachings of Jesus (let's forget about rapture, tribulations, seven-headed beasts and all the rest), the very basic teachings of Jesus: love your neighbor as yourself, love your enemies, be merciful, condemn not... all of these are not practiced by the majority of "Christians."
But I'm not sure that you can draw that conclusion based on the discussion about Osama. Because you are not talking about how each one of these individual Christians would behave in a situation where they were faced with turning the other cheek or not. You're talking about what people believe the role of the gov't is in protecting it's citizens and that's a whole different animal from an individual making personal decisions about how they can best show Love. Most sincere Christians, I think, agree with you about practicing the basic teachings of Jesus on an individual basis, although they may not always be in agreement with you about what is the best way to do that.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Actually, Jesus teaches us to not kill people. I'm surprised you have forgotten that, Finn.
Yes, you would go to prison if you did.

I already posted Romans 13 for you, so perhaps you can take a quick peek and see what it says about authority and use of force.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Governments protect the interests of a few, not the poor majority. (It's unfortunate, but since the governments are not Christian, it's quite natural..)
Incorrect. The government will do their best to keep invading armies, and in this case terrorists from harming the citizens, rich and poor. The people in uniform deserve our gratitude and respect, not our judgment.

Quote:
Banks have the right to coin money
Incorrect again. Only Congress has the right to coin money, and the task of coining has been delegated to the Federal Reserve, which is not really a bank.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:55 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,370,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Incorrect. The government will do their best to keep invading armies, and in this case terrorists from harming the citizens, rich and poor. The people in uniform deserve our gratitude and respect, not our judgment.

Incorrect again. Only Congress has the right to coin money, and the task of coining has been delegated to the Federal Reserve, which is not really a bank.
Congress does what the banks require. Does "bailout" mean anything to you??

As for "people in uniform," I have stated earlier that I don't get involved in other people's dirty laundry. It is because of dirty laundry that wars start. If a government wants to go to war, they are free to go themselves. (although they never do, strangely enough...)

"LOVE your enemies." Christianity 101. This is "BASIC training."

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,004 times
Quote:

As for "people in uniform," I have stated earlier that I don't get involved in other people's dirty laundry. It is because of dirty laundry that wars start. If a government wants to go to war, they are free to go themselves. (although they never do, strangely enough...)

Blessings,
brian

We can love our enemies and continue to prevent them from hurting our loved ones. You have to realize the spiritual ramifications of that charge as human beings. We can fight a war to defend people against evil and love our enemies at the same time.

Love has never been defined as allowing evil to run free on the earth. God loves his enemies and blesses them that has cursed him, do you know one way that love is manifested?

Through the law of reaping what we sow. Osama reaped what he sowed, God will not love osama in the capacity of allowing his evil to reign, God will actually attack Osama, but it will be for the purpose of stopping his evil and restoring him spiritually.

Humans are not God and the lie is that humans have the capacity on this earth in this life to love how God loves, it is impossible.

That is why JESUS said "IF" possible live in peace with one another.

Some make it impossible and to lay down and allow evil to run free is NOT LOVE it is actually a perspective that has it's roots in fear.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
We can love our enemies and continue to prevent them from hurting our loved ones. You have to realize the spiritual ramifications of that charge as human beings. We can fight a war to defend people against evil and love our enemies at the same time.

Love has never been defined as allowing evil to run free on the earth. God loves his enemies and blesses them that has cursed him, do you know one way that love is manifested?

Through the law of reaping what we sow. Osama reaped what he sowed, God will not love osama in the capacity of allowing his evil to reign, God will actually attack Osama, but it will be for the purpose of stopping his evil and restoring him spiritually.

Humans are not God and the lie is that humans have the capacity on this earth in this life to love how God loves, it is impossible.

That is why JESUS said "IF" possible live in peace with one another.

Some make it impossible and to lay down and allow evil to run free is NOT LOVE it is actually a perspective that has it's roots in fear.
It's not impossible Paul. Jesus did it, the early church did it, many Christians today are pacifists, and MLK also succeeded. He knew that there was more glory and power in love than in hate.

I think the issue here is pride. I think man knows in his heart that Jesus' words are the truth, but because of pride, fear or some other element, he is not willing to walk fully in Jesus' footsteps.

If people stopped warring, new solutions to today's problems would arise. I am sure of it.

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Did the banks coin their own money? No they did not, so your claim is false.

Quote:

It seems you are happy as long as someone else does the dirty laundry and you can sit back and judge them.

Romans 13 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Did the banks coin their own money? No they did not, so your claim is false.

It seems you are happy as long as someone else does the dirty laundry and you can sit back and judge them.

Romans 13 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.
You're right, the banks don't coin. They were only the "recipients." But they're basically bedfellows with the federal reserve, so I don't really make a distinction there.

To each his own dirty laundry. Why should I go and kill Afghan people that I have no grudge against, just because the American government tells me to?? They are not my enemies, and even if they did harm to me personally, I am called to love them, as Jesus commands.

If the American military is "God's servants," then so is the Afghan military. If you lived in Afghanistan, you would be required to obey Afghan laws.

Blessings,
brian

Old 05-04-2011, 08:34 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,949,004 times
Quote:
It's not impossible Paul. Jesus did it, the early church did it, many Christians today are pacifists, and MLK also succeeded. He knew that there was more glory and power in love than in hate.

I think the issue here is pride. I think man knows in his heart that Jesus' words are the truth, but because of pride, fear or some other element, he is not willing to walk fully in Jesus' footsteps.

If people stopped warring, new solutions to today's problems would arise. I am sure of it.

Blessings,
brian

The problem is that you are speculating that if America simply let the terrorists have free reign in the country it would all work out. Sure it would work out, if your a terrorist.

Jesus said "if possible" for a reason and while you cite Jesus, you do not cite all of what he said, that part is conveniently left out. Do I know that a passive approach can work sometimes, it sure can, but it is not always the only solution.

Was God passive towards Saul? No, he did not let Saul reign free. But we are not God, we cannot inflict onm a person what God does we must utilize our humanity and sometimes that involves stopping someone with physical force, that is just how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity