Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Christ fail to accomplish Gods desire to save all people?
Yes 13 23.21%
No 31 55.36%
I don't believe that Jesus is the word of God! 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:04 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
As Rockhead pointed out, the word is not "desires."

The Greek word qelei, literally translated, is "willeth"

But even if it were desires, sooner or later, God is going to make sure all of His desires are fulfilled because it is His pleasure to do so.
"I will do all my pleasure" (Isaiah 6:10)

When God sets out to do something, it gets done.
The Book of Rockhead?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:29 AM

63 posts, read 101,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Finn, I don't think you really read or understood this verse that I posted yesterday.

Romans 11:32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Let me highlight the relevant part related to your comment: God bound everyone over to disobedience.
"Concluded" very literally means to shut, or "has shut up." Who is shut up or bound over to disobedience? Literally the all, the totality of Jews and Gentiles. The all, the totality, the touv pantav.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:36 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
"Concluded" very literally means to shut, or "has shut up." Who is shut up or bound over to disobedience? Literally the all, the totality of Jews and Gentiles. The all, the totality, the touv pantav.
Amen Rockhead. Thanks for sharing that. Like your username too, i'd prefer to have a rockhead rather than a stiffneck any day of the week .

Old 07-15-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Finn, I don't think you really read or understood this verse that I posted yesterday.

Romans 11:32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.

Let me highlight the relevant part related to your comment: God bound everyone over to disobedience.
With your view everyone would be without hope with God bluntly closing the way for everyone, but that it not the case. The way is open for everyone. Believe, and be saved.

I think you overcomplicate it for yourself. Here is the good news:

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:16 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
With your view everyone would be without hope with God bluntly closing the way for everyone, but that it not the case. The way is open for everyone. Believe, and be saved.

I think you overcomplicate it for yourself. Here is the good news:

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
No he's opening eyes and ears(he's in this business you know) so that we can know and believe without issue in His grace made known to us through the revealing of His son Jesus Christ to us. He's accomplishing this and death is no match for God which He defeated at Calvary.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:22 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why do you ignore Romans 11:32? Its not "my view"... its what Paul the apostle said.

For God has bound everyone over to disobedience

And I don't know why you conclude everyone would be without hope. For in the same phrase he also says:

so that he may have mercy on them all.

Your view is backwards Finn. Everyone has hope.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:23 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No he's opening eyes and ears(he's in this business you know) so that we can know and believe without issue in His grace made known to us through the revealing of His son Jesus Christ to us. He's accomplishing this and death is no match for God which He defeated at Calvary.
Exactly! In order for Him to open eyes and ears, the eyes and ears must first be closed.

And all are closed... so He can open them in His own time...

Old 07-15-2011, 06:27 AM

63 posts, read 101,408 times
Quote:
This will never do! We simply cannot have a God whose purpose is successful.

"We are told of a god who created millions of beings whom he intends for endless torments and puts His whole design into execution; and this is called supreme goodness. In millions of cases this god finds it most for his glory to make his rational, hoping, wanting creatures endlessly miserable.

We are likewise told of a devil who acts for his own gratification, and who delights in making God's creatures miserable; and this is called badness.

Shall we thus represent our kind and merciful Father from Whom streams of goodness continually flow to His wanting, needing creatures? No; let every vibration of sense within us acknowledge His bountiful hand which will never close." Hosea Ballou

Old 07-15-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
LOL. You can't have it both ways.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Why do you ignore Romans 11:32? Its not "my view"... its what Paul the apostle said.

For God has bound everyone over to disobedience

And I don't know why you conclude everyone would be without hope. For in the same phrase he also says:

so that he may have mercy on them all.

Your view is backwards Finn. Everyone has hope.
I know everyone has hope, but it did not sound like you thought so. Believe, and be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity