Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in UR, ET, annihilation
UR - Universal Reconciliation 26 59.09%
ET - Eternal Torment 7 15.91%
Annihilation 4 9.09%
other (please explain by post) 7 15.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:22 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,407,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So how does such an inane and insane doctrine continue to have a grip on 80% of Christianity? Are Christians that gullible and....well, dumb?
Why does God allow it to be so?
That's a good question.
I think it's for the same reason that He temporarily lets all evil prevail to the extent that it does.

I think it's because God needs a foil of contrast against which He can better manifest, and glorify, and magnify the true character of His never failing love, and His undefeatable grace.

At least that's the way I see it.

For the same reason He also allows millions of Muslims to believe that He is going to let non-Muslims suffer forever in hell.
A quote from
Islamic Belief about the Afterlife

"Being a Muslim does not keep one out of Hell. Non-Muslims (kafir), however, will be punished eternally."
The Afterlife in Islam - ReligionFacts

Old 09-14-2011, 09:54 PM

10 posts, read 6,357 times
This is a topic I find very interesting. I never knew about UR until several years ago. I was only familiar with ET and annihilation.

I want to believe in UR and hope God will eventually save all at some point.
I certainly don't want to believe in ET. I use to believe in annihilation but at this stage I'm undecided.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:00 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mark View Post
This is a topic I find very interesting. I never knew about UR until several years ago. I was only familiar with ET and annihilation.

I certainly don't want to believe in ET. I use to believe in annihilation but at this stage I'm undecided.
Praise God!

Just keep searching John Mark, God will lead you to the truth.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:58 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,407,930 times
Lightbulb Here is a link that might help you decide

Quote:

Hi John Mark. Here is a link that might help you decide.
ETERNAL DEATH ANNIHILATION ONE STEP OUT OF HELL ONE STEP SHORT OF GLORY
Eternal Death (Conditional Mortality, Annihilation): One Step Out of Hell; One Step Short of Glory

Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
Why does God allow it to be so?
That's a good question.
I think it's for the same reason that He temporarily lets all evil prevail to the extent that it does.

I think it's because God needs a foil of contrast against which He can better manifest, and glorify, and magnify the true character of His never failing love, and His undefeatable grace.

At least that's the way I see it.

For the same reason He also allows millions of Muslims to believe that He is going to let non-Muslims suffer forever in hell.
A quote from

"Being a Muslim does not keep one out of Hell. Non-Muslims (kafir), however, will be punished eternally."
The Afterlife in Islam - ReligionFacts
I find that to be the best answer anyone has ever given me, Rodger when I have repeatedly asked that question: why does God allow this? Perhaps Romans 11:32 comes into play here in a somewhat altered form: For God has bound all men over to misunderstanding that He might reveal His marvelous truths to us.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:

You're exactly where I was about 6months ago, Mark. Grew up ET; switched to annihilation; switched to UR the more I read about it; briefly went back to annihilation until I started reading still more about UR from the wealth of literature about it on the Internet; firmly in UR now. The evidence, not to mention the common sense of it and the utter insanity of ET has made me a staunch believer in UR.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
praise god!

Just keep searching john mark, god will lead you to the truth.
+1

Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You're exactly where I was about 6months ago, Mark. Grew up ET; switched to annihilation; switched to UR the more I read about it; briefly went back to annihilation until I started reading still more about UR from the wealth of literature about it on the Internet; firmly in UR now. The evidence, not to mention the common sense of it and the utter insanity of ET has made me a staunch believer in UR.
Yep! We all have a "too good to be true" mentality at first, but it's all about what we know of the god we serve. He's not a maniac and ET is a maniacal doctrine... At least in my experience god isn't a maniac loving destruction and power.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:06 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,113,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Yep! We all have a "too good to be true" mentality at first, but it's all about what we know of the god we serve. He's not a maniac and ET is a maniacal doctrine... At least in my experience god isn't a maniac loving destruction and power.
We are used to thinking that if it sounds too good to be true, then it is. We ask, "What's the catch?" In traditional Christianity the somewhat good news has a catch - God will let most people burn for eternity. Christian Universalists are believers in the totally good news. God is love and He sent His Son to die for the sins of the whole world and He didn't fail in His mission.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:16 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
In reality, it merely contradicts your interpretation of your idol scriptures.
To the contrary! It is you who is twisting Scripture. John 3 is very clear. You reject Holy Scripture because you don't like what it says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity