Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 11:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times

Advertisements

Did Jesus have faith in the Spirit alone; trusting in the Father, or in that of his own flesh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 02:28 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
But you just said before you can't pick and choose.
Sounds like Katie's idea of obedience is an obedience to a belief, if you believe this that and the other, then you are obedient

Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,921 times
I get the impression from reading this thread (and many others like it) that many Christians think that they have to have a set of scriptures ready for when they die, to put up in God's face and say, "LOOK! I FOLLOWED THIS SCRIPTURE, SO LET ME IN HEAVEN!!!" They seem very ready to justify themselves, and to be their own lawyer...

Somehow, I don't think it'll work that way... imo...

Blessings to all,
brian

Old 10-13-2011, 05:41 AM

531 posts, read 479,691 times
Quote:
in I Cor. 8:13 it speaks of prophecies, tongues, and knowledge ceasing...

Also, the examples of speaking in tongues were for specific reasons... and they were always a language... not gibberish. i've heard people speak in "Tongues" today... its a bunch of rubbish gibberish. not a language.

These things cease when the perfect had come. Miracles were always performed to confirm the Word. Never for show off.

Eph 4: 11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

The Word is already confirmed. The will of God has been fully revealed. We have the bible. There are no miracles today.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
I get the impression from reading this thread (and many others like it) that many Christians think that they have to have a set of scriptures ready for when they die, to put up in God's face and say, "LOOK! I FOLLOWED THIS SCRIPTURE, SO LET ME IN HEAVEN!!!" They seem very ready to justify themselves, and to be their own lawyer...

Blessings to all,
brian
Well, this thread (and many others like it) are typically populated by people who do not agree on certain doctrinal issues. Where else would one go to find how to live? i go to the bible.

i think you are thinking of a scripture from Matt 7: 21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

All i can hope for is that God will Judge me according to the Word... I'll accept whatever He says.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Sounds like Katie's idea of obedience is an obedience to a belief, if you believe this that and the other, then you are obedient
I'm pretty sure Katie's idea of obedience is obedience to God's Word.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Did Jesus have faith in the Spirit alone; trusting in the Father, or in that of his own flesh?
Why would Jesus need faith? HE IS God...

Are you serious with this question? or are you being whimsical? maybe whimsical is the wrong word... i'm still trying to figure out how you are going to apply human issues like faith to the Son of God.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:57 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
GM BH,

Speaking in tongues was never commanded, and it had nothing to do with salvation. Jesus commanded baptism and He promised those who believed and were baptized would be saved. I do not believe speaking in tongues exists today. I won't discuss it here because it has nothing to do with the topic. If you'd like to begin a thread on the tongues topic, I will be happy to participate.

Katie

Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Blessings to all,
brian
Do you have a passage that shows men saved by faith alone? That is the thread topic. Thanks.

Katie

Old 10-13-2011, 06:05 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
Well, this thread (and many others like it) are typically populated by people who do not agree on certain doctrinal issues. Where else would one go to find how to live? i go to the bible.

i think you are thinking of a scripture from Matt 7: 21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

All i can hope for is that God will Judge me according to the Word... I'll accept whatever He says.
Has it ever occurred to you that there may be no one there to judge you except yourself? "The Father has given all judgment to the Son." And "the Son judges no one." If the Father doesn't judge, and the Son doesn't judge, then who judges? The Holy Spirit?

Paul wrote, "if we judged ourselves, we would not be judged." To me, that says that the judging should be going on right now, where we live, in our own minds and hearts.

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity