Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:56 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I always find it interesting when people obviously accept some Bible truths (eg; God, Jesus, Heaven, etc) ... but, by some perverse logic, reject other parts of the Bible as untrue(?)

How can you imagine that what you 'do' believe in the Bible is true --- when you admittedly believe there are some things in the Bible that are not true?

When discussing God with other people, I often ask, "What is the basis for what you will accept as truth?" ... If one has no real basis for what they are willing to believe, beyond, perhaps, 'feelings', intuition, 'what I've always believed', or 'things my grandmother taught me', then one really has no reliable, consistent basis for 'truth.' (In this case, what does it matter to you what the Bible says ... believe whatever you want!). Of course, if you are interested in truth, you will need a reliable standard by which to recognize truth and error.

If you accept the Bible as true, then of course Satan (the devil, Lucifer, demons, etc.) exist and are real - Beyond that, one does not have to look far in the world to see that evil and wickedness can be found everywhere.
I think the argument here is whether or not the devil is some literal separate entity. At least that's what I thought the argument was about. Some people make the devil out to be more than what he is - man's adversary - the enemy within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I think the argument here is whether or not the devil is some literal separate entity. At least that's what I thought the argument was about. Some people make the devil out to be more than what he is - man's adversary - the enemy within.
Amen, Heartsong. The jghortons' of the world assume our ignorant ancestors' interpretations and superstitious understanding as recorded in the scriptures represent a literal reality. A picture of the Eden villain for jghorton's edification.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Jesus was tempted by the devil and he had no evil in Him. Satan exists. Why do you think God is everything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
1Pe 5:8 Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

2Co 11:14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

Those who doubt Satan will one day find out, probably too late, that he is indeed very real

Quote:
I always find it interesting when people obviously accept some Bible truths (eg; God, Jesus, Heaven, etc) ... but, by some perverse logic, reject other parts of the Bible as untrue(?)

How can you imagine that what you 'do' believe in the Bible is true --- when you admittedly believe there are some things in the Bible that are not true?

When discussing God with other people, I often ask, "What is the basis for what you will accept as truth?" ... If one has no real basis for what they are willing to believe, beyond, perhaps, 'feelings', intuition, 'what I've always believed', or 'things my grandmother taught me', then one really has no reliable, consistent basis for 'truth.' (In this case, what does it matter to you what the Bible says ... believe whatever you want!). Of course, if you are interested in truth, you will need a reliable standard by which to recognize truth and error.

If you accept the Bible as true, then of course Satan (the devil, Lucifer, demons, etc.) exist and are real - Beyond that, one does not have to look far in the world to see that evil and wickedness can be found everywhere.

Amen....

Old 01-11-2012, 10:30 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:

That is the key ........ "If you accept the Bible as true"

As per usual, those who hate the truth will almost certianly point out what's wrong with it. Instead of allowing God to speak to them... they are more interested in critiquing what God revealed to fit what they want to be the truth. It's nothing new..... "Did God really say?"

Here's a statement from Jesus who claimed he IS the truth:
"Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me!"

Old 01-11-2012, 10:36 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
That is the key ........ "If you accept the Bible as true"

As per usual, those who hate the truth will almost certianly point out what's wrong with it. Instead of allowing God to speak to them... they are more interested in critiquing what God revealed to fit what they want to be the truth. It's nothing new..... "Did God really say?"

Here's a statement from Jesus who claimed he IS the truth:
"Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me!"

Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
There many different names because it is figurative language.
It would make sense that Satan does not want people to believe that he (or hell) exist.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:04 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:

The entire bible is allegoric and it is simply a brochure for Christians.

There are beautiful messages in the bible that are delivered with fantastic metaphors. If you have nice blue eyes and I say that "the ocean in your eyes is like the sky" that does not mean there was an ocean in your eyes.

The bible is man's interpretation of God. In reality we don't really know much about God.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It would make sense that Satan does not want people to believe that he (or hell) exist.

You believe in hell??

Can you define hell?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:07 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Ever read Dante's Inferno?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:11 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You believe in hell?? Can you define hell?
I believe it exists, but I am not going to get into it as there are hundeds of hell threads on ths board. You can open another thead about it if you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity