Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph1980 View Post
There is nothing worth fearing in this world.

"Being near to God" is being obedient to Him.

Being obedient to Him has nothing but good consequences, this is why obedience (perfect love) drives out fear of punishment.

As I have shown in my previous reply to you, the Bible does talk about a place for terror as well as reverential awe for the Lord. What is disconcerting is how many people think that we don't need to fear God regardless of whether we are being obedient or not.
We are NOT pets in an obedience trial, Steph . . . we are children in the process of maturing. Those who stagnate at the obedience level of understanding God (thanks to the retained ancient ignorance by religious indoctrination) are tainting the true love of God that is possible and expected in this life. Children do not fear their parents' correction as adults. They understand and accept their responsibility for themselves and their actions . . . including any consequences. Biblean idolatry under the absurd belief in inerrancy and DICTATED words of God has corrupted our understanding of our loving Father and our relationship to Him. God is not relying on the words "written in ink". He is relying on Christ's Holy Spirit to guide us to what God has "written in our hearts" so we would not need any men to teach us. God is NOT a GodFather . . . He is our Father, God. Failure to apply 2000+ years of accumulated knowledge to understanding our God and foolishly relying on the interpretations and understanding of our ignorant ancient ancestors as recorded in scripture has been criminally negligent behavior of religious leadership, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 03:14 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
*Samuel did what the LORD said. When he arrived at Bethlehem, the elders of the town trembled when they met him. They asked, “Do you come in peace?”. 1 Samuel 16.

Here is a classic example of the mindset that believes God is some sort of tribal God that comes in terror and dread. It is also worth noting that if your Elders see God this way, you can guarantee that is the way they relate God to the flock.

When Jesus showed up at the towns and villages of Israel there was usually great anticipation, expectancy, joy and amazement with the people, unfortunately those who were called to shepherd the flock were not of the same disposition, they couldn't believe that the word of God could turn up and be peace on earth and goodwill to all men.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:40 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
It is disturbing to me that there is very little fear of God these days. The teachings of Scripture about judgment and the terror of the Lord are written off as "N/A" for the Christian, and not urgent for the unbeliever. Jesus is only characterized according to what is palatable to the listener. Obeying God is optional. Being a disciple of Jesus means being a "committed Christian" (implying that there is some other variety?)... What has happened??

Where is the fear of the Lord?
It never ceases to amaze me! Now the fundies are upset over the loos of the fear of God?

You all just LOVE unpleasant, restrictive, negative, religion. Religion that makes you frightened, sad, worried and limited.

My faith does the opposite - it makes me feel powerful, fearless and liberated!

NORMAL RELIGIONS! - Try 'em!

Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Jesus coming to judge the world is definitely a reason for people to repent.

Acts 17:30-31
Acts 10:42-43
If you have reason to repent, I suppose that you should.
What you should net do - not ever, is tell OTHERS that they need to repent.
That is between them and their God.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
great post. 50 years of the good life did this. we reinvented God as a buddy dad, an ATM dad who forgave all transgressions w/o penalty ongoing.
gone are consequences for our actions. the God of 1944 who filled the churches standing room only, was not like that.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:40 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,089,079 times

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
Yoda

Interesting how a fictional character figured it out....Of course, religion...fiction....

Last edited by LargeKingCat; 02-17-2012 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Photo

Old 02-17-2012, 06:53 PM

11,267 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
There is nothing worth fearing in this world.
I fear another term with Obama. Is this a legitimate fear? If this country wants to be stable again, I think it's a real fear. What say you?

Then again, I'm a realist. I don't have time to wait for God to fix everything. You might. And that's cool, I guess.....

My bad..... I forgot I wasn't in the P&OC forum.......

Old 02-18-2012, 03:33 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,058 times
1 My son, if you receive my words
and treasure up my commandments with you,
2 making your ear attentive to wisdom
and inclining your heart to understanding;
3 yes, if you call out for insight
and raise your voice for understanding,
4 if you seek it like silver
and search for it as for hidden treasures,
5 then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God.
6 For the Lord gives wisdom;
from his mouth come knowledge and understanding;
7 he stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
he is a shield to those who walk in integrity,
8 guarding the paths of justice
and watching over the way of his saints.

Proverbs 2

Old 02-18-2012, 03:41 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
If you have reason to repent, I suppose that you should.
What you should net do - not ever, is tell OTHERS that they need to repent.
That is between them and their God.

10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil. 11Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade others. (2 Corinthians 5)

Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 PM

84 posts, read 112,795 times
Steph, I don't see how there can be any peace in what you claim as Christianity. I feel like there is this mentality that we have to make the so called "gospel" tougher so that we can be sure we are the elect. This all goes back to the fact that we are looking at God through the lens of people from 2,000 years ago who had a limited understanding of God and had a lot of pagan influences in thier own filters of their minds that contributed to this whole terror of the Lord mentality. God is a father. He does discipline, but this whole business that society needs to start fearing God is the same nonsense that keeps people from coming to God in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity