Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I want to draw the readers attention to something. To do so, I first will repost four passages from the first post.

Matthew 27:57 'When it was evening, there came a rich man from Arimathea, named Joseph, who himself had also become a disciple of Jesus. 58] This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus....62] Now on the next day, which is the one after the preparation, the chief priests and the Pharisees gathered together with Pilate 63] and said, ''Sir, we remember that when He was still alive that deceiver said, 'After three days I am to rise again.' I know the word Sabbath isn't mentioned here, but this passage is in agreement with the other passages.

Mark 15:42 'When evening had already come, because it was the preparation day, that is, the day before the Sabbath, 43] Joseph of Arimathea came, a prominent member of the Council, who himself was waiting for the kingdom of God; and he gathered up courage and went in before Pilate, and asked for the body of Jesus.

Luke 23:54 'It was the preparation day, and the Sabbath was about to begin. 55] Now the women who had come with Him out of Galilee followed, and saw the tomb and how His body was laid. 56] Then they returned and prepared spices and perfumes. And on the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment.

John 19:31 'Then the Jews, because it was the day of preparation, so that the bodies would not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

All four gospels show that Jesus was crucified and died on the preparation day before the Sabbath. That's a fixed point.

John 19:14 however, says something a little different.

John 19:14 'Now it was the day of preparation for the Passover; it was about the sixth hour. And he (Pilate) said to the Jews, ''Behold your king!''

John did not contradict Matthew, Mark or Luke. And he didn't contradict himself. (John 19:4 contrasted with John 19:31. Sabbath or Passover?)

Now the following is what I want to draw the readers attention to.

In John 19:31, John refers to the day of preparation before the Sabbath. That Sabbath is a special Sabbath because it is the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread which is on Nisan 15, the day after Passover on which day Christ was crucified which was Nisan 14.

Now in John 19:14, John had called it the day of preparation for the Passover. But both John 19:14 and John 19:31 are covering the same day. In John 19:14 Jesus is about to be crucified. It is 6 A.M. Jesus was put on the cross at 9 A.M.

In John 19:31 John calls it the day of preparation for the Sabbath, and Jesus has already died (John 19:33).

Both references are to the same day. John 19:14 is the morning of Nisan 14, and John 19:31 is around 3 P.M. in the afternoon of Nisan 14. The same day. The day of Passover proper. The day of Jesus' crucifixion.

All of the events in John chapter 19 are taking place on the same day. And in that chapter, John has referred to the day of preparation as the day before the Passover, and the day before the Sabbath. But both references concern the same day. And the day of preparation for the Passover is Nisan 14 in which the Jews had to prepare for the feast of Unleavened Bread which began on Nisan 15 and continued to Nisan 21.

And all four Gospels have stated quite clearly that Jesus was crucified on the day of preparation for the Sabbath - The first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

The Gospel of John is in agreement with the synoptic Gospels that Jesus Christ was crucified on Passover day which was on Nisan 14.

And please refer back to posts #1 and #10.
Thanks Mike. I'll take all this into consideration for my studies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Mike or anyone. Can you explain these Scriptures. I don't know what they mean but I have been told that there were of coarse the regular Sabbath and also a special Sabbath but on a different day.. Perhaps that is why we have this debate on which day Jesus was crucified.

LEV 23:27 Also on the tenth day of this seventh month[Nisan] there shall be a day of atonement: it shall be an holy convocation unto you; and you shall afflict your souls, and offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
LEV 23:32 It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and you shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall you celebrate your sabbath.
LEV 23:39 Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when you have gathered in the fruit of the land, you shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath.
LEV 23:40 And you shall take you on the first day the boughs of goodly trees, branches of palm trees, and the boughs of thick trees, and willows of the brook; and you shall rejoice before the LORD your God seven days.
Garya, Nisan is the name of the First month of the Jewish year. The seventh month has a different name.

Israel of course had the weekly Saturday Sabbath, but there were also special Sabbaths associated with certain holidays. Lev 23 is referring to the day of Atonement and of course involved a Sabbath.

It is the same with the Feast of Unleavened Bread which took place on Nisan 15 (the 15th being a Sabbath day) and lasted until Nisan 21.
And that is what I am attempting to get people to understand so that it becomes clear that John is in agreement with the other Gospels. Jesus was crucified on Nisan 14, Passover proper.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks Mike. I'll take all this into consideration for my studies.
You're welcome.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,746 times
Quote:
Garya, Nisan is the name of the First month of the Jewish year. The seventh month has a different name.

Israel had of course the weekly Saturday Sabbath, but there were also special Sabbaths associated with certain holidays. Lev 23 is referring to the day of Atonement and of course involved a Sabbath.

It is the same with the Feast of Unleavened Bread which took place on Nisan 15 (the 15th being a Sabbath day) and lasted until Nisan 21.
And that is what I am attempting to get people to understand so that it becomes clear that John is in agreement with the other Gospels. Jesus was crucified on Nisan 14, Passover proper.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the Hebrew calendar month.

Nisan (or Nissan) (Hebrew: נִיסָן‎, Standard Nisan Tiberian Nîsān) is the first month of the ecclesiastical year and the seventh month (eighth, in leap year) of the civil year, on the Hebrew calendar. The name of the month is Babylonian; in the Torah it is called the month of the Aviv, referring to the month in which barley was ripe. It is a spring month of 30 days. Nisan usually falls in March–April on the Gregorian calendar. In the Book of Esther in the Tanakh it is referred to as Nisan.

Ok. I was using the civil Hebrew calendar in my post. My mistake.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the Hebrew calendar month.

Nisan (or Nissan) (Hebrew: נִיסָן‎, Standard Nisan Tiberian Nîsān) is the first month of the ecclesiastical year and the seventh month (eighth, in leap year) of the civil year, on the Hebrew calendar. The name of the month is Babylonian; in the Torah it is called the month of the Aviv, referring to the month in which barley was ripe. It is a spring month of 30 days. Nisan usually falls in March–April on the Gregorian calendar. In the Book of Esther in the Tanakh it is referred to as Nisan.

Ok. I was using the civil Hebrew calendar in my post. My mistake.
That's okay. I didn't know there was a distinction between an ecclesiastical year and a civil year, and that the seventh month of a civil year is also called Nisan.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:13 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,043,639 times
Quote:
I want to draw the readers attention to something. To do so, I first will repost four passages from the first post.

Mark 15:42 'When evening had already come, because it was the preparation day, that is, the day before the Sabbath, 43] Joseph of Arimathea came, a prominent member of the Council, who himself was waiting for the kingdom of God; and he gathered up courage and went in before Pilate, and asked for the body of Jesus.

John 19:14 however, says something a little different.

John 19:14 'Now it was the day of preparation for the Passover; it was about the sixth hour. And he (Pilate) said to the Jews, ''Behold your king!''
- Edited for clarity.

Mike - you contradict yourself.
Mark 14:42 and John 19:14 say it all.

You quote both verses, but you just don't get it. Just keep reading - it'll come eventually. You're letting these days confuse you endlessly, not realizing that sometimes a day can coincide with another day.

Despite this - in my previous post, I quoted from the Gospel of Mark to show the many verses that specificy that Jesus died on the Passover Day. If you wish to deny this using Mark 14:42 and a faulty understanding of coinciding days, then you are ignoring what Mark has already written concerning the matter.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,043,639 times
Quote:
That's okay. I didn't know there was a distinction between an ecclesiastical year and a civil year, and that the seventh month of a civil year is also called Nisan.
No offense, but you're trying to convince everyone that you have a proper understanding of Jewish Holy Days and can thus "harmonize" John to Mark - yet you post the above admission? That is revealing - to be sure.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
- Edited for clarity.

Mike - you contradict yourself.
Mark 14:42 and John 19:14 say it all.

You quote both verses, but you just don't get it. Just keep reading - it'll come eventually. You're letting these days confuse you endlessly, not realizing that sometimes a day can coincide with another day.

Despite this - in my previous post, I quoted from the Gospel of Mark to show the many verses that specificy that Jesus died on the Passover Day. If you wish to deny this using Mark 14:42 and a faulty understanding of coinciding days, then you are ignoring what Mark has already written concerning the matter.
No Whoppers. It is you who don't get it. You can keep your eyes closed, or you can open them. Your choice. Of course Mark says that Jesus died on Passover day. The whole point of this thread is that John also says that Jesus died on Passover day. There is no contradiction.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
No offense, but you're trying to convince everyone that you have a proper understanding of Jewish Holy Days and can thus "harmonize" John to Mark - yet you post the above admission? That is revealing - to be sure.
All I'm trying to do is to get people to understand that John is in agreement with the other gospels regarding the fact that Jesus died on Passover day. I have provided the Scripture which proves this, and I have provided commentary which explains this.

What you are now doing is engaging in bickering. And I am not going to indulge you.

All four Gospels agree that Jesus was crucified on Passover.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:54 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,721,645 times
Quote:
All I'm trying to do is to get people to understand that John is in agreement with the other gospels regarding the fact that Jesus died on Passover day. I have provided the Scripture which proves this, and I have provided commentary which explains this.

What you are now doing is engaging in bickering. And I am not going to indulge you.

All four Gospels agree that Jesus was crucified on Passover.
RESPONSE:

Not if you observe the plain meaning of words. John doesn't mention Jesus' Passover meal that the synoptic gospels mention, because, in John's version, Jesus was already dead. The day of preparation for the passover is the day before the Passover, not the Passover itself.

John 19:14-15
14 And it was the preparation of the passover: it was about the sixth hour. And he says to the Jews: Behold your king.
15 They therefore cried out: Away with him, away with him, crucify him.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 02-20-2012 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity