Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God IS love. Christ manifests God's love on earth for us all. Everyone who loves is born of god ((begotten). It is not possible to love without resonating with Christ's love for us all.Bottom line: Without love we do nothing matters.
1 John 3:23 (King James Version)

23And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

1 John 4:7 (King James Version)

7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

1 John 4:11-12 (King James Version)

11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

12No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1 John 4:21 (King James Version)

21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

John 13:34 (King James Version)

34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 15:9-10 (King James Version)

9As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

10If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15:12 (King James Version)

12This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15:17 (King James Version)

17These things I command you, that ye love one another.

1 Corinthians 13 (New International Version)
Love
1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father

Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 10:02 AM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father

Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
You are confusing worldly love (Eros) with God's love (Agape) . . . a common error.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:57 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
You are confusing worldly love (Eros) with God's love (Agape) . . . a common error.
To the contrary. The kind of love mentioned is agape love.

1 John 2:15 Do not love (agapate - agapaó - Verb) the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves (agapa - agapaó - Verb) the world, the love (agapé - Noun) of the Father is not in him.

While the word 'eros' is found in secular Greek literature, it is never used in the Bible itself.

Take a look >> 1 John 2:15 Biblos Interlinear Bible

Old 12-16-2012, 02:09 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,857 times
Quote:
You and others have taken this thread far beyond what it should have been. The first post is clear and should end there.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
To the contrary. The kind of love mentioned is agape love.

1 John 2:15 Do not love (agapate - agapaó - Verb) the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves (agapa - agapaó - Verb) the world, the love (agapé - Noun) of the Father is not in him.

While the word 'eros' is found in secular Greek literature, it is never used in the Bible itself.

Take a look >> 1 John 2:15 Biblos Interlinear Bible
I didn't say the scripture was confusing them . . . I said I thought perhaps Follower of X was.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
You and others have taken this thread far beyond what it should have been. The first post is clear and should end there.
That is not how discussion forums operate, Follower. The OP doesn't get to express an opinion and that's that. Discussion always ensues and is designed to challenge and clarify the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity