Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Right, just like with the man born blind. Why was he blind, so that the works of God would be made manifest in Him. Yes, we see the work of God in defeating satan, the victory of good over evil and we glorify God for it. Here God is demonstrating His power over sin and evil, just as He did with Pharoah, whom He hardened for a reason. God bless and peace.
Amen. We are all "born blind" so to speak, in our "free will," thinking we can go it alone.

Paul's message was: God has reconciled the world to Himself (in giving us the possibility to walk in His Spirit as we should, I believe).. be reconciled to God!

The least of believers is greater than all those of the OT. I believe this is because we have His Spirit in us to help us, unlike them.

Blessings Shana,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,389,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
God also told satan "go" and much damage was done in Job's family.

There is a difference between destruction that comes in terms of disease and disaster, which is obviously satan's work (who else??), and the temptation that satan bring to man.

. God doesn't tempt man. Satan tempts man when God gives him room to do so.

. Man, IF he falls to the temptation, sins: lies, steals, kills, hates, etc.

WHEN we trust in God with all our heart, satan's temptations are of little effect. We can stand strong, because God's Spirit helps us.

All of the OT people (until Jesus rose from the dead) were not able to trust in God to the degree that you and I can do today, because now the Holy Spirit has been poured into our hearts. The OT people didn't have that.

Blessings,
brian

The story of Job is NOT the story of Jobs trial.

Job is NOT on trial in that book GOD IS.

From the beginning of the book until God revealed Himself is the story of how the carnal mind via the letter of the law judges God.

Satan says to God Job only loves you because you keep him safe but if you did not keep him safe Job would curse you. This is basically saying to God you don't really know Job heart. If you do prove it, take away the fence.

God was on trial.

Then we go on to read how Jobs 3 friends use the law against God, the law says so and so, thus God is doing this to you because of your sins.

Job says now just wait a minute there guys, God is not doing this because of any sin that I have done God is for some unknown reason, but yes God is doing it.

God was on trial.

Then God shows up on the scene and reveals Himself to Job and Job repents of all that he had heard and understood about God.

I cannot help but see many parallels with what took place in the book of Job with the discussion we are having on this thread.

Many from the ET camp would be liken to Jobs 3 friends and many from the Universalist camp would be like Job. Just look at some of the things each side state about God.

Job 10:8-10
8 Thine hands have made me and fashioned me together round about; yet thou dost destroy me. 9 Remember, I beseech thee, that thou hast made me as the clay; and wilt thou bring me into dust again? 10 Hast thou not poured me out as milk, and curdled me like cheese?

Does this not sound just like what you guys keep saying about God?

Both parties however are wrong in their conclusion of God. God upbraided Job for his lack of understanding of God.

What was Jobs understanding of God again

Job 10:8-10
8 Thine hands have made me and fashioned me together round about; yet thou dost destroy me. 9 Remember, I beseech thee, that thou hast made me as the clay; and wilt thou bring me into dust again? 10 Hast thou not poured me out as milk, and curdled me like cheese?

According to God this understanding of Him, which so many here state as the true understanding of God, is what Job repented of when He came to SEE God clearly.

So in other words stop using your carnal minds via the letter of the law to understand God because you are putting God on trial.

To understand God clearly we need only to look on Jesus.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM

987 posts, read 1,119,212 times
Perhaps God could have created us knowing good and evil without having to go through all this. But He didn't. Why? I would suggest it's because this was a better plan.

What I think is that we disagree on whether God made us expecting man to be exactly what He wanted us to be or not. If He did and we aren't what He expected by our responses then we have the choice to believe He either chose not to know what we would do or wasn't able to know or is letting us figure it out without help, or perhaps with a little help. There are many different ways one can go. So each point we answer is going to make us differ from at least a few other people. Then when you start out at a place that people get to by taking many different turns, none of us makes sense to the other. If you don't think the Old Testament speaks truly of God, then you can't have a reasonable discussion with someone who believes the scriptures even when they say something about the Creator we don't want to believe because of our picture of God. (And by stating we have choices, I believe He takes us to those points and each choice of each person leads to another path that God set up...per se He doesn't control our thoughts, and yet......that's another rabbit trail.)

So this is all circular reasoning. I see scripture talking about the Right Hand of God and also the Left Hand. I believe the Left Hand is where the evil influences spring from, such as the lying spirit God sent to Ahab, Hebrews tells us that God scourges every Son. And many other verses support God using people, other nations, etc. as His tools to inflict discipline in order to turn His people.

I am not sure I can explain it, but in my view, God viewed every scenario and chose this one. In this one, we are allowed an illusion of free will and self determination, the opportunities to use information from past choices in the next choice we make, and so on, until, at some point, we are where God has ultimatley planned for us to be.

I don't see that God could have created us and not known what we would do, how we think, etc. No matter what way He did it. A human who creates a robot knows exactly how its mechanism for inferring logic and choices works. As humans are fallible tho, the robot might malfunction and not be able to work at all, or because of some mistake by that creator, it may do something unexpected. But the God I see, the one I believe the Bible reveals, declares everything is out of Him and through Him and To Him. So I don't believe He was surprised or withheld knowledge from Himself. I don't think anything we do actually surprises Him, and I don't think even any idea could be something He didn't think of. Yes, I believe God arranged for all the horrible things that happen so that we have a full and unlimited knowledge of evil, all of which was included in the tree of knowledge and evil, since He created that too. Some might want to compare Him doing this to an evil man who tortures his children just because it pleases him or because he is insane, but I see it as a God who desired for His children to know evil as He knows it. In order for Him to be God, in my opinion, He knew the full extent of evil before He created us. But He WILL redeem us, (He has but from our vantage point we are not there yet). He allowed us to crucify His beloved son and I believe this was not only for Him to reconcile us, but for us to reconcile to Him. All our pain was laid on Him, the pain we are made to endure. This is OUR satisfaction, that we know He knows our pain and losses. And who would say that that wasn't good enough? Especially when He makes us whole, seats us in the heavenlies, presents us an eternity to enjoy true life without evil or sorrow or tears.

We, as parents, do not have to provide an experience of evil for our children because evil is already in the world and they will encounter it quite early in life. WE do however, begin very early to teach them that they must share, must refrain from doing what they want, for their own health and safety and to ensure the harmony of first the family, and then the outside world. They learn consequences of not heeding 'laws' and they learn pain, they learn they must wait sometimes before the parent tends to their needs. If you know of a child who hasn't hit a sibling either to get a toy he wants away from him or for taking his toy, or doesn't throw a tantrum because the parent doesn't give him attention or whatever the moment he wants it, there is probably something biologically wrong with that child. (And I believe that serves His purposes also and that child will be fully satisfied when God has brought Him to the place of a Son) A child MIGHT be loving and seemingly appreciate a parent who always showered him with love, attention, all its needs, but the longer that situation lasts, I would bet the bigger and nastier the tantrum that would occur the first time he didn't get what he wanted.

I regret that some think I have painted a reprehensible picture of our God. I don't agree. But obviously, in my view, God provided for many to have differing opinions to test our own ideas against.

Job, whether an actual man or a metaphor, was declared by God to be perfect and righteous, yet when He brought him to Satan's attention he was not tried or tested. When the book ended, He was tested and tried and stronger. Job 23:10 He knows the way that I take. When He tries me, I shall come forth as refined gold. God did not mean to have children with hedges built around them, IN MY OPINION, lol.

The swordsmith takes raw metal, hammers it, purges the dross out in the fire, and creates an instrument fit for the use for which it was prepared.

I believe the mistake many make, is that we think we are supposed to learn a few things and do certain things in this life and then we will have a reward in eternity. My opinion is that He intentionally created clay/raw material which would have to be hammered and fired in order to be strong. THIS LIFE is the forge and God is preparing sons, preparing us for a much higher purpose. To me, the end all isn't about bringing us home to Himself, but tho that is included, and I see a rest for us certainly, but I see that as just the BEGINNING and we will see what He has planned for the next ages. I imagine it to be quite exciting. But that's just me.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Can you provide other translations that say this same thing?

Generally, when such notable differences are found between translations, I prefer to find as many translations as possible and compare them. The KJV is good, although I don't say that it's perfect.

(It still wouldn't change my conviction that God made satan, however.)

Curious to know what you find.

Peace,
brian
I am not going to do all your homework for you brother. but it does not really matter the Septugiant was the bible in the days of Jesus, the KJV and all others were written afterwords.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:31 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Default God uses satan for His purposes

Our ancient ancestors' cognitive abilities were minimal and the distinctions we take for granted today about attributions did NOT exist yet. EVERYTHING was attributed to God automatically and unconsciously in speech and writing. The way they would describe what we today describe as "He was hard-hearted" . . . they would always use a phrase like "God hardened his heart." To believe that they knew or were inspired to say such a thing deliberately is just one of the myriad traps in logic possible when you "believe every word" was dictated by God. Inspiration is NOT dictation. The beliefs, superstitions, idioms, speech and communication attributes of our ancestors MUST be known and taken into account when interpreting their writings. Treating what was communicated by very primitive minds in the OT (and barely evolving minds in the NT) AS IF it was being communicated by a modern adult using English is just madness . . . NOT Faith in God.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
I am not going to do all your homework for you brother. but it does not really matter the Septugiant was the bible in the days of Jesus, the KJV and all others were written afterwords.
Don't stress it. I've checked several translations already and they all say what the KJV says. So maybe all of Christendom should be reading the septuagint, who knows.

Still, you can believe what you want. As for me, I'm quite convinced that God made "the waster to destroy." Satan has never been out of God's control. But Adam is quite rebellious. And Adam is in all of us, and still wants to rebel. (And he gets kicked out of heaven every time. )

The belief that God uses a wrecking ball and crane to tear down man's works of confusion, does not equate with God being evil. Aisi. He loves us, and as you said in your previous post, we see the Father when we see Jesus.

Blessings,
brian

Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Right, just like with the man born blind. Why was he blind, so that the works of God would be made manifest in Him. Yes, we see the work of God in defeating satan, the victory of good over evil and we glorify God for it. Here God is demonstrating His power over sin and evil, just as He did with Pharoah, whom He hardened for a reason. God bless and peace.

That scripture does NOT say anything like that.

And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents:

The answer Jesus gave to their question was NEITHER.

Then Jesus said let the works of God be made manifest in him.

The original Greek does not have :"but that the" or "he was born blind that the" or any other such thing.

These are added words by the translators that believed the pagan Platonian/Augustine view of God. They are simply NOT in the original Greek.

And that Jesus said let the works of God be made manifest and then healed the blind man shows that God was not the cause of the mans blindness.

These translator have handled the scriptures and given them the Platonian/Augustine slant and we see this in other scriptures.

Example: Acts 2:47 says
47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

But that is not what the original says it really says

Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as were being saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our ancient ancestors' cognitive abilities were minimal and the distinctions we take for granted today about attributions did NOT exist yet. EVERYTHING was attributed to God automatically and unconsciously in speech and writing. The way they would describe what we today describe as "He was hard-hearted" . . . they would always use a phrase like "God hardened his heart." To believe that they knew or were inspired to say such a thing deliberately is just one of the myriad traps in logic possible when you "believe every word" was dictated by God. Inspiration is NOT dictation. The beliefs, superstitions, idioms, speech and communication attributes of our ancestors MUST be known and taken into account when interpreting their writings. Treating what was communicated by very primitive minds in the OT (and barely evolving minds in the NT) AS IF it was being communicated by a modern adult using English is just madness . . . NOT Faith in God.
Mystic,
I agree with you that the OT people did not have the blessing of God's Spirit within them to teach and guide them.

However, I don't have a problem believing that the OT scriptures were "guided" by God's hand, in spite man's limited understanding at that time. The two conditions do not cancel each other out.

However, if you consider the OT writers to be so wrong, you can just not consider it a part of the Bible.

Peace,
brian

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Pcamps, I agree with you that His Spirit is what sets us free. The carnal mind is enmity against God, yes. Satan is not carnal, but a spirit. And when God/Jesus tells him, "go" he goes. Remember the swine on the hill? Did they obey Jesus?

Peace,
brian
To be carnally minded is spiritual darkness, its a spirit problem, Jesus told Peter get behind me satan , he told James and John they did not know what spirit they were of, he told the Pharisees they were of the Father the devil(a spirit).

Old 02-18-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
To be carnally minded is spiritual darkness, its a spirit problem, Jesus told Peter get behind me satan , he told James and John they did not know what spirit they were of, he told the Pharisees they were of the Father the devil(a spirit).
Notice that all of these examples ^^^ happened before Jesus was glorified. Until that time, the only "father" that men had was the devil, since they didn't have the Spirit abiding within them.

Today most of us still are not spiritually minded (trusting in God) but carnal (trusting in men).

Again, I agree with you, that without God, we can do nothing. It's all God's Power that does the work.

(last post for tonight, it's late here.)

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity