Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:38 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Personally, I would have to accept it because if that is how it is, then God's will be done, however, I would not want to be with Him. I would not be reconciled to Him. I would not be able to trust Him knowing that He says one thing and does another, which would be the greatest abuse in the universe. He would be like a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, saying that He is agape love and the Savior of all, yet in His omniscience destines the majority or even one to an eternal hell. It is not reflective of agape love and He knows all things.

1 Corin. 13: 4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 [b]bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

God bless and peace.
Precisely, Shana. I concluded long ago that IF that were the truth about God, I could not worship him even if I wanted to - even if I tried to, it would be fake worship. That is why I was screwed up for so many years about God - I was trying to force myself to pretend to trust in and love that false image of God and I just never could do it and I knew in the deep recesses of my heart that I really didn't trust a Creator who was eternally furious with certain of his creatures. My mother was an ET believer and it made her into a hard-hearted woman. The only thing she ever could share with me about God was everything to do with fear - it was never about joy and peace. I think children of atheists have better childhoods than children of fanatic ET Christians.

BTW, you know there is something wrong with your message when you can't share it with small children.

Peace -
Heartsong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
An acedemic question.

Let's pretend you guys are wrong about God. So what if the ET folk (the Orthodox view) are correct and indeed people who don't accept Jesus as savior in this life end up in a bad place, Hell if you will-the Lake of Fire, for all eternity...would you be OK with God?

Would you say something like "yes Lord, your will be done" or...? Something else.

I am just curious and not of a mind to debate.

Have a good evening and God Bless.
I realize you don't want to debate, but how about answering this: if you are wrong about God, and you must have accepted the Muslim faith or Hindu or ______ fill in the blank, or burn in hell, would you be ok with God?

If God's nature is such that one must cognitively accept certain religious beliefs in order not to be burned in hell for eternity, then it's really all just a crap-shoot. Cross your fingers and hope you are reading the "right" holy book and believing the "right" things, or you're screwed.

If, on the other hand, God's nature is Love, then God can be trusted by each of us to never abandon us to remaining in the way of sin and death but to bring us into the way of Life, which IS love. Is your faith in your ability to believe the "right things" so that you will have appeased God's wrath, or do you have faith in God and in God's desire and ability to lead you in the way of Life?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM

14,876 posts, read 17,146,555 times
Quote:
Precisely, Shana. I concluded long ago that IF that were the truth about God, I could not worship him even if I wanted to - even if I tried to, it would be fake worship. That is why I was screwed up for so many years about God - I was trying to force myself to pretend to trust in and love that false image of God and I just never could do it and I knew in the deep recesses of my heart that I really didn't trust a Creator who was eternally furious with certain of his creatures. My mother was an ET believer and it made her into a hard-hearted woman. The only thing she ever could share with me about God was everything to do with fear - it was never about joy and peace. I think children of atheists have better childhoods than children of fanatic ET Christians.

BTW, you know there is something wrong with your message when you can't share it with small children.

Peace -
Heartsong

Thanks for sharing, Heartsong. God bless.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
An acedemic question.

Let's pretend you guys are wrong about God. So what if the ET folk (the Orthodox view) are correct and indeed people who don't accept Jesus as savior in this life end up in a bad place, Hell if you will-the Lake of Fire, for all eternity...would you be OK with God?

Would you say something like "yes Lord, your will be done" or...? Something else.

I am just curious and not of a mind to debate.

Have a good evening and God Bless.
Hi Mike, -- Seems like the consensus is that our infinite, Almighty, Sovereign God can only do that which
"..... some folks expect, understand and agree with ... using finite human rationale and reasoning." -- Even though scripture says otherwise.

On the other side of the coin, If I was wrong and God's plan was actually to save everyone, I would simply declare, "Praise God --- You are Lord, ... not me". But, for now, I can only trust what His Word says, whether I completely understand or agree with it.

(For example, How could the 'loving God defined by the UR crowd' possibly have told the nation of Israel to kill everyone in Canaan when they entered the land?) ... Doesn't sound very loving to me.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:58 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I realize you don't want to debate, but how about answering this: if you are wrong about God, and you must have accepted the Muslim faith or Hindu or ______ fill in the blank, or burn in hell, would you be ok with God?

If God's nature is such that one must cognitively accept certain religious beliefs in order not to be burned in hell for eternity, then it's really all just a crap-shoot. Cross your fingers and hope you are reading the "right" holy book and believing the "right" things, or you're screwed.

If, on the other hand, God's nature is Love, then God can be trusted by each of us to never abandon us to remaining in the way of sin and death but to bring us into the way of Life, which IS love. Is your faith in your ability to believe the "right things" so that you will have appeased God's wrath, or do you have faith in God and in God's desire and ability to lead you in the way of Life?
Well said, Pleroo . . . but I still can't rep you.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM

How many who believe in eternal hell today would accept the salvation of all, including Hitler, murderers, rapists, and so on . How many would embrace them as brothers and sisters, or they have a problem with this, not realizing that God is able to destroy the old sinful man, and that He is able to make all things new? Would that be acceptable to them? I believe that in that day, they will have their eyes opened, and embrace the magnificient work of God in restoring all of creation to Himself. God bless and peace.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,366 times
Quote:
Personally, I would have to accept it because if that is how it is, then God's will be done, however, I would not want to be with Him. I would not be reconciled to Him. I would not be able to trust Him knowing that He says one thing and does another, which would be the greatest abuse in the universe. He would be like a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, saying that He is agape love and the Savior of all, yet in His omniscience destines the majority or even one to an eternal hell. It is not reflective of agape love and He knows all things.
WOW. The implications of this are immeasurable. Truly saddens me....

By the way, if what's written above is true then you wouldn't really accept it....just saying.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:05 AM

987 posts, read 1,118,511 times
Quote:

1 Corin. 13: 4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 [b]bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

God bless and peace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post

Peace -
Heartsong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

I love all your answers.

I honestly don't have a clue what I would do. Probably cry and gnash my teeth and yet scriptures promise there are no more tears so I have no idea how that could be possible. Would He prepare me a heart that is more merciful and forgiving than His? I can't fathom that.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM

HI Alpha, it is good to see you again. I would have no choice but to accept it, if is true, but I would not want to be with Him. For example, If you choose to donate your money to a cause which will only serve to hurt others, I have to accept it. I have no choice. It is your money. I would not want to be with you, though. God bless.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Would He prepare me a heart that is more merciful and forgiving than His? I can't fathom that.
Amen. His love, mercy, justice, compassion, kindness, is so much greater than we could ever have. God bless and peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity