Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM

201 posts, read 236,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
and the "eternal fire" is GOD "a consuming fire" consuming as in consuming sin
So the eternal fire that Jesus talks about in Matthew 25:41 is actually God? God is going to cast the devil and his demons into Himself? That's quite the perverted interpretation. Excuse me if I don't agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If believing in Eternal Torment is crucial to being truly 'saved', as a few claim, and if one feels in his heart that torturing people forever is totally wrong, does God require that that person hardens his or her heart to his own feelings of mercy in order to, ironically enough, be embraced in the bosom of Love itself?

Do you think Universalists are more loving have a more positive view of God?

If Universalists are in error, perhaps the entire 'God is Love' paradigm must be re-thought. Maybe the old school fire'n'brimstone preachers were more correct.
Is creating a more 'convenient' religion really a loving thing to do?

Is believing the truth really so unloving?

"If you do not believe what I believe, then you are unloving". Listen to you.....

Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
The eternal torment message is the wrong message to the world. It's one of unforgiveness and not forgiveness, it contradicts all that is the good news.

We are ambassadors of Reconcilation and of Forgivness, which is, God is not counting sin against you so be reconciled to him. Tell the world otherwise they will run, hide and be in fear.

Years ago having understood that God was not holding my sin against me, I returned back to him. I wrote this short chorus at that time of the wonder of knowing God was for me not against me.

I'm forgiven and what can I say
I'm forgiven saved by His grace
Now I've no need to run
I've no need to hide
No need to fear
With you by my side.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:39 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
We are ambassadors of Reconcilation and of Forgivness, which is, God is not counting sin against you so be reconciled to him. Tell the world otherwise they will run, hide and be in fear.

Years ago having understood that God was not holding my sin against me, I returned back to him. I wrote this short chorus at that time of the wonder of knowing God was for me not against me.

I'm forgiven and what can I say
I'm forgiven saved by His grace
Now I've no need to run
I've no need to hide
No need to fear
With you by my side.
"We"? Are you back to being a universalist?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
"We"? Are you back to being a universalist?
Believers .

Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,372,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
Quite simply, you're 100% wrong.
In Jesus' own words from Matthew 25:41 “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels."

This is the same fire spoke of in Revelation 20:15 "If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."

So yeah, eternal torment is absolutely real. Although, it's certainly not a popular teaching for most churches, as they're more concerned with boosting membership and $$$ than they are with teaching the truth of God's word.
If the gospel is what you say it is here ^^^, then the early church got it all wrong. Poor disciples...

BTW, it's hellfire preaching that fills the pews. Tell people that God loves sinners and they won't come back..

Peace,
brian

Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM

811 posts, read 810,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
If the gospel is what you say it is here ^^^, then the early church got it all wrong. Poor disciples...

BTW, it's hellfire preaching that fills the pews.
what you say is so true but it also drives people away (see below) so many come out of fear and slo run away out of fear
Quote:
Tell people that God loves sinners and they won't come back..

Peace,
brian
that's what drew me back, for the longest time when I was an "ETer" I stayed away

Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 PM

201 posts, read 236,347 times
There's no way around God's word. Either you believe it or you don't. church doctrine does not have precedence over God's word. And you can't argue with God's word.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:11 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
Believing in the demise of the disobedient who rejects God and His covenant does not require a hardening of the heart , but a heart which is submissive to the understanding that God is not evil and He requires that people obey His Words and God`s essence is love .......... Where people do not have the Spirit of God on their Spirit of man , then the Spirit of man without God Spirit will be lost , as they will not be compatible to God.............. See Gods spirit comes with the type of love which God requires , and also hold the authority for God to develop man with God Spirit , as this will have the image of God which is compatible like the image that Jesus gives and the image of God which Adam and Eve lost in the garden ........... I do not believe that God will torment the lost spirits of man , as the lake of fire will eventually come and end the existence of the lost spirits of man .....See God does want all men and women to be saved and be with Him forever and a day , But God also does not tolerant sin and the controls against the purpose of God

Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,381,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
There's no way around God's word. Either you believe it or you don't. church doctrine does not have precedence over God's word. And you can't argue with God's word.
No, but you can argue with the translation, textual Criticism of certain passages, and theological understanding of the scriptures...Thats all we do here day in and day out, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity