Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There was a thread here some time ago where people shared their personal testimonies and how their faith has changed their lives. You might want to read that thread.
If you point me to the thread, I may do so. But receiving answers to the way I have formulated the questions in this thread will, I believe, be helpful to me. Feel free to answer or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If you point me to the thread, I may do so. But receiving answers to the way I have formulated the questions in this thread will, I believe, be helpful to me. Feel free to answer or not.
Why did you get saved: Why did you get saved..Love of God or fear of burning in hell?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I read that thread. I don't remember it answering the questions I'm asking here. But thanks.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:02 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Default You are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
This is the way I understand it to. I always found the question, "Are you saved?" rather bizarre since I feel we can't know that until after death. It seems like a very dangerous thing for a Christian to go around lightly presuming he is saved. I think it might create a feeling of laxness in diligently searching Him, producing the feeling of, "Well, the work of Christ is done--I don't need to do anything else." Which of course is true, yet--I can't understand how faith can produce in someone anything less than a craving for God. And because of that, that person will search God's word in an effort for a closer relationship with Him and out of love strive to do his part in honoring God's covenant with him. I feel someone may feel like they are saved but are actually not, and that there are others who fear they might not be saved when they are.
As Jesus said (to paraphrase), when the Master of the house is away, the servants will remain on watch to open the door immediately upon His return.

Faith that produces laxness is no faith at all. The worst of sinners may be saved, but the least of the saved are exhibiting their salvation with works that show they are a diligent servant.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
As Jesus said (to paraphrase), when the Master of the house is away, the servants will remain on watch to open the door immediately upon His return.

Faith that produces laxness is no faith at all. The worst of sinners may be saved, but the least of the saved are exhibiting their salvation with works that show they are a diligent servant.
What is it you have faith in, Warden?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's like deja vu.
Thanks. Now I have pcamps answer to what he believes he is saved from:

Originally Posted by pcamps
I believe we are saved from a life of not knowing God in our life and all that results from not knowing him( there's no such place of eternal hell)..................a life of relying upon ourselves,a life of limitation, ruled by our own carnal thinking and reaping the consequences of it.

Pcamps, how is it that you "rely on God" in your life, and how has your life has become less limited? Do you think you can explain/describe that in down-to-earth terms?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Basilixmab, since you are in agreement with John F S, my answers to him are also directed at you.

Also, would you be willing to expand on the statement I bolded in your quote above? Specifically, when you say "faith", are you saying that it is simply faith that God exists that inspires that craving?
Pleroo, I didn't make that statement but I agree with it. And I can't explain exactly why that craving exists other than it must be the conviction of the Holy Spirit so that one may be a faithful servant.

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Heb 11:1 RSV)

Part of Matthew Henry's commentary on the verse:

Quote:
It is a full approval of all God has revealed, as holy, just, and good. This view of faith is explained by many examples of persons in former times, who obtained a good report, or an honourable character in the word of God. Faith was the principle of their holy obedience, remarkable services, and patient sufferings.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
I read that thread. I don't remember it answering the questions I'm asking here. But thanks.
It does answer them, but I'll let you be the judge of what you are looking for specifically.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Pleroo, I didn't make that statement but I agree with it. And I can't explain exactly why that craving exists other than it must be the conviction of the Holy Spirit so that one may be a faithful servant.

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Heb 11:1 RSV)

Part of Matthew Henry's commentary on the verse:
Warden, if I'm understanding correctly, you are saying the same thing that I believe John is saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo
I'm gathering that your belief that Jesus is your God inspires you to try to try to be obedient in order that you will have a good after-life?
So, it's faith that God will reward you in the afterlife that inspires you to do what you believe God is asking of you in order to receive that reward, correct?

Old 08-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Default Not quite

Quote:
Warden, if I'm understanding correctly, you are saying the same thing that I believe John is saying:

So, it's faith that God will reward you in the afterlife that inspires you to do what you believe God is asking of you in order to receive that reward, correct?
I find joy in the doing to be MORE rewarding in this moment than the promise of afterlife which I see but darkly as through a clouded glass.

A true servant, finds joy in pleasing his Master. Who is a faithful servant?---
I. THE CHARACTER OF THE FAITHFUL SERVANT.

1. The faithful servant is one whose service is sincere.

2. The faithful servant is one whose service is unreserved, limited only by his capability.

3. His service is uniform.

4. His service is according to the prescribed rule, "If a man strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully." *2 Tim 2:5)

5. His service is that of faith — the living faith of the heart in the truth of God as revealed to us in Jesus Christ.

It's a nice outline for a sermon.

Matthew Henry's commentary on these early verses in 2 Timothy says in part:

The great care of a Christian must be to please Christ. We are to strive to get the mastery of our lusts and corruptions, but we cannot expect the prize unless we observe the laws. We must take care that we do good in a right manner, that our good may not be spoken evil of. Some who are active, spend their zeal about outward forms and doubtful disputations. But those who strive lawfully shall be crowned at last. If we would partake the fruits, we must labour; if we would gain the prize, we must run the race. We must do the will of God, before we receive the promises, for which reason we have need of patience. Together with our prayers for others, that the Lord would give them understanding in all things, we must exhort and stir them up to consider what they hear or read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity