Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:41 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,032,000 times

Advertisements

Do you think Jesus was born on December 25? Does it really matter?
Was Jesus Born On December 25?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 04:11 AM

668 posts, read 691,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Not a chance. And no it does not matter for we are not told to remember the day of His birth.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:46 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,048,500 times
People can choose to celebrate Christmas on December 25th or not.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:43 AM

757 posts, read 1,025,371 times
Excellent article. I read about the same subject some time ago. The Romans changed the actual birth date of Jesus to Dec 25th just to coincide it with the pagan celebration when they adopted Christianity in the early stage. It was an attempt of the Roman authority to make Christianity more accessible and easily acceptable to the pagan worshipers so that they and Christian-alike could both celebrate together on the same day with the hope that some of the pagans would convert more readily through a rather smooth and less confrontational transition.

However, the article didn’t mention the actual date of Jesus’ birth. It was said to be in the summer around June or July, though no one knew the exact date. But then again it doesn’t matter much to us Christians which day He was born for we’re all celebrating His coming to the world. The date is irrelevant to us.

Thanks for the link to a great site.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:50 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I think there are very few people who actually think the date is December 25.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:25 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,596,541 times
Early Church tradition and some other evidences point to the month
of March, although they are not fully conclusive.

Concerning whether or not we should celebrate it, certainly so.
The Magi traveled far and gave gifts to Jesus.
The Blessed Mother and Saint Joseph, the Angels, and others
all celebrated His birth.
The gifts we give each other on Christmas or on the Epiphany
are small representations of the gifts presented by the Magi to the Infant Jesus,
for He and His Paraclete (Holy Spirit) are within us.
It is certainly more traditional in Christendom to give gifts on the Epiphany,
January 6th, not Christmas.
The British and Americans were commercialized into giving gifts on Christmas Day.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 AM

668 posts, read 691,001 times
A cult I was once a part of claims Jesus was born on April 6th.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:45 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
We aren't just celebrating the birth of a cutesy little baby. We are recognizing the miracle of the incarnation--God becoming man. It's not just about the date. It's about God coming to save sinners.

How many of us get all worked up over celebrating Easter on a day that was likely different from the day of the resurrection?

Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 AM

400 posts, read 602,134 times
Quote:
I see the link is to a piece you wrote. On the homepage is Worrior a typo for Warrior?

The link in your piece for your source about Constantine and the Sabbath goes to Amazing Discoveries. Amazing Discoveries writes,
Quote:
We are a self-supporting ministry that supports the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Denomination - Powered by Kayako Resolve Help Desk Software
I found this article on Amazing Discoveries FROM SABBATH TO SUNDAY BY CARLYLE B. HAYNES, 1928:
Quote:
THE change from the true Sabbath to the false Sabbath was brought about by the great apostasy in the early church, which crystallized into the Roman Catholic system....... Even in the days of the apostles the great apostasy had begun to develop. Paul wrote: “The mystery of iniquity doth already work” (2 Thessalonians 2:7). Antichrist the Author of Sunday Observance
All Christians don't agree with the SDA:
Quote:
Constantine's decree: "On the venerable Day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed." (Constantine, March 7, 321. Codex Justinianus lib. 3, tit. 12, 3; trans. in Philip Schaff, History of the Christian Church, Vol. 3, p. 380, note 1)
Answer: Constantine did not change the Sabbath to Sunday, he merely created the first "Sunday closure law" because Christians had been worshipping on the first day of the week since apostolic times.Neither the Pope or Constantine changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday
Quote:
Question: "Did Constantine change the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday?"
In any case, it should be noted that in doing this, Constantine is not changing the Sabbath; he is merely making Sunday the official day of rest for the Roman Empire. Did Constantine change the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday?
This bothers me:
Quote:
So Who Moved the Sabbath to Sunday?
You can see why some have different answers as to who moved the Sabbath to Sunday. It was Satan who planned the change, and while he used many people over hundreds of years to achieve his goal, it was the Papacy that enforced the final law with the death penalty.
God also calls the Catholic Church Mystery Babylon and one should now know why. It was through the origins of Babylon that Satan brought about a change to God's law and brought many other pagan practise’s into the Church. Who Moved the Sabbath to Sunday - Bible Sabbath Day Change
In regards to your question, does it really matter if Jesus was born on December 25 or not, last night my wife and I were watching A Charlie Brown Christmas. I wouldn't mind what time of year that was on, it's a timeless classic that tells of Jesus and Christmas without today's pc. BTW it's been digitally remastered so the colors really pop. It's ready for another 50 years and future generations.

Years ago someone left a tract in the church pew I happened to sit in. In it the author gave reasons, many you cited in your piece, plus many more, for not celebrating Christmas. It was written along these lines. This may be an updated version of it. http://eliyah.com/tracts/christmas.pdf
I showed it to my wife and she said, "So what."

Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
He wasn't.

It does matter if we teach a falsehood especially one brought in to make ex-pagan believers happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity