Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 12:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,410,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I think you’re missing the point of the two testaments. While both contain judgement AND grace to a certain extent, the OT reveals the Law and sin. The NT reveals grace, mercy and salvation. They work in harmony.
Is that why he condemned an innocent man to death?
Or, was that humanity in their judgment without mercy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 01:14 PM

11,903 posts, read 3,734,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
But did God really give Moses the Ten Commandments in the way in which the Bible portrays it. Once you get past the primeval creation and flood stories in Genesis, the Bible starts to get into actual history, though not necessarily straight history. Rather, the biblical writers shaped their history narratives using ancient records and oral traditions to tell a story of Israel's history. Things reported in the Old Testament as history didn't necessarily happen exactly as the Bible says they happened. So was Moses actually given the Ten Commandments carved on stone tablets on Mount Sinai? We can't really say for sure. Did the Exodus from Egypt happen? Almost certainly, but probably not in the way the Bible tells the story.

Moses didn't even write all of the Pentateuch. He didn't write Deuteronomy as the text of Deuteronomy itself indicates. The various books of the Old Testament were written by different writers at different times and they give diverse views about God and even about Israel's own history.
What I’m finding is that history scripturally is about the development of God’s kingdom that is to be, not our past

Rom 4:17**according as it has been written, "I have appointed you a father of many nations;" before God, whom he believed, the One making the dead live, and calling the things that are not as if they were. Gen. 17:5

The things that either happened or were written about are for doctrine and timing to be used by particular groups of people

And also they were not necessarily only about the past, but were a type or representative of the future

1Co 10:11**Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
1Co 10:12**Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
1Co 10:13**There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
1Co 10:14**Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.

This applies not just to the Old Testament period but the New Testament period too

The New Testament is also prophetic about God’s kingdom

Mat 23:30**And you say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
Mat 23:31**So you witness to yourselves that you are the sons of those who murdered the prophets.
Mat 23:32**And you fill up the measure of your fathers.
Mat 23:33**Serpents! Offspring of vipers! How shall you escape the judgment of Hell?
Mat 23:34**Because of this, behold, I send to you prophets and wise ones and scribes. And some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will flog in your synagogues and will persecute from city to city;
Mat 23:35**so that should come on you all the righteous blood poured out on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah the son of Berechiah whom you murdered between the Holy Place and the altar.
Mat 23:36**Truly I say to you, All these things will come on this generation.

The Jews had there prophets, wise ones and scribes

Christianity has also had their prophets, wise ones and scribes

The “generation” is not only about a particular period, it is also about the particular “type”

G1074***(Strong)
γενεά
genea
ghen-eh-ah'
From (a presumed derivative of) G1085; a generation; by implication an age (the period or the persons): - age, generation, nation, time.

Gen 17:7**And I will establish My covenant between Me and you, and your seed after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be a God to you and to your seed after you.

Gen 17:12**And a son of eight days shall be circumcised among you, every male in your generation, he that is born in the house, or bought with silver from any son of a foreigner who is not of your seed.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:38 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The NT reveals grace, mercy and salvation.
It reveals the true nature and character of God to a world that fell hook line and sinker to a depiction of God that is more like the devil that today most evangelicals fear.

Old 08-05-2020, 03:22 PM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It reveals the true nature and character of God to a world that fell hook line and sinker to a depiction of God that is more like the devil that today most evangelicals fear.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:48 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,893,197 times
Quote:
The problem with many people here is that their god is too small to even have the ability to write a book. I would hate to imagine a God who was unable to use human instruments to write His book. That belief indicates someone who wants to have control over their own lives, without input from their Creator.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The problem with many people here is that their god is too small to even have the ability to write a book. I would hate to imagine a God who was unable to use human instruments to write His book. That belief indicates someone who wants to have control over their own lives, without input from their Creator.
The problem with the likes of you Ozzyrules is that you have made God distanced enough that he seems so far away the he must be mad at us not to be near.

Know you not that Jesus Christ the word of God is in you?.

Let me tell you this too about how vast God which I'm sure will get your teeth gnashing. The enormity of his love is unfathomable and God is Love. Your little god is leather bound most likely read under obligation. I read the scriptures for inspiration.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:00 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,893,197 times
Quote:
The problem with the likes of you Ozzyrules is that you have made God distanced enough that he seems so far away the he must be mad at us not to be near.

Know you not that Jesus Christ the word of God is in you?.

Let me tell you this too about how vast God which I'm sure will get your teeth gnashing. The enormity of his love is unfathomable and God is Love. Your little god is leather bound most likely read under obligation. I read the scriptures for inspiration.
Why are you always so angry? If you really had it together people would flock to your weird belief system. But you choose to devote your life to criticizing everyone.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Why are you always so angry? If you really had it together people would flock to your weird belief system. But you choose to devote your life to criticizing everyone.
What is that I said that sounds angry to you?... You are angry because You don't like to hear that the only way to measure the vastness of God is by discovering more and more of his love.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:03 PM

33,332 posts, read 26,546,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
What I’m finding is that history scripturally is about the development of God’s kingdom that is to be, not our past

Rom 4:17**according as it has been written, "I have appointed you a father of many nations;" before God, whom he believed, the One making the dead live, and calling the things that are not as if they were. Gen. 17:5

The things that either happened or were written about are for doctrine and timing to be used by particular groups of people

And also they were not necessarily only about the past, but were a type or representative of the future

1Co 10:11**Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
1Co 10:12**Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
1Co 10:13**There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
1Co 10:14**Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.

This applies not just to the Old Testament period but the New Testament period too

The New Testament is also prophetic about God’s kingdom

Mat 23:30**And you say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
Mat 23:31**So you witness to yourselves that you are the sons of those who murdered the prophets.
Mat 23:32**And you fill up the measure of your fathers.
Mat 23:33**Serpents! Offspring of vipers! How shall you escape the judgment of Hell?
Mat 23:34**Because of this, behold, I send to you prophets and wise ones and scribes. And some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will flog in your synagogues and will persecute from city to city;
Mat 23:35**so that should come on you all the righteous blood poured out on the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah the son of Berechiah whom you murdered between the Holy Place and the altar.
Mat 23:36**Truly I say to you, All these things will come on this generation.

The Jews had there prophets, wise ones and scribes

Christianity has also had their prophets, wise ones and scribes

The “generation” is not only about a particular period, it is also about the particular “type”

G1074***(Strong)
γενεά
genea
ghen-eh-ah'
From (a presumed derivative of) G1085; a generation; by implication an age (the period or the persons): - age, generation, nation, time.

Gen 17:7**And I will establish My covenant between Me and you, and your seed after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be a God to you and to your seed after you.

Gen 17:12**And a son of eight days shall be circumcised among you, every male in your generation, he that is born in the house, or bought with silver from any son of a foreigner who is not of your seed.
I understand what you're saying Meerkat, but I'm just pointing out that there is a lot of history for the sake of history, embellished though it may be, in the Old Testament. The biblical writers wanted to tell Israel's story and did so using ancient records and oral traditions.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Why did God not send the Bible like he did the Ten Commandments?

If it had sent it all neat and orderly and without contradictions and errors and stupidity, it would have totally missed all the fun of watching umpteen thousands of denominations and non-denominations spring up -- all attesting to knowing what their god-thing was all about.

And precious few agreeing with each other.

Fortunately, being a god-thing, it has all the popcorn it wants with exactly the right proportion of butter and salt.

And so the show goes.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity