Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 AM

484 posts, read 883,287 times

Advertisements

I have been doing my fair share of research about the Bible lately in order to get a better understanding and just now I had a thought pop into my head so I thought I'd post it here. If God gave Moses the Ten Commandments as specific instructions to follow and rules to live by, why not do the same thing with the Bible? Wouldn't it be easier to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 09:29 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I have been doing my fair share of research about the Bible lately in order to get a better understanding and just now I had a thought pop into my head so I thought I'd post it here. If God gave Moses the Ten Commandments as specific instructions to follow and rules to live by, why not do the same thing with the Bible? Wouldn't it be easier to understand?
For the same reason that he gave the other 613 Laws of the OT, would be my guess. Not every command he gives is inscribed on a tablet personally. He uses mortal man to communicate much of what he says.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:42 AM

264 posts, read 351,220 times
Quote:

OHHH! He did FAR greater than just SHOWING US THE WORD in THE STONE/THE ROCK for our new covenant.... He sent us THE STONE in the FLESH to give us an example of how WE should be!

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
KJV

John 1:1-5
1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
KJV
1 John 1:1-2
1:1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
2(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us
KJV
Matt 21:42
42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?
KJV
1 Cor 10:4
4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.
KJV

AND GOD SAID" LET THERE BE LIGHT" TO THOSE WHO SEE WHAT WAS JUST SHOWN!

Old 12-06-2013, 11:05 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Think of it like this.... I'm gonna steal and idea from another thread.

Your alone driving on the Interstate. You see lots of signs in print, speed limit, keep right except to pass, yield etc, and you have the driving rules of the road on the pasanger seat. You obey everyone, right? especially when no one is looking.

Now your given an opportunity to go to driving school and they are gonna teach you better driving skills and show you some pictures of accidents. Now you have the same rules but you have them in your head and your heart.

Which is better?

Old 12-06-2013, 11:13 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
You're saying when John introduced Jesus as the LOGOS he was merely pointing to an example of how we should be.
Well Priscilla,Jesus did say learn of me, I believe he taught the Way to the Father by word and example. I also believe that Christ in us, if we can bother to sit and listen, will light our path to the way of life and peace. As far as I am concerned if we are not gleaning from the scriptures the teachings of Christ that causes us to live in the pastures of life and peace, then it is knowledge that just puffs us up.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:34 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Well Priscilla,Jesus did say learn of me, I believe he taught the Way to the Father by word and example. I also believe that Christ in us, if we can bother to sit and listen, will light our path to the way of life and peace. As far as I am concerned if we are not gleaning from the scriptures the teachings of Christ that causes us to live in the pastures of life and peace, then it is knowledge that just puffs us up.
Bless your heart

Old 12-06-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Bless your heart
Xoxoxoxo

Old 12-06-2013, 11:42 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No...he really didn't. His point was that HE was the only way to get to God. He would lay down his life for his sheep. He didn't show that we could be good boys and girls and get there alongside him -- he said we would get there THROUGH him.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM

264 posts, read 351,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
You're saying when John introduced Jesus as the LOGOS he was merely pointing to an example of how we should be.
I gave you the scriptures, they are not my words, BUT GOD'S. Why do you have a hard time receiving them as the Truth, by twisting it, calling it MY truth so that you don't have to believe it?
Jesus is THE WORD that the Father uses to create all things, you know when He SPOKE THE WORD "LET THERE BE LIGHT" The Word is the LIGHT of the world! The sun and moon were not SPOKEN FORTH BY FAITH, until the 4th day.
Heb 11:1-3
11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.
3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
KJV

Col 1:12-17
12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:
17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
KJV
Heb 1:1-3
1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
KJV

Old 12-06-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No...he really didn't. His point was that HE was the only way to get to God. He would lay down his life for his sheep. He didn't show that we could be good boys and girls and get there alongside him -- he said we would get there THROUGH him.
Stop looking at flesh and blood and saying there's God. Philip tried doing that and couldn't see God. Who mentioned anything about earning there way to heaven?. I'm talking about living the way here, by knowledge of the Father, instead of the knowledge of how you see yourself and others in the flesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity