Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:33 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Stop looking at flesh and blood and saying there's God. Philip tried doing that and couldn't see God. Who mentioned anything about earning there way to heaven?. I'm talking about living the way here, by knowledge of the Father, instead of the knowledge of how you see yourself and others in the flesh.
I'm only telling you what Jesus actually said. You can choose to believe him, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 01:03 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I have been doing my fair share of research about the Bible lately in order to get a better understanding and just now I had a thought pop into my head so I thought I'd post it here. If God gave Moses the Ten Commandments as specific instructions to follow and rules to live by, why not do the same thing with the Bible? Wouldn't it be easier to understand?
Where did you get that idea? From Chrstian books? Oh wait, the Ten Commandments movie had it that way, didn't it?

We Jews know that G-d dictated and taught every single word found in the Torah to Moses during the 40 days he was atop Mount Sinai. G-d also taught Moses the entire Oral Torah, which today is summarized in the Talmud, during those same 40 days.

Your "Old Testament" is not a Jewish work, and we Jews do not hold by that as a reliable text. Maybe that's where you got your info?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:32 AM

484 posts, read 883,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Where did you get that idea? From Chrstian books? Oh wait, the Ten Commandments movie had it that way, didn't it?

We Jews know that G-d dictated and taught every single word found in the Torah to Moses during the 40 days he was atop Mount Sinai. G-d also taught Moses the entire Oral Torah, which today is summarized in the Talmud, during those same 40 days.

Your "Old Testament" is not a Jewish work, and we Jews do not hold by that as a reliable text. Maybe that's where you got your info?
With all due respect, this is not the Judaism forum, and I have not seen that movie.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:20 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times
Quote:
With all due respect, this is not the Judaism forum, and I have not seen that movie.
I know it's not my forum. But also with all due respect, how do you expect me to remain quiet when this thread slanders the good book with such blatant misinformation?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:27 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,130 times
To the OP: if the original 10 commandments were on 2 tablets, G-d would have run out of rocks to write down the whole of the OT and NT.

Enjoy the Christ in Christmas. You won't get anything more serious than that.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:24 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Quote:
I have been doing my fair share of research about the Bible lately in order to get a better understanding and just now I had a thought pop into my head so I thought I'd post it here. If God gave Moses the Ten Commandments as specific instructions to follow and rules to live by, why not do the same thing with the Bible? Wouldn't it be easier to understand?
Maybe it's because the book, the commandments of the OT, failed, at least in a non-Jews eyes, at getting to the core of the ethical and metaphysical questions of life. To answer that, we must turn to ideas instead of actions. To demonstrate ideas, we use metaphors and analogies, or parables and stories. People then mistakenly turn these metaphors back into commandments, and end up with an even stranger, and I say a less true, way of living than with the OT commandments.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:08 AM

670 posts, read 815,641 times
"Why did God not send the Bible like he did the Ten Commandments?"

Actually Jews believe God sent the whole Torah when he gave those tablets to Mosses not just the ones we call the 10 commandments.

Jews claim the whole of the Torah was given to Israel in one utterance from Yahweh, but it has not always been in written form, they retold it verbally to their descendants until a time when they felt the need to preserve it in writing. The Written Torah however still didn't present the exact message and to understand it instruction was needed thus the existence of what they call the Oral Torah.

It is believed by those who hold the Tanakh and New Testament as Scriptures that God sent Revelations to his Prophets and that those Prophets wrote them down for us as time went. Some of these Revelations where only given to a few people or one person where as Jews believe the Torah was Revealed publicly to Israel all at one time.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:51 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
I know it's not my forum. But also with all due respect, how do you expect me to remain quiet when this thread slanders the good book with such blatant misinformation?
With all due respect to your traditions, flipflop . . . what you call the "good book" has some of the most heinous and evil depictions of atrocities committed either by God or by humans in compliance with God's mandates. I have a hard time understanding how anyone can accept these depictions as the dictates of God. However, the dictates of Christ in the Sermon on the Mount or in 1 Cor 13 have such intrinsic "goodness" I have no trouble accepting them as dictates from God. It is all a matter of what kind of God you are willing to accept.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:58 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
the same way we Christians have to when it comes to the NT or those who slander the Bible day in and day out in this forum with their vomitous slanders of barbaric writers \ people's understanding of the scriptures generation past.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:42 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
With all due respect to your traditions, flipflop . . . what you call the "good book" has some of the most heinous and evil depictions of atrocities committed either by God or by humans in compliance with God's mandates. I have a hard time understanding how anyone can accept these depictions as the dictates of God. However, the dictates of Christ in the Sermon on the Mount or in 1 Cor 13 have such intrinsic "goodness" I have no trouble accepting them as dictates from God. It is all a matter of what kind of God you are willing to accept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
the same way we Christians have to when it comes to the NT or those who slander the Bible day in and day out in this forum with their vomitous slanders of barbaric writers \ people's understanding of the scriptures generation past.
With all due respect, Twin . . . it is your ability and willingness to accept the barbaric and savage beliefs and superstitions about God that our ignorant ancient ancestors accepted that I find incredible in this day and age. They are completely incompatible with Christ's Sermon on the Mount and 1 Cor 13 . . . among the other unambiguous aspects of Christ's life, teachings and death. I simply cannot understand how you can claim to be a Christian who follows Christ while retaining such savage beliefs about God. Flipflop is more understandable because he rejects Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity