Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 09:41 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton
That love covers a multitudes of sin,that Jesus said if he was lifted up he would draw all men to himself,(now how you interpret this is up to you,but if lifting him helps in the drawing, start lifting him up in faith instead of condemning in your unbelief of the saving ability of God.

"IF" is a big contingency! This has nothing to do with doubting the Saving Ability of God, or God's love. It is about the willingness of people to come to God through Christ to be saved. In an OT parallel, Moses lifted-up the bronze serpent in the wilderness with the all inclusive promise that whoever would look upon it, would be saved. But, not all were willing, and thus, not all were saved.

"If" doesn't modify people being drawn, it modifies Jesus being lifted up. So, has the contingency ("...if I may be lifted up...") been met, or hasn't it? If it has been met, then the promise was that, "I will draw all unto myself".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You obviously have no idea who the workers represent and worse still who represents the workers. Hint hint.
I have not offered anything to explain who they might be, but I am glad you are able to announce that "I obviously have no idea who they are".

Typical pcamps........

Old 12-26-2013, 10:30 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I have not offered anything to explain who they might be, but I am glad you are able to announce that "I obviously have no idea who they are".

Typical pcamps........
Of cause you have. You mean to say you are willing to give an opinion about the parable, yet claim you haven't indicated who the workers are. You know as well I do who you believe they are. So you explain who the first and last are ?. What about all the ones between the first and last ?. Just trying to help you broaden your mind to help you understand the parable just a little more than your black and white literal view, which so far as come up with no explanation concerning the parable.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Correct as anyone who shows up for work, but does no work, gets no pay.
In the parable all the people in the field worked, but different lengths of time. It does not talk about those who did not show up at all, or those who showed up, but didn't work.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:17 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
In the parable all the people in the field worked, but different lengths of time. It does not talk about those who did not show up at all, or those who showed up, but didn't work.
Correct, so it ONLY can be applied to those who are active/working in the "field" doing the work assigned. Not onlookers, wannabe's or those with no desire to slave for the Master.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Correct, so it ONLY can be applied to those who are active/working in the "field" doing the work assigned. Not onlookers, wannabe's or those with no desire to slave for the Master.
It talks about those who agreed to work, and who showed up. There is no mention of anyone who agreed to work but didn't work. In other words it has nothing to do how hard they worked, it is only about the duration of their service. Those who were called late, were just as saved as those who were called early. Anyone who responded to the call were saved, which is in harmony with the rest of the Bible.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
You are assuming some were employed elsewhere or some that were unemployed never showed up. There is no doubt about the text that all who were unemployed were given work.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:32 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"If" doesn't modify people being drawn, it modifies Jesus being lifted up. So, has the contingency ("...if I may be lifted up...") been met, or hasn't it? If it has been met, then the promise was that, "I will draw all unto myself".
In Scripture "all" is a qualified word, not an absolute with a meaning of all in total/existence. The full context of Jesus words must be considered and not one verse or set of verses only.

(KJV)
Genesis 6:13
13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

All flesh did not die in the flood.

(KJV)
Matthew 13:32
32 Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

It isn't the "least" or tiniest of all seeds on earth, but in the setting he placed the illustration it was the smallest known and grown there. Context.

(KJV)Matthew 17:11
11 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things. Nope he will not restore all things, like death, sin, hatred, Satan, etc. Just "all" that God wants. Context.

Next, many are drawn to Jesus, but still walk away from him when they see what he wants them to do.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
It talks about those who agreed to work, and who showed up. There is no mention of anyone who agreed to work but didn't work. In other words it has nothing to do how hard they worked, it is only about the duration of their service. Those who were called late, were just as saved as those who were called early. Anyone who responded to the call were saved, which is in harmony with the rest of the Bible.
It is also interesting that the only ones who were employed by agreement were the first employed, the rest were told they would receive what was right,which too is significant in understanding the parable.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You are assuming some were employed elsewhere or some that were unemployed never showed up. There is no doubt about the text that all who were unemployed were given work.
Yes, it is rather obvious they were given work since the parable spells it out. Read the parable of the wedding, if you need more clarity about people being invited, but reject the offer. Not everyone accepts the invitation to work, or a wedding party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity