Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 02:06 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
What do you mean 1800 years ago ? I believe their still called heretic in 2014....
My comment was in response to someone suggesting that today's Christians are somehow off-track compared to the early Christians. My point was that the early Christians would have considered him a heretic, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 02:10 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,698,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
My comment was in response to someone suggesting that today's Christians are somehow off-track compared to the early Christians. My point was that the early Christians would have considered him a heretic, as well.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:11 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Says the guy that likely would have been called a heretic 1800 years ago.
Supposed Heretics have been hung, drawn and quartered burnt at the stake and murdered in all manner of ways, by those who wrongly thought they were heretics, and in doing so thought they were doing God a service. The irony is they were murdered by those who thought they had the truth

Old 01-08-2014, 02:14 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Says the guy that likely would have been called a heretic 1800 years ago.
Thinking that the judgment and evaluations of our ignorant ancestors 1800 years ago is something to worry about today reveals a lack of common sense and appreciation for the advances in knowledge and understanding achieved during those 1800 years.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:08 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
I'm not sure if ignorance is the providence of the OT. However, The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 AM

546 posts, read 547,367 times
I personally believe that God spoke to certain people such as Moses, David, the OT prophets, the writers of the NT, etc., and they either wrote what they heard down, or it was written by someone that was hearing the words from the person that received the word. And the Word of God is a person...Jesus; the Bible is just a portion of what He is.

That being said, the Bibles that we now have are not original, and we have no copies of the originals. Everything has been copied or translated, and as with everything that humans touch, error enters. But, in that context, I believe that God's plan, ideas, and most words are still viable for faith and learning, as long as we humble ourselves and be very cautious of the possibility of error. I can never stand on anything written in the Bible as absolutely, positively, without a doubt, the way God totally meant it, but with the help of the Holy Spirit, and realizing that God is NOT a God of confusion, I must use the Bible in a way that is harmonious within it's pages, and also realize that God knew before it was written, that it would not be exact by any means. I also realize that I can use texts that are older and closer in meaning to the original, such as Greek and Hebrew, but also with caution. When I read a passage from the Bible, and what I seem to be understanding conflicts with the whole body and purpose of scripture, I have to shelve that understanding and ask God to help me understand it. It may, and has, taken years for that answer to come, but eventually, with persistence, the answer will come. This seems to be a problem with so many Christians today, in that they learn a passage in a certain way, and they refuse to see it in a different light, even though it conflicts with the harmony of the book. And on the other side, there are those that don't look for this harmony, (which is very complex; we're dealing with a God of infinite intelligence), and they water things down so much, that the harmony is ruined in that way.

A good example of this is the Olivet Discourse in Matt. 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21. After paralleling the verses in these 3 gospels, I realized that God used Matthew, Mark, and Luke to show us things that are not contradictory, but that reveal things that would not be know if they were exact replicas of each other. Each writer wrote down what he had heard from their own perspective, and some of the insights are incredible and also show the meaning of many things in this prophetic section that verify other scripture.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:25 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post
I personally believe that God spoke to certain people such as Moses, David, the OT prophets, the writers of the NT, etc., and they either wrote what they heard down, or it was written by someone that was hearing the words from the person that received the word. And the Word of God is a person...Jesus; the Bible is just a portion of what He is.

That being said, the Bibles that we now have are not original, and we have no copies of the originals.
What I find interesting is that the texts found at Qumran are nearly identical to what we have today thus showing that very little copying errors were made in over 2000 years from then to today.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
What I find interesting is that the texts found at Qumran are nearly identical to what we have today thus showing that very little copying errors were made in over 2000 years from then to today.
Not true:

RE: Jeremiah

The LXX is about 1/8 shorter than the MT (which constitutes hundreds of verses), its order of the chapters is different, and the material within the chapters is different.

Many of the Hebrew texts at Qumran agree with the LXX against MT. We know that the NT writers used and preferred the LXX and ¾ of its OT quotes are from the LXX not the MT.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:04 PM

3,066 posts, read 3,724,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This forum should be called the "Attack Christianity" forum. That's all you folks come here for. Did you never consider that puts you in opposition to God. Nobody that KNOWS that the Bible is God's word and is completely reliable cares anything about your screaming and shouting and constant attacks on God and His word. And besides that, anyone who thinks they can fight God and win is only fooling themselves.
RESPONSE:

The basic flaw in you argument is that somehow God inspired or had anything to do with the Bible.

When one realizes this, continuing to claim the bible as the source of one's belief system is intellectually dishonest.

Of course those who "KNOW" that the Bible is God's word don't seem to be able to prove it, perhaps because it really isn't so after all.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Well, Jesus tells us to be just like His heavenly Father in heaven. So I guess if He tortures people in fire, we should do the same thing. I've got the wood. You got the matches?
Eusebius, You're just a chip off the old block and don't know what spirit you are of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity