Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 03:18 PM

531 posts, read 479,779 times

Advertisements

And just to put this to bed as far as names go...

Christ's church is given many different names in the scriptures.

I don't care what it says on the outside of the building you are in, although it should be a scriptural name(that's my logic kicking in), but you better well be following the bible.

Adding to. Taking away. There's a warning about that in Revelation.

And go ahead and mention Air Conditioning. I've heard it all.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
From what I understand of the church of Christ is that they, for the most part, reject any of the creeds and confessions as stated by the church fathers within history. Not that this is entirely a bad thing, but to outright reject most, if not all, is somewhat disingenuous since the church as a collective body, is what Christ built.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:47 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,850 times
God is not coming to claim any physical church. He's coming for his Spiritual Church. Instead of boasting he's coming to claim "your church", you might want to make sure he's coming for "you".

Old 10-17-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
From what I understand of the church of Christ is that they, for the most part, reject any of the creeds and confessions as stated by the church fathers within history. Not that this is entirely a bad thing, but to outright reject most, if not all, is somewhat disingenuous since the church as a collective body, is what Christ built.
And the new testament is our peep hole into the 1st century church. The letters and epistles as well as revelation. The things they did, things they struggled with, the things they weren't doing.

The gates of hades shall not prevail against it.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
The bible is my creed. if it can be called that. it is my mission statement.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
yeah. Jesus!
It looks like over the years they have intentionally played down the fact that the Campbells started your church. Does that not bother you even a little bit?

Old 10-18-2011, 03:52 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,270,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
It looks like over the years they have intentionally played down the fact that the Campbells started your church. Does that not bother you even a little bit?
BH, the only thing Cambell did to the best of my knowledge was to get people back to the Bible, to pattern themselves after the New Testament church in regards to worship, and organization. His idea was to speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent. Seems pretty good to me. I don't know of anyone who is in the Lord's church that is bothered by the Campell movement. I know I'm not.

Jesus built His church. It is alive and well. We know that because He promised that the gates of hell would not prevail against it. Cambell didn't start the church. What he did was try to get people back to the Bible, to get back to the old paths. Think of it like this. I liked my great grandmother's house so much that I had my husband build it using her old blueprints. The finished product was just like Granny's original. That's what Cambell tried to do, restore the church to the way it is seen in the New Testament. I think what Cambell did was pretty commendable. Course if you're of the mind that the Bible isn't the unerring, inspired word of God, then I can understand your antagonism toward Cambell and the church of Christ.

By the way, what denomination do you belong to? Just wondering.

Katie

Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I forgot to mention....
On the day of Pentecost, when the Jews realized they had killed the Savior of the world, they were pierced to the heart. They asked what they should do. Peter told them to repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sins. Three thousand believed and were baptized that day, and the LORD added them to the church. Jesus has been adding those who believe and are baptized ever since to His church, His body.

BH, there are many congregations of the Lord's church all over the world. Their Biblical names are church of God, church of Christ, the Way, the Lord's church, Christ's church, etc. You can recognize those groups by their pattern of worship and organization. They will look just like the church of tbe NT.

Hope this helps you to have a better understanding.

Katie

Old 10-18-2011, 04:25 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,850 times
What does this Church teach concerning receiving the Holy Spirit? When does one receive It?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
What does this Church teach concerning receiving the Holy Spirit? When does one receive It?
This is what the Bible teaches.
"Repent and be baptized each of you for the forgiveness of your sins and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Acts 2:38
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity