Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Edit to add the post about women and gay pastors is an illustration of my point. Apparently it's all right to pass out donuts with a woman pastor. But the moment she steps into the pulpit there are those who VERY quick to proclaim that the church with the woman pastor is in error and they don't like it! Heaven forbid should the woman pastor be gay and married.
I obviously posted in the wrong thread. I thought this was a discussion of Christian Churches. Any denomination that regards homosexuality as an acceptable lifestyle is clearly not Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 08:37 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Regretably, you may find a woman pastor in a Methodist Church these days. Gay pastors won't be far behind. When you begin compromising with the world, the slide is quick.
There is nothing "regrettable" about a female minister

Some of you are like the Pharisee's, so bound up in the law that you are blind to the spirit of it.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There is nothing "regrettable" about a female minister

Some of you are like the Pharisee's, so bound up in the law that you are blind to the spirit of it.
The Bible clearly states the requirements for a Bishop or Deacon as "A man of one wife." That eliminates a woman as a pastor. That pharisee was Paul.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
The Bible clearly states the requirements for a Bishop or Deacon as "A man of one wife." That eliminates a woman as a pastor. That pharisee was Paul.
Paul is often misunderstood and taken out of context.

Your belief that women cannot be ministers is further proof of that.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Paul is often misunderstood and taken out of context.

Your belief that women cannot be ministers is further proof of that.
You are the one that is mistaken. Only pagan religions have priestesses. I challenge you to point out one instance of a female pastor, priest or rabbi in the Bible.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:02 AM

We are all appointed a place in creation. Because of pride Satan and his angels were not satisfied with their place although it was very high and honored. Their fall was utter. It is for men to be pastors, not women. Thus saith the Lord in His Holy Word.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
You are the one that is mistaken. Only pagan religions have priestesses. I challenge you to point out one instance of a female pastor, priest or rabbi in the Bible.
I sincerely pity folks like you

Old 02-18-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I sincerely pity folks like you
I will pray for you Brother. Or is it Sister?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
That is because women were not given any importance in biblical times. That was a cultural issue and has no relationship to God at all.

And Paul was single and he often preached celibacy.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
In fact, Paul frequently mentioned women who held positions of responsibility in the church.

Phoebe (Romans 16:1)
Euodia and Syntyche ( Philippians 4:2)
Mary, Tryphea, Tryphosa and Persis (Romans 16:6,12)

When you insist that Paul declared women cannot be ministers you are taking his words completely out of context.

A wise person looks at the bigger picture and seeks to understand Biblical teachings in the context in which they were given.

Paul's word to Timothy were regarding the particular situation going on in the Ephesian church at the time.

The Ephesian temple had been built in honor of the pagan goddess Artemis, who was considered one of the seven wonders of the world.

Many women were involved in the worship ceremonies that surrounded this goddess and the cult was associated with all sorts of sensuality and bizarre teaching, such as fertility worship.

A person in Ephesus would probably associate a female leader with that kind of pagan worship.

So at it's beginning, the Ephesian church was faced with lots of challenges - including persecution and false teaching. Especially because not yet educated/uneducated female converts were bringing all sorts of pagan ideas in from their culture when they came to the church.

Paul wanted to put a halt to the false teachings and confusion until followers were better able to discern the truth of God. He was instructing Timothy to not put anyone in a position of authority who was not yet mature in their faith.

He did not and was not saying that women could never be "ministers" of the faith or church, only that they could not be so in Ephesus at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity