Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:39 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I sincerely pity folks like you
I pity the women in their churches. I REALLY pity the girls who are raised hearing that women are to be assigned their place by men who have decided their interpretation of the Bible is the right one.

They're told that just because of their sex they aren't allowed to reach their full potential as human beings. SMH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:45 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I pity the women in their churches. I REALLY pity the girls who are raised hearing that women are to be assigned their place by men who have decided their interpretation of the Bible is the right one.

They're told that just because of their sex they aren't allowed to reach their full potential as human beings. SMH.
Sadly, many unloving and even cruel things have been perpetrated against some by those who insist on taking the Bible out of context.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:58 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,207,320 times
Quote:
Sadly, many unloving and even cruel things have been perpetrated against some by those who insist on taking the Bible out of context.
What has been given is out of the Bible as it is written. It is in context. You are trying to make it mean something other than it's plain meaning. You deceive yourselves.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
I went to a Church of Christ and I liked how intense they were about reading scripture, but I felt they were too rigid for me. I also don't believe in the infallibility of the Bible itself, so that puts me at odds with CoC.
This is key regarding your choice.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
What has been given is out of the Bible as it is written. It is in context. You are trying to make it mean something other than it's plain meaning. You deceive yourselves.
I have complete confidence that I am not the one "wrong", but regardless, this is a thread about the Methodist Church - one of the most loving of Christian communities I have ever encountered.

I hope our OP will choose to visit one of their services soon

Old 02-18-2014, 03:02 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
We are all appointed a place in creation. Because of pride Satan and his angels were not satisfied with their place although it was very high and honored. Their fall was utter. It is for men to be pastors, not women. Thus saith the Lord in His Holy Word.
Quote:
I sincerely pity folks like you
Amen!
Quote:
In fact, Paul frequently mentioned women who held positions of responsibility in the church.

Phoebe (Romans 16:1)
Euodia and Syntyche ( Philippians 4:2)
Mary, Tryphea, Tryphosa and Persis (Romans 16:6,12)

When you insist that Paul declared women cannot be ministers you are taking his words completely out of context.

A wise person looks at the bigger picture and seeks to understand Biblical teachings in the context in which they were given.
Paul's word to Timothy were regarding the particular situation going on in the Ephesian church at the time.
The Ephesian temple had been built in honor of the pagan goddess Artemis, who was considered one of the seven wonders of the world.
Many women were involved in the worship ceremonies that surrounded this goddess and the cult was associated with all sorts of sensuality and bizarre teaching, such as fertility worship.
A person in Ephesus would probably associate a female leader with that kind of pagan worship.
So at it's beginning, the Ephesian church was faced with lots of challenges - including persecution and false teaching. Especially because not yet educated/uneducated female converts were bringing all sorts of pagan ideas in from their culture when they came to the church.
Paul wanted to put a halt to the false teachings and confusion until followers were better able to discern the truth of God. He was instructing Timothy to not put anyone in a position of authority who was not yet mature in their faith.
He did not and was not saying that women could never be "ministers" of the faith or church, only that they could not be so in Ephesus at that time.
Wonderful witness, lovesMountains!It has always been difficult to raise humanity up from the depths of its savagery and barbarity. We still see so much of it even today in the 21st century. How much more difficult was it in the 1st century!?!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:04 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
A lot of Methods!

Old 02-18-2014, 03:43 PM

441 posts, read 392,580 times
Quote:
I have complete confidence that I am not the one "wrong", but regardless, this is a thread about the Methodist Church - one of the most loving of Christian communities I have ever encountered.

I hope our OP will choose to visit one of their services soon

You must be a Methodist?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:09 PM

758 posts, read 848,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
The main point of this topic:
I would like to try out a Methodist service some time but since I've never had any exposure to them I'm not sure what to expect. Do I need to dress really nicely? Will I be expected to bring a Bible or hymn book? Will it be ok to not take part of communion?

If you want more background, here is some tangential information:
I'm at a point in my life where I would like to find a church service I feel comfortable in, even though I don't consider myself a Christian. As a kid I was in Southern Baptist and Pentacostal services - you might have called these people "holy rollers". I'm ok with people doing those things, but its not for me. I also have tried the non-denominational churches that are popular right now, and while I like how active they are sometimes in the community I'm not comfortable with the entertainment format of their services. I went to a Church of Christ and I liked how intense they were about reading scripture, but I felt they were too rigid for me. I also don't believe in the infallibility of the Bible itself, so that puts me at odds with CoC. I've never attended Catholic Mass, but I really respect a lot of the Catholics I've been around. My problem with Catholocism is what I consider idolatry within their religion. So again I have a fundamental belief that puts me at odds with that flavor of Christianity as well.

Disclaimer:
Please note that I don't wish to debate anybody on the merits of my beliefs nor is it my intention to put anybody down for theirs. Its just that what is working for other people hasn't been working for me. I desire a relationship with a God, but I haven't been able to and I'm simply looking for a Church environment that can help me get into that relationship.
Ye shall seek me & find me - when you search for me with ALL of your heart. Jerimiah 29:13

When you start to take Jesus seriously - and Ask you shall receive.

Jesus said: If you abide in me & My words Abide in you; You may ask me anything and I will do it! John 15:7

Jesus made promises - take them seriously - Thank Him before you get the answer!

I have asked for some pretty preposterous things in my life; I'm always shocked & amazed when God keeps His Promises. That is the greatest proof He truly Exists!

Don't look to man (church) Go directly to the source!

Old 02-18-2014, 04:21 PM

441 posts, read 392,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
Ye shall seek me & find me - when you search for me with ALL of your heart. Jerimiah 29:13

When you start to take Jesus seriously - and Ask you shall receive.

Jesus said: If you abide in me & My words Abide in you; You may ask me anything and I will do it! John 15:7

Jesus made promises - take them seriously - Thank Him before you get the answer!

I have asked for some pretty preposterous things in my life; I'm always shocked & amazed when God keeps His Promises. That is the greatest proof He truly Exists!

Don't look to man (church) Go directly to the source!
So you see God as just some sort of blessing machine. Is that it? "God is my shield and butler"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity