Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:47 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,262,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Weddings are not performed for the entertainment of the guests.

Well, that was certainly proven to me at every wedding I've attended. I made sure that my own was as brief as possible (civil service at county courthouse).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 03:33 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Well, that was certainly proven to me at every wedding I've attended. I made sure that my own was as brief as possible (civil service at county courthouse).
That is OK, some folks do not cherish tradition.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,130 times
In our United Methodist service - there is the entry music, announcements, a few scriptures and song, prayers, offering, the scripture lesson, the sermon, then the exit music. There is typically a choir and an animated director of music. We have the scripture lesson projected onto the wall, the words of songs projected onto walls, and persons in the audience will sometimes raise their hand (one hand or two) shout out 'glory' or 'amen,' or may even stand during every prayer. We are mixed race, with persons from diverse nations and accents.

There is an inclusive, welcome feel to persons in the Methodist church. This doesn't stand for all Methodist churches, however. I've been to some where it was just plain dead (I've been a Methodist since '83, a transfer from Nazarene, removed from being an apostate Roman Catholic). Our services are held at two times: 9:15 and 11:30. The first is traditional, with organ music, piano, and every once in a while, a marimba. The second service is loud, with electric guitars and drums. The first service have mostly middle aged persons. The second service has many older persons with many younger persons. We have female clergy members and an accentuation on reaching out through our doors to engage the community.

I am very proud to be a United Methodist. They are a truly inclusive church. I've met some of the nicest Catholics there (which was truly inspiring), persons who embrace the gay lifestyle, and persons who were former Mormons. I am proud of all of my brothers and sisters. And communion is inclusive - you just need to know you are Christian, and it is provided by intinction (dipping a piece of bread handed to you into a cup of grape juice). You can wave off communion if you don't want it and as mentioned, it is served on the first Sunday.

We have a noisy offering on fifth Sundays (the kids run around with buckets and you throw your loose change into them, which are then poured into a metal container up front, with a microphone inside), a children's time early in the service (the kids come forward and have a small lesson with the preacher). We have banners on the walls, a Christmas tree at the front altar, 5 candles lit during Lent, a Pumpkin patch during Hallowe'en, Trunk or Treat at the same time (kids come to church and get served candy and goodies from people's trunks), we have a Drive-Thru Nativity, and we do a re-creation of the Last Supper.

I am a trustee. I will happily speak about my church, including the difficulties. We are trying to get an AA meeting there, we offer a place for the local Y during summers, we have space for other churches that are looking for a worshiping place (we have a meeting room that was our former church building, can seat about 50), we have a band that meets once per week at night, and we sponsor the local scouts. We do breakfast in the AM on Sundays, have exercise and volleyball classes and have mother's day out during the day twice per week and parents night out on alternating Fridays. You can visit Oxford United Methodist church on Huebner near Fredericksburg in SA TX. There is also a very robust men's group and a very active women's group. We have lay leaders and have more retired pastors in our services than the clergy who serve at the altar. You will find me most Sundays in the rear right of the church, in the pew closest to the corner of the building, just in front of the baby's crying room. Yep, that's fully enclosed, with a big window in front, and piped in sound. Two sturdy rockers and a changing table.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:34 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,529,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
In our United Methodist service - there is the entry music, announcements, a few scriptures and song, prayers, offering, the scripture lesson, the sermon, then the exit music. There is typically a choir and an animated director of music. We have the scripture lesson projected onto the wall, the words of songs projected onto walls, and persons in the audience will sometimes raise their hand (one hand or two) shout out 'glory' or 'amen,' or may even stand during every prayer. We are mixed race, with persons from diverse nations and accents.
Sounds like the Methodist Church in our town. I work with them on the interfaith community food kitchen free meals. The Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, Nazarene, Adventist, and First Christian Churches each host a daily meal for those who show up. This time of year many come. I tell you what, we/they cook up fantastic made from scratch meals. The smell of fresh baked bread drives me crazy. Other churches donate money, one runs the food pantry, another the clothing center. If that weren't enough activities we have a brand new homeless shelter in town run by church volunteers. Many hands spreading the work around lightens the load.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
Sounds like the Methodist Church in our town. I work with them on the interfaith community food kitchen free meals. The Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, Nazarene, Adventist, and First Christian Churches each host a daily meal for those who show up. This time of year many come. I tell you what, we/they cook up fantastic made from scratch meals. The smell of fresh baked bread drives me crazy. Other churches donate money, one runs the food pantry, another the clothing center. If that weren't enough activities we have a brand new homeless shelter in town run by church volunteers. Many hands spreading the work around lightens the load.
Sooo...... how come you can all get together to pass out used clothing but you can't get together under one roof and worship God together?

Lots of talk about the good work Christians do. (Atheists do the same things, BTW.) But when it comes right down to it most Baptists (as an example) would no sooner sit with a Catholic on Sunday then they would attend Temple. Is God supposed to be impressed that everyone gets along long enough to dish out baked beans and meat loaf?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-17-2014 at 07:41 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sooo...... how come you can all get together to pass out used clothing but you can't get together under one roof and worship God together?
That's been done on Easter holiday in one town where I lived. It can be done. But each of us likes our own preachers (or priests) for the contextual, denominational message. I think our worship is under G-d's sky. That's enough for me. Wanna join?

To speak further of it, I went to worship in a mosque once. Beautiful place. I didn't like the segregation by gender, but that was there thing. Shoes off - very cool! Realizing you have holes in your socks - very uncool! And monastic life - very austere! I want to do a temple (Jewish and Buddhist) and need to find them, as well as a guide. You don't want to **** off people in their house of worship, you know. I was entertained once in an Amish hymnsing, though that was very different from their church service - all in German, mostly on their feet.

Last edited by Kin Atoms; 02-17-2014 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: errata

Old 02-18-2014, 12:44 AM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The Holy Spirit of course.

Tried to to rep you but I couldn't. Owe you one.

I have attempted to be informative and to give the OP an idea of what yo expect at a United Methodist Church. I think that I have a good idea of this.

Some people seem to take joy in being mean.

Talk to Jesus. See what He has to say.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:49 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Regretably, you may find a woman pastor in a Methodist Church these days. Gay pastors won't be far behind. When you begin compromising with the world, the slide is quick.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Regretably, you may find a woman pastor in a Methodist Church these days. Gay pastors won't be far behind. When you begin compromising with the world, the slide is quick.
Mr. B, we love all sinners; they were all called to repentance. Your 'short-list' complements the full tally of all others who show up and seek refuge from a sin-sick world. You will find every type of illness in a hospital; I look forward to full healing in heaven, where there will be no bias, discrimination, or prejudice against any of the oppressed. Then we can all be neighbors. Hope to see you there.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:00 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
That's been done on Easter holiday in one town where I lived. It can be done. But each of us likes our own preachers (or priests) for the contextual, denominational message. I think our worship is under G-d's sky. That's enough for me. Wanna join?

To speak further of it, I went to worship in a mosque once. Beautiful place. I didn't like the segregation by gender, but that was there thing. Shoes off - very cool! Realizing you have holes in your socks - very uncool! And monastic life - very austere! I want to do a temple (Jewish and Buddhist) and need to find them, as well as a guide. You don't want to **** off people in their house of worship, you know. I was entertained once in an Amish hymnsing, though that was very different from their church service - all in German, mostly on their feet.

What you've done is what, IMHO, more people should be doing. I've done it. I think it makes us better, more accepting people when we've done it. So good for you, well done!

It just makes no sense to me that differing denominations can get together for charitable work on Friday, but, when God is being worshiped, they spend Sundays separated and by Tuesday are telling each other that what they believe is the way to heaven and those insert members of a differing faith here they passed out donuts with? Why they're not saved! They don't believe what we believe. They're not doing it right.

Edit to add the post about women and gay pastors is an illustration of my point. Apparently it's all right to pass out donuts with a woman pastor. But the moment she steps into the pulpit there are those who VERY quick to proclaim that the church with the woman pastor is in error and they don't like it! Heaven forbid should the woman pastor be gay and married. I can see donations to the donut fund drying up.

p.s. Kin: One of the people who was a HUGE influence on my belief that there should be religious brotherhood was..... ta da!.... a Methodist.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-18-2014 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity