Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 12:43 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
Thanks for the responses. I will attend a Methodist service this weekend and after that a Catholic friend has agreed to take me to mass with him.
And when you go to mass you will see no idolatry, that is a myth propagated by the anti-catholic folks.

But, most importantly you will not be dealing with bible literalists.

However, you may see 2000 years plus of ancient traditions that enrich the soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 01:13 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Here to help, not debate and give you some insight as to what to expect at a United Methodist Church service. (I can't help you when it comes to Free Methodist or other Methodist denominations)
For the purpose of this post, I am addressing the United Methodist Church, the largest Methodist body in the United States.

1. There is a lot of variety in the Methodist Church. Most are fairly moderate in ideology and in politics. You will find a diversity of beliefs at many Methodist churches.

2. In general the service is one hour long and I could describe it as casually liturgical. Usually the Lord's Prayer is recited. Usually no other creeds are recited.

3. Hymns vary from all traditional to mostly praise songs or contemporary music. Many is my area are a mixture of the two. Many standard hymns that are in use in Protestant churches to this day were penned by Charles Wesley, the brother of the founder of Methodism, John Wesley.

4. Attire varies as to region and taste in your area. Again think moderation. If you are a male, you can't go wrong with Dockers and a polo shirt of golf shirt. If you are a woman, dressier slacks or a skirt and top. Business casual. You may find extremes such as people dressed up with ties and suits or women who look like it's Easter Sunday - on the other side, jeans and tea shirts.
Mostly somewhere in between, but I have seen all of the above. No one cares. In a good way.

5. You do not need to take a Bible with you. There is one in the rack in front of the pew. You can take one if you wish.

6. Communion is offered once a month on the first Sunday.

7. Membership can be by Profession of Faith or transfer of records. You are not required to be confirmed as you would in a "high church" such as the Episcopal Church.

8. The United Methodist Church is a combination of Evangelical and Liturgical traditions. Their motto is "Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors".

Blessings!

Sheena12

I happen to think that you will fit in well.

Nicely said Sheena, great info

Old 02-17-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
If it's anything like the Methodist church that my mother took me to, the main thing you can expect is boredom.

Going to that church was like going to a funeral every Sunday.
I think your mothers church is the exception, not the rule

All Methodist churches I have been to are very upbeat and spirit-filled. That's the way the Methodists roll

Old 02-17-2014, 01:33 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

All Methodist churches I have been to are very upbeat and spirit-filled. That's the way the Methodists roll

The two Methodist churches that I've attended in this area (suburban Baltimore) were pretty much the same (boring).

The Methodist churches that I attended when visiting relatives in Arkansas and Texas were somewhat more animated, but still pretty boring.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
The two Methodist churches that I've attended in this area (suburban Baltimore) were pretty much the same (boring).

The Methodist churches that I attended when visiting relatives in Arkansas and Texas were somewhat more animated, but still pretty boring.
Hopefully you know that 'boring' is subjective.

For a comparison I'd LOVE to know what exciting churches you've visited.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM

441 posts, read 392,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

But whose spirit when you say it is upbeat?

Old 02-17-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croref View Post
But whose spirit when you say it is upbeat?
The Holy Spirit of course.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:42 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,529,224 times
Quote:

I thought my church wore the boring crown.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:59 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hopefully you know that 'boring' is subjective.

For a comparison I'd LOVE to know what exciting churches you've visited.

None.

Like I said, the ones in Arkansas and Texas were somewhat more animated, but nothing like the snake handler or Holy Roller services that I've seen on video. At least those people looked like they were enjoying themselves.

The only other church services that I've attended were weddings at Roman Catholic churches. I don't care to express my opinion of Roman Catholicism in this thread, other than to say that the RC weddings were no less boring than regular Methodist services.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:

The only other church services that I've attended were weddings at Roman Catholic churches. I don't care to express my opinion of Roman Catholicism in this thread, other than to say that the RC weddings were no less boring than regular Methodist services.
Weddings are not performed for the entertainment of the guests. Unless they're in Vegas and the minister is Elvis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity