Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 07:08 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
As we would agree Baptist, Jesus' words were not sin, nor were they out of line. What he stated was true, and he has been given the keys to life or death, so he makes the call. I understand why he did it, they tried to undue every bit of good things he did. Of course Christians are no stranger to this, observe how many try to undue the good seeds I plant. No doubt Jesus takes note of this sir.
He's God, so, yes. He can do what he wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 08:16 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
And of course saying the word hell is not either, but even though you increased the serious of the word no, you really didn't use it in it's intended way.
How about: "Sweet Jesus, no!" ?

Old 09-12-2020, 06:44 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,006,629 times
Default God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
He's God, so, yes. He can do what he wants.

Interesting Jesus had a God huh Baptist. I worship His God in imitation of him, being a Christian we do that, we imitate and obey Jesus. Mat 4:10

Old 09-12-2020, 06:47 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,006,629 times
Default Cursing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
How about: "Sweet Jesus, no!" ?

I wouldn't see a problem with that, do you Dude?

Old 09-12-2020, 07:13 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Curse words are only bad because they have been deemed bad over time by their meaning and or context....cursing is a very trivial affair if you ask me. S**t is thought of as a curse word in the US, but crap is not. They mean the same thing which shows that all language is manmade and changes over time.
Indeed.

The works of Shakespeare contain the exclamations 'Zounds!' (from God's wounds, referring to the wounds of Jesus on the cross) and 'Gadzooks!' (God's hooks, referring the nails on the cross), both used for effect because at the time they were emphatic, very impolite profane terms. Today? They sound like something out of a Scooby-Doo episode.

When George Bernard Shaw's play Pygmalion debuted in London in 1913, the inclusion of 'bloody' ("Not bloody likely!") caused a stir. The Daily Mail obliquely referred to the word and the effect it had on the audience, while refusing to actually print the term itself.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:08 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
I wouldn't see a problem with that, do you Dude?
Nope. But I don't see a problem with any swear words, if used appropriately. Like sending a couple of door-knocking JWs on their merry way.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:17 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Cursing is cultural. In Great Britain the word "bloody" is considered poor language.

Quote:
It has been a British intensive swear word at least since 1676. Weekley relates it to the purely intensive use of the cognate Dutch bloed, German Blut. But perhaps it ultimately is connected with bloods in the slang sense of "rowdy young aristocrats" (see blood (n.)) via expressions such as bloody drunk "as drunk as a blood."

Partridge reports that it was "respectable" before c. 1750, and it was used by Fielding and Swift, but heavily tabooed c. 1750-c. 1920, perhaps from imagined association with menstruation; Johnson calls it "very vulgar," and OED writes of it, "now constantly in the mouths of the lowest classes, but by respectable people considered 'a horrid word', on par with obscene or profane language."
https://www.etymonline.com/word/bloody

Every generation invents "sins" that people should "stay away" from. As a young man, a few of these were card-playing, rock and roll music, dancing, drinking, and even smoking (except in the tobacco growing south).

It is cultural and has nothing to do with God.

On the other hand, I think cursing can be an effective venting of emotion if used on very rare occasions. In today's society it has lost it's impact from overuse. Perhaps after this generation, "a plague upon you" will once again become a terrible curse.

Old 09-12-2020, 09:18 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Nope. But I don't see a problem with any swear words, if used appropriately. Like sending a couple of door-knocking JWs on their merry way.
Such as "In the name of Jehovah, get thee away from me?"

Old 09-12-2020, 09:20 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You should not condemn someone you know, nor curse a stranger.
Quote:
You should only "condemn" someone that you do know sir Ez 3:20,21
An unpleasant situation should never lead to condemnation, sir.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:53 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Cursing is cultural. In Great Britain the word "bloody" is considered poor language.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/bloody

Every generation invents "sins" that people should "stay away" from. As a young man, a few of these were card-playing, rock and roll music, dancing, drinking, and even smoking (except in the tobacco growing south).

It is cultural and has nothing to do with God.

On the other hand, I think cursing can be an effective venting of emotion if used on very rare occasions. In today's society it has lost it's impact from overuse. Perhaps after this generation, "a plague upon you" will once again become a terrible curse.
Yup...Same with the ‘F’ word...If you really think about it, we DID really create our own cache of expletives...I doubt that when G-d bestowed the miracle of languages on man that He said, “And here is the list of words that I consider a sin using, and if you do, you will burn in hell!”...

Swearing and cursing are prohibited in the Bible...However, swearing, as in taking an oath, like in the name of G-d (Do not take G-d’s Name in vain)...And cursing as in what WD said above, “a plague upon you!”...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity