Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
No, there is only one Jesus. There is different doctrinal beliefs about Jesus and God's plan of salvation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbabwe View Post
I just got back in town. I had a great time with my family. I will try to respond to everyone's comments in due time but just one at a time. Twin, a brief repsonse to your question is that you are correct--the Bible says that we will neither marry nor be given in marriage in the ressurection. This means that marriage ceremonies do not take place after the ressurection, but it doesn't mean that the marriage between a man and a woman cannot exist beyond the grave. However, these marriage covenants must be entered into while in mortality--either directly or by proxy--and must be sealed by the proper priesthood authority to be in effect beyond the grave. I hope this helps.
Great to hear that you enjoyed that time with your family. My daughter came for a visit this weekend also. We enjoyed our time together as well.

As far as helping, only if that can be shown from the Bible.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:46 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
No, there is only one Jesus. There is different doctrinal beliefs about Jesus and God's plan of salvation.
Well the only way to salvation is through Jesus, correct? And if that is what Mormon's believe, then I fail to see a big discrepancy.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:24 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,003 times
Mormons believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit (ghost) as three seperate beings. They believe Jesus to be the son of God and they focus on the life of Christ rather than the cruxifiction. Therefore you will never see a cross in a mormon church building, however they are Christians. They believe in a living prophet and revelator. Revelations come through the prophet who is called of God. The prophet's word is more valuable than any scripture. If a revelation comes from the prophet, mormons must follow it to be in good standing in the church. The words of the living prophet trump the words of the deceased prophets. They also believed in polygamy for a time and viewed it as a necessity to enter the Celestial Kingdom. Now that has changed to being married to just one person in order to enter into the Kingdom.

They also believe in 3 other books along with the St. James version of the Bible. The books are The Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. Joseph Smith was the first mormon and "translated" the golden plates into the book of mormon. D and C is more translation from God channeled through Joseph Smith regarding Church set-up and regulations. It's the rulebook for the mormon church. The pearl of great price was an egyptian scroll given to Joseph to translate. He translated it into the book of moses and abraham. Abraham would have been related to Joseph who was sold into Egypt. The scrolls that were given to Joseph were later found and translated by a few other "modern day translators" who both concluded that the scrolls were typical funeral papers that were buried with mummy's and the writings from the pearl of great price did not read the same as what they translated.

There are many mormon myths out there as well as secret works that the mormon church doesn't want their followers to know about. I will not disclose them here but if one wants to be enlightened the web is a great place to start.

There is much more on mormons but the bottom line is that they are Christians. As a whole they are good people who strive to be better. I am sorry to hear that some people have had some bad experiences with them. I know that while I grew up in Utah and have been mormon myself the culture can be somewhat daunting and exclusive.

If you are investigating or questioning whether or not you want to become or continue to be a mormon I think an extensive search on early church history is paradyme. The internet is great source as well as many books. You need to make an educated decision and not just rely on the missionary discussions.

If you are a devout mormon believer I know that defending your beliefs is a constant battle. I wish you many blessings and love on your journey.

If you have no intention of becoming a mormon and have never been a mormon and have had "bad" experiences with them. I hope you can find your inner peace with the situation. I can understand the frustrations but it will serve you to let them go.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:44 AM

5 posts, read 8,518 times
Default Make Sure Your Info Is Accurate Before You Go Bashing!

WELL FIRST OFF ID LIKE TO SAY I ADMIRE EVERYONES DRIVE TO STAND UP FOR YOUR BELEIFS ENTIRELY BUT THE THING ABOUT ALL THE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD THAT BASH MORMONS IS THAT THEY ALWAYS HAVE THEIR OWN WAY OF INTERPRETTING THE CHURCH AND WHAT " THEY THINK" WE BELEIVE IN! ITS NEVER TRUE INFORMATION, AND IF THEY DID TRUELY KNOW WHAT WE BELIEVE THEY WOULD SEE OUR LOVE FOR GOD AND SEE THE TRUTH IN ALL WE STRIVE FOR.

BEING A CONVERTED LATTER DAY SAINT, ID LIKE TO INFORM YOU A LITTLE...

WE PREFER TO BE CALLED lds OR LATTER DAY SAINTS NOT MO'S OR ANY OTHER SLANG PEOPLE TRY TO MAKE FUN OF US WITH. AND TECHNICALLY MORMON ISNT THE PRECISE TERM EITHER BUT WE DO USE IT.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO KNOW IS THAT ITS NOT THE PEOPLE THAT ARE PERFECT, WE BELIEVE THE CHURCH HOWEVER IS.
WE UNDERSTAND AND EXCEPT THAT NONE OF US OUR PERFECT AND WE MAKE MISTAKES JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER HUMAN DESPITE WHATEVER RELIGION YOU ARE. THATS WHERE THE ATONEMENT OF CHRIST COMES IN AND WE CAN BE FORGIVEN.

.. I WAS RAISED CATHOLIC, I JOINED THE CHRISTIAN BAPTIST CHURCH IN MY TEENS AND WHEN I WAS A BIT OLDER I STILL FELT MISGUIDED... THEN I GAVE TWO LDS MISSIONARIES A CHANCE TO TEACH ME WHAT THEY KNEW AND ASKED ME TO PRAY WITH ALL MY HEART IF THIS CHURCH WAS TRUE... I OPEN MINDEDLY AND WHOLE HEARTEDLY PRAYED... AND IVE NEVER FELT THE SPIRIT SO WARM OR SO CLOSE BEFORE IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. IT WAS MANIFEST UNTO ME THE GLORY AND TRUTH OF THE CHURCH AND MY EYES WERE OPENED GLADLY.

THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MOMENT... YOU CONSTANTLY SEE OTHER RELIGIONS BASHING AND CRITIQUING LATTER DAY SAINTS, BUT WHEN DO YOU SEE LATTER DAY SAINTS EVER BASHING ANY OTHER RELIGION? NEVER! WE DONT BELIEVE IN CRITISIZM WE ONLY BELIEVE IN STANDING UP FOR OUR FAITH WHEN ASKED UPON. WE ALWAYS SAY "WE BELEIVE" RATHER THEN CONTRIDICT WHAT OTHERS SAY LIKE THEY DO TO US.

we do not have horns, do not think we are gods, or think that blacks are evil but these are some of the common lies that are told of us.
we are normal people, worshipping, and loving god. we strive to learn to love our neighbor as much as God loves all of us. we are always striving to do better. we want only to worship in peace and share our beliefs with whom ever is seeking our truths.

PEOPLE CAN GO LOOK AT ALL THE FAKE LDS OR MORMON WEB SITES THEY'D LIKE, THEY CAN GO LET EVERY PRIEST, NEIGHBOR, OR FAMILY MEMBER PREACH ALL THE FALSE FACTS ABOUT US ALL THEY WANT BUT THE TRUTH IS NEVER IN THOSE PLACES, THE TRUTH IS FOR THOSE THAT SEEK IT NOT BASH IT!

IF YOU WANT TO TALK "MORMONIZM" LOOK NO FURTHER I WILL STATE EXACTLY WHAT WE BELIEVE IN THE FOLLOWING.....

we believe in the 10 commandments and also the following:
1) we believe in God the eternal father and in his son and in the holy ghost.

2) we believe that men will be punished for own sins, not for Adam's transgressions.
-unlike the Catholics who believe in baptising new born babies
because of Adam partaking of the fruit in Eden.

3) we believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4) we believe that the first principles of the Gospel are:
first, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance;
third, baptism by immersion for the remission of sins;
fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5) we believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6) we beleive in the same organization that exsisted in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pasters, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7) we believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8) we believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book Of Mormon to be the word of God.
- believe it or not there are many misinterpretations of the
Bible, and different ways it branches off through different
churches. In fact ALL churches have their own preist who will
recite a quote and then interpret to the people something
HE specifically thinks it means.

- and the tricky confusion people get mad over is the whole
book of mormon contridicting the Bible. and thats not true.
the Bible is certain writings of only a certain period of times
and certain places. we believe that when god saw it was time,
that due to all the branching off of the Bible, he saw fit to
restore the Gospel and have a worthy prophet bring to pass
The Book Of Mormon, another testament of Jesus Chirst.
(what the Bible did not have) God said himself that this very
process would cause confusion and rage of people trying to bash
us from that day forward.

9) we believe all that God has revealed, all that he does now reveal, and we believe that he will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10) we believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoratoins of the Ten Tribes; that Zion( the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth and that the earth will be renewed and recieve its paradisiacal glory.

11) we claim the privledge of worshipping the Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, AND ALLOW ALL MEN THE SAME PRIVILEDGE,
let them worship how, where, or what they may freely.

12) we believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and substaining the law.

13) we beleive in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul - We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we believe in seeking after these things.
- as i said before, its not THE people that are always
right, its the church. Just because you might see
a few latter day saints acting out doesnt mean thats
what we believe to be right.

I THINK IVE SAID ENOUGH NOW CONTRIBUTING TO THIS NICE LITTLE
"MORMON" TALK AND I LEAVE WITH YOU KNOWING THESE THINGS IVE SPOKEN TO BE TRUE. THROUGH MY UNWAIVERING FAITH AND JOY... BEST WISHES TO EACH OF YOU.

Last edited by snowboard24/7; 03-10-2008 at 05:53 AM..

Old 03-10-2008, 05:44 AM

5 posts, read 8,518 times
Default P.S. one more thing...

i just have to say a few more things...

after reading over a lot of these replies, all I have to say is this...

to all of thee "non-members":

95% of your information about mormons is
absolutely misled, twisted, & wrong about the church
Thee other five percent is translated by your own mind.
(which is always far from what we believe) so no matter
what info you think you have, you cant know the truth
when you are searching for the false truths.

to all of thee "members":

I have read many of your replies and im so impressed
and overwhelmed with happiness to see all of you stand
tall and strong with the outstanding knowledge you
have all brought forth on this message board. Its so
great to see such strong members not just state, but
KNOW that our church is true and stick together. As
much as people and the advisary will try to break our
beliefs we will stand up for our beliefs through the
holy ghost, and faith that we know NO ONE can rob of us

to all of those seeking knowledge of religion in general

i was once in your shoes searching for truth...
i am not LDS against my will. It is thee only religion that fully makes sense. my advice is to search diligently, and whole heartly for GOD the father, and his son JESUS CHRIST. Search with open minds and faith that the door will
be opened unto you if you knock. once you pray so much that tears fill your eyes, and you feel the spirits warmth, thats when it will be shown unto you in your heart, the truth of the Gospel. Find whats right for YOU! There is no greater love then Gods love, and for that, NONE of us are ever alone! He has a great plan that not all of us may fully understand, but seek the knowledge now and blessings will happen. Do not let ANYONE make you believe something without believing it yourself. Be true. If you do this, believe me, your life will be changed tremendously in all aspects of life!

with Great hope & Love for all of those who stand on the Lords side, despite color, religion, or race, best wishes to all!

love,
Ash

Old 03-10-2008, 06:31 AM

250 posts, read 503,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Mormons believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit (ghost) as three seperate beings. They believe Jesus to be the son of God and they focus on the life of Christ rather than the cruxifiction. Therefore you will never see a cross in a mormon church building, however they are Christians. They believe in a living prophet and revelator. Revelations come through the prophet who is called of God. The prophet's word is more valuable than any scripture. If a revelation comes from the prophet, mormons must follow it to be in good standing in the church. The words of the living prophet trump the words of the deceased prophets. They also believed in polygamy for a time and viewed it as a necessity to enter the Celestial Kingdom. Now that has changed to being married to just one person in order to enter into the Kingdom.

They also believe in 3 other books along with the St. James version of the Bible. The books are The Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants and Pearl of Great Price. Joseph Smith was the first mormon and "translated" the golden plates into the book of mormon. D and C is more translation from God channeled through Joseph Smith regarding Church set-up and regulations. It's the rulebook for the mormon church. The pearl of great price was an egyptian scroll given to Joseph to translate. He translated it into the book of moses and abraham. Abraham would have been related to Joseph who was sold into Egypt. The scrolls that were given to Joseph were later found and translated by a few other "modern day translators" who both concluded that the scrolls were typical funeral papers that were buried with mummy's and the writings from the pearl of great price did not read the same as what they translated.

There are many mormon myths out there as well as secret works that the mormon church doesn't want their followers to know about. I will not disclose them here but if one wants to be enlightened the web is a great place to start.

There is much more on mormons but the bottom line is that they are Christians. As a whole they are good people who strive to be better. I am sorry to hear that some people have had some bad experiences with them. I know that while I grew up in Utah and have been mormon myself the culture can be somewhat daunting and exclusive.

If you are investigating or questioning whether or not you want to become or continue to be a mormon I think an extensive search on early church history is paradyme. The internet is great source as well as many books. You need to make an educated decision and not just rely on the missionary discussions.

If you are a devout mormon believer I know that defending your beliefs is a constant battle. I wish you many blessings and love on your journey.

If you have no intention of becoming a mormon and have never been a mormon and have had "bad" experiences with them. I hope you can find your inner peace with the situation. I can understand the frustrations but it will serve you to let them go.
Thank you moonsavvy. I appreciate your remarks. You give a fair represention of the Church. If I may I would like to make a few minor corrections. The Doctrine and Covenants is a book of revelation not a translated book, which is what I think you meant anyway

Concerning the The Pearl of Great Price, only the Book of Abraham was derived from ancient text. As far as any alleged descrepancies in that translation, we must reverve that discussion for another day. The book of Moses is a book that was given to Joesph Smith by revelation. The last book in the Pearl of Great Price is the Joseph Smith history which details the early history and foundations of the church.

Quote:
There are many mormon myths out there as well as secret works that the mormon church doesn't want their followers to know about.
I am not sure I agree with what you are saying here but I may be misinterpeting your words.

Finally, the best way to learn about the church is from the church and its members.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:39 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,345,832 times
Quote:
Finally, the best way to learn about the church is from the church and its members.
Zimbabwe: we trust your time at home in celebration of your father's 80th birthday bash was an enhancing experience for all. It is good to have you back again.

Please take a look on page 86, and when you get a free moment, would you kindly respond.

Quote:
What we cannot find is the addition of "not" oujciv. Oujciv is not before "leaving", nor the Koine mhv as "mhv laying".

YouTube - Christian Music Video - Awesome God

Last edited by Birdy_56; 03-10-2008 at 08:10 AM..

Old 03-10-2008, 11:31 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Had FIVE hours between plane changes and you folks furnish the free van ride into town. It is the highlight of Temple Square. I hung out in the geneology (sp) library instead and then went for a burger at the Big Boy around the corner.

Big difference: The temple is a building. The Pope is a person that has a zillion things to attend to.
There's a Big Boy in SLC????

Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,895 times
Quote:
Doji:

Sorry this thread has lost its tight focus but it is still in keeping with the main theme of the thread. We were on number eight and can proceed to number 9 if everyone is ready to do so.
I'm ready, but I'm not sure about the others.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:04 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,003 times
Quote:
Thank you moonsavvy. I appreciate your remarks. You give a fair represention of the Church. If I may I would like to make a few minor corrections. The Doctrine and Covenants is a book of revelation not a translated book, which is what I think you meant anyway

Concerning the The Pearl of Great Price, only the Book of Abraham was derived from ancient text. As far as any alleged descrepancies in that translation, we must reverve that discussion for another day. The book of Moses is a book that was given to Joesph Smith by revelation. The last book in the Pearl of Great Price is the Joseph Smith history which details the early history and foundations of the church.

I am not sure I agree with what you are saying here but I may be misinterpeting your words.

Well my sister or brother (sorry I'm not sure ) I thank you for adding to my post and gently correcting. Yes I meant the D and C was "Channeled" from God. But I'm not nitpicky so we can call it whatever you feel comfortable with.

What I have learned is that having strong belief's about something doesn't necessarily make you more spiritual. This goes for all organized religions as well not just LDS members.

I really don't want to say much more because I don't want to come off as anti-mormon. If you are happy in your current belief's than I don't want to persuade you or others one way or another. I wish you the best! Lots of Love.

PS I come from many generations of mormonism (on both sides) all my family is mormon and my last name is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity