Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 02:46 PM

223 posts, read 496,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
Question to Mormons

If Jesus told the Samarian woman that true worshippers would worship God in spirit and in truth, then why are you still worshiping in a temple?

John 4:20-24 "Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you [Jews] say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship." Jesus said to her, "Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. "You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. "But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. "God [is] Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

John 2:19-21 Jesus answered and said to them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." Then the Jews said, "It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?" But He was speaking of the temple of His body.

Acts 17:24 "God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.

The temple was destroyed by the Roman legions in 70 AD.

Why do you care??? We will all find out who is right real soon.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:41 PM

255 posts, read 608,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I get it now. And some posting below acknowledges that this is in fact an LDS belief. Unbelievable. This is tantamount to saying that a minority is a lesser being. I can't believe I'm reading this, but my suspicions are confirmed. Let me ask you, do you have single friends or divorced friends who are just as holy and decent as married folks you know? No other religion has such an issue with marital status. Now I see why I didn't get a job offer.

Am I seeing this right? Or are any LDS people out there willing to rebut/clarify this?
No, Mormons don't believe single people are lesser beings. The critical piece of information you are missing is that Mormons believe that righteous single people will find spouses in the afterlife. (Although their temple work will need to be done by someone on earth. I was always taught that these temple sealings/marriages would be done during the Millennium.) So, being single is a lesser state than being married, but all righteous people will eventually get to be married.

Now, being single can be awkward as a Mormon, I imagine, because there is so much emphasis on marriage and family. There isn't a lot of support for the idea that someone just has a different calling in life. It's ok to not be married, but it's less ok to not want to get married.

But Mormons I know don't think single people are in any way less righteous than married people.

(And just in case you haven't read the entire thread--I'm an ex-Mormon with no motivation to make the Mormon church look better than it is.)

Old 03-09-2008, 03:44 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
Now, being single can be awkward as a Mormon, I imagine, because there is so much emphasis on marriage and family. There isn't a lot of support for the idea that someone just has a different calling in life. It's ok to not be married, but it's less ok to not want to get married.

But Mormons I know don't think single people are in any way less righteous than married people.

(And just in case you haven't read the entire thread--I'm an ex-Mormon with no motivation to make the Mormon church look better than it is.)
Thank you. You came forth and shed some light on this topic.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:28 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
Finding a spouse in the afterlife?

Jesus said that “You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God

Matt. 22:29

Old 03-09-2008, 08:00 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Plus it leaves me wondering why you expend the energy to study our doctrine so intently. I try to be somewhat familiar with other beliefs, but I certainly don't spend what seems to be excessive energy and time on them.
I wonder that sometimes too. But then somebody thanks me for coming to believe what the Bible teaches about Gods plan about faith in Jesus.

Like Paul while in Athens "was greatly distressed to see that the city was full of idols." Acts 16:17. Can you imagine how much time it took to see that the city was full of idols? Pauls effort resulted in a few men believing. That is the only why I spend the time....maybe a few will read this and come to believe in the Jesus of the Bible. Hopefully coolcats, you'll be one of the few.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
maybe a few will read this and come to believe in the Jesus of the Bible.
??? Forgive me for sounding dumb, but I thought there is only one Jesus. Are you saying there is more than one?

Old 03-09-2008, 09:59 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,568 times
wow. cyclic. we are now right back to the tug-o-war from page 20-ish.

i have an idea. let's agree to stop arguing. there is not really any point in trying to proove things by scriptural reference for multiple reasons: it is not done in the right spirit, and no one is going to 'convince' anyone else the errors of their ways.

zimb was doing a good job of dissecting the teachings of the church, which is the original, sterilized purpose of this thread.

those who want to hear all of the *dirty secrets* of the church, and the wink-wink-type stuff that we supposedly really believe in (you know, the baby sacrfices in the temples, having to file our horns so you can't see them when we knock on your door, the bainwashing tactics that we perfect, etc), should probably start a new thread. make sure to specifically note that it will be for nonmormons only; we don't want the actual mormons going in there and poisoning the discussions with real-life mormon experience or anything.

anyone who wishes to stay and join in zimb's guided tour of mormonism, i would ask that you do so politely, respectfully, and with all of the love in your christian hearts that i am sure you possess. this discussion was trying to give the curious actual information on mormon doctrine, from some of the people that know the difference between mormon doctrine, mormon tradition, rumors of mormon doctrine, and rumors of mormon tradition.

when i mention being polite and playing nicely, i do not mean agreeing or denying the questions you really want to ask (although i would differentiate between the questions you want to ask because you would honestly like to know the answer, and the questions that you would ask because you think you already know the answer, already have 30 verses prepared to counter the answer, and currently have your dictionaries and your thesaurus open in thirteen languages to try to trap people in their words). i just mean to attempt to keep the discussion on a constructive and edifying rail. if you believe there is nothing edifying to be had here, then maybe this isn't the thread for you.

aaron out.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
??? Forgive me for sounding dumb, but I thought there is only one Jesus. Are you saying there is more than one?
No, there is only one Jesus. There is different doctrinal beliefs about Jesus and God's plan of salvation.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 PM

250 posts, read 503,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
zimbabwe,
My intent wasn't to fuel any "fires". I was only focusing in on the importance of marriage within the Mormon faith. This wasn't meant to be a hate discord.

There are several objections to this statement:

"sealed in an eternal marriage, linked to their generations, and assured of exaltation"

1. "sealed in an eternal marriage." Jesus replied to this when asked by the Sadducee's, who say there is no resurrection.... they Sadducee's were trying to disprove the resurrection, but Jesus focused on marriage beyond this life

Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?"

"You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage." Matthew 22:22-32 (NIV)

Luke 20:27-39 (NIV) expands it to say this (note bold print in this passage)

Luke 20:34Jesus replied, "The people of this age marry and are given in marriage.

35But those who are considered worthy of taking part in that age and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage,

36and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God's children, since they are children of the resurrection.

verse 35 (KJV) "But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage"

Do you understand what Jesus just said? This is a direct revelation from Jesus that attacks LDS teaching. No more marriages or given into marriages, and those who believe such things are not considered worthy.

Why does Jesus reveal such things as recorded in the Bible if it isn't true?

What was the responce to Jesus?

Luke 29:39-40 "Some of the teachers of the law responded, "Well said, teacher!" 40And no one dared to ask him any more questions."

Zimbabwe, there should be alarm bells going off inside of you. Please, listen to Jesus' warning.....those who will be considered worthy will not be married or given into marriage. This is a revealed fact.
I just got back in town. I had a great time with my family. I will try to respond to everyone's comments in due time but just one at a time. Twin, a brief repsonse to your question is that you are correct--the Bible says that we will neither marry nor be given in marriage in the ressurection. This means that marriage ceremonies do not take place after the ressurection, but it doesn't mean that the marriage between a man and a woman cannot exist beyond the grave. However, these marriage covenants must be entered into while in mortality--either directly or by proxy--and must be sealed by the proper priesthood authority to be in effect beyond the grave. I hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:42 PM

aaron,
I hope that you aren't including me in this------

"hear all of the *dirty secrets* of the church, and the wink-wink-type stuff that we supposedly really believe in (you know, the baby sacrfices in the temples, having to file our horns so you can't see them when we knock on your door, the bainwashing tactics that we perfect, etc), should probably start a new thread. make sure to specifically note that it will be for nonmormons only; we don't want the actual mormons going in there and poisoning the discussions with real-life mormon experience or anything." stycol

Jesus said that “You are in error, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage".

The real question is this: Who are you going to believe?

What astounds me is that this is so clear, yet so few believe. I hurts me to know that so many go away disappointed after Jesus speaks so clearly.

Please tell me what is not clear about Jesus' word vs LDS teaching about this:
"But those who are considered worthy of taking part in that age and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage,

Is not the whole point of Mormonism is to be found worthy before Heavenly Father?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity