Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:40 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times

Advertisements

sorry, too soon for a "rep"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,145,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Then you confess that those who insist the word "Easter" used in the King James Version in Acts 12:4 is a mistranslation and the word "Passover" is the correct translation. You are the first person I believe that has ever confessed that "Easter" is incorrect. Thank you.

Everyone knows the word is Passover. Its the RCC that created Easter, so that is probably why it is in the KJV and Passover is in Everything else.

Acts 12:4 (1611 King James Bible)

Viewing the 1611 King James Version. Click to switch to standard King James Version of Acts 12:4

And when hee had apprehended him, hee put him in prison, and deliuered him to foure quaternions of souldiers to keepe him, intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

- 1611 King James Bible [RIGHT]
[/RIGHT]

Other Translations of Acts 12:4

And when he had apprehended him, he put [him] in prison, and delivered [him] to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.
- King James Version (Cambridge Edition)

And when he had taken him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to guard him; intending after the Passover to bring him forth to the people.
- American Standard Version (1901)

And having taken him, he put him in prison, with four bands of armed men to keep watch over him; his purpose being to take him out to the people after the Passover.
- Basic English Bible

And having taken him, he put him in prison, with four bands of armed men to keep watch over him; his purpose being to take him out to the people after the Passover.
- Darby Bible

Ac 12:4 Four quaterions of soldiers. Sixteen soldiers divided into four watches, so that four would be on watch all the time, two in the prison and two at the door.
- People's Bible

And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after the passover to bring him forth to the people.
- Webster's Bible

He had him arrested and lodged in jail, handing him over to the care of sixteen soldiers; and intended after the Passover to bring him out again to the people.
- Weymouth Bible

When he had arrested him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four squads of four soldiers each to guard him, intending to bring him out to the people after the Passover.
- World English Bible

whom also having seized, he did put in prison, having delivered [him] to four quaternions of soldiers to guard him, intending after the passover to bring him forth to the people.
- Youngs Literal Bible

Old 04-13-2014, 07:50 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
LOL! The "Catholic" bible then and now was the Douay (updated in the Rhiems editions) and the KJV was atranslation put together by a "Protestant" team. Your initial assertion makes no sense.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:53 AM

951 posts, read 1,053,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Um, no. You are new here. EVERY Easter someone sashays in here and proceeds to "inform" Christians that Easter is the name of a Pagan goddess...something most of us learned, oh, maybe fifty years ago or so when we were children. It's not news. Some people prefer to call it Resurrection Day, but most people just go with the tradition. It doesn't matter, just as Christian weddings include the exchange of rings, an old pagan custom.

Oh, and FYI, we all know that Jesus wasn't born on December 25, either, and that Christmas is held on what were originally pagan celebrations, too.
If modern Christianity is based on meaningless traditions and not based on the Bible then you are not living by every Word of God as Christ quoted from the Book of Deuteronomy.

It is time this nation woke up and started obeying the True Christ and started living by the Word of God.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Everyone knows the word is Passover. Its the RCC that created Easter, so that is probably why it is in the KJV and Passover is in Everything else.

Acts 12:4 (1611 King James Bible)

Viewing the 1611 King James Version. Click to switch to standard King James Version of Acts 12:4

And when hee had apprehended him, hee put him in prison, and deliuered him to foure quaternions of souldiers to keepe him, intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.

- 1611 King James Bible [RIGHT]
[/RIGHT]

Other Translations of Acts 12:4

And when he had apprehended him, he put [him] in prison, and delivered [him] to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people.
- King James Version (Cambridge Edition)

And when he had taken him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to guard him; intending after the Passover to bring him forth to the people.
- American Standard Version (1901)

- Basic English Bible

- Darby Bible

Ac 12:4 Four quaterions of soldiers. Sixteen soldiers divided into four watches, so that four would be on watch all the time, two in the prison and two at the door.
- People's Bible

And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after the passover to bring him forth to the people.
- Webster's Bible

He had him arrested and lodged in jail, handing him over to the care of sixteen soldiers; and intended after the Passover to bring him out again to the people.
- Weymouth Bible

When he had arrested him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four squads of four soldiers each to guard him, intending to bring him out to the people after the Passover.
- World English Bible

whom also having seized, he did put in prison, having delivered [him] to four quaternions of soldiers to guard him, intending after the passover to bring him forth to the people.
- Youngs Literal Bible
Thank you for your comments. I actually got into a heated discussion one time with someone who insisted that the word "Easter" actually represented a different observance than Passover even though I insisted that Luke used the word "Passover" every where else for this same Greek word.

Thanks again.

tthttf

Old 04-13-2014, 11:16 AM

368 posts, read 391,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Then you confess that those who insist the word "Easter" used in the King James Version in Acts 12:4 is a mistranslation and the word "Passover" is the correct translation. You are the first person I believe that has ever confessed that "Easter" is incorrect. Thank you.
While I agree that it is a bad translation, I do not see that I "confessed" any such thing in what I wrote above. Whether someone agrees with you or not, to place words in someone else's mouth, and to claim that they said things that they did not say, is both completely dishonest and supremely arrogant. While other people may let you get away with such bad behavior, I certainly will not. If you want to know whether I agree with your position, then ask a simple honest question, rather than lying to me and to the world about what I "confessed".

As for my being the "first person" you have ever met who has agreed that "Easter" is not the correct translation of the word pascha found in the original Greek of Acts 12:4, all I can say is that you seem to travel in highly limited circles (which might explain your odd notion that all of the world speaks English...), and that you do not know any Catholics. Catholics do not use the "Authorized", or "King James" version of the Bible, and we have always regarded it as defective. The Rheims translation of the New Testament, which is a Catholic translation produced in 1582 (or almost 30 years before the publication of the Authorized Version) translated the verse as "meaning after the Pasche to bring him forth to the people." In his 18th Century revision of the whole Douay-Rheims Bible, Bishop Challoner rendered the verse as "intending, after the pasch, to bring him forth to the people." The New American Bible, which is the Catholic translation created under the auspices of the Catholic bishops of the United States, and the Catholic translation that is most widely used today in the United States, renders the verse as "He intended to bring him before the people after Passover." Therefore, despite your very aggressive choice of words, there is thus nothing for any Catholic to "confess" regarding how to translate the word pascha in Acts 12:4, because Catholics have never rendered this word as "Easter" in this verse in any of our English-language translations of the Bible.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:32 AM

368 posts, read 391,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Its the RCC that created Easter, so that is probably why it is in the KJV and Passover is in Everything else.
Moderator cut: delete

King James I of England was a PROTESTANT, and the head of the Church of England. His bible translation was as much a political document as it was a religious one, and all of the wording was deliberately chosen to bolster the position of the Anglican Church as the state religion.

Moderator cut: delete
Furthermore, the liturgical language of the Roman rite of the Catholic church is Latin. If you turn to the page in the Latin Missale Romanum for the day in question, you will see it named as "Dominica Resurrectionis", or "Sunday of the Resurrection", while the week that follows is called "Octava Paschae", or "the Octave of Pasch." Catholics (who were celebrating Easter in Greek and Latin for some 600 years before the pagan Angles and Saxons in Britain were converted to Christianity) have no particular attachment to the English language, and are not the ones who are hung up on "Easter" as the name given to the day in English.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-14-2014 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: insult

Old 04-13-2014, 11:47 AM

889 posts, read 826,093 times
It's like Halloween. I guess Easter means something different to a pagan. I'm Christian. For me it means the Day of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. The name is irrelevant. Many pagan holidays were hijacked to lure people to Christianity. It's called marketing.

For those folks who are strongly against the Easter name....Get a life, for God's sake.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Um, no. You are new here. EVERY Easter someone sashays in here and proceeds to "inform" Christians that Easter is the name of a Pagan goddess...something most of us learned, oh, maybe fifty years ago or so when we were children. It's not news. Some people prefer to call it Resurrection Day, but most people just go with the tradition. It doesn't matter, just as Christian weddings include the exchange of rings, an old pagan custom.

Oh, and FYI, we all know that Jesus wasn't born on December 25, either, and that Christmas is held on what were originally pagan celebrations, too.
Exactly! Thanks for being a "mythbuster"!

My Lutheran liturgical calendar refers to next Sunday as the "Festival of the Resurrection".

In addition, we know that many pagan cultures had spring ceremonies such as maypole dancing; autumnal ceremonies such as bonfires to keep the sun from going away, which we now celebrate as Halloween, etc. We all borrow from each other.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
While I agree that it is a bad translation, I do not see that I "confessed" any such thing in what I wrote above. Whether someone agrees with you or not, to place words in someone else's mouth, and to claim that they said things that they did not say, is both completely dishonest and supremely arrogant. While other people may let you get away with such bad behavior, I certainly will not. If you want to know whether I agree with your position, then ask a simple honest question, rather than lying to me and to the world about what I "confessed".

As for my being the "first person" you have ever met who has agreed that "Easter" is not the correct translation of the word pascha found in the original Greek of Acts 12:4, all I can say is that you seem to travel in highly limited circles (which might explain your odd notion that all of the world speaks English...), and that you do not know any Catholics. Catholics do not use the "Authorized", or "King James" version of the Bible, and we have always regarded it as defective. The Rheims translation of the New Testament, which is a Catholic translation produced in 1582 (or almost 30 years before the publication of the Authorized Version) translated the verse as "meaning after the Pasche to bring him forth to the people." In his 18th Century revision of the whole Douay-Rheims Bible, Bishop Challoner rendered the verse as "intending, after the pasch, to bring him forth to the people." The New American Bible, which is the Catholic translation created under the auspices of the Catholic bishops of the United States, and the Catholic translation that is most widely used today in the United States, renders the verse as "He intended to bring him before the people after Passover." Therefore, despite your very aggressive choice of words, there is thus nothing for any Catholic to "confess" regarding how to translate the word pascha in Acts 12:4, because Catholics have never rendered this word as "Easter" in this verse in any of our English-language translations of the Bible.
No, you did confess something that the Americans think is a different day of worship. I guess you don't realize that Christ, the Passover Lamb, was crucified on the 14th of Nisan/Abib and His Resurrection occurred exactly 72 hours from the time He was placed in the tomb.

What you just admitted was that the Passover is what the RCC is really celebrating which means the day of Christ's resurrection actually occurs 72 hours later during the middle of the week to make it fit with your Sunday Passover.

I keep the Passover in just a few hours of now on the evening of the 14th of Nisan/Abib the same time Christ washed the disciples feet and took the bread and wine. I keep God's 1st Day of Unleavened Bread tomorrow beginning at sunset, the evening of the 15th Nisan/Abib.

About 8 days from now, I will be keeping the 7th and final day of Unleavened Bread another one of God's Holy Days on the 21st of Nisan/Abib.

There is no day to celebrate for the resurrection, but there is a Levitical ceremony on the 1st day of the week during the Days of Unleavened Bread that pictures the ascension of Christ on the Day after His Resurrection.

We need to wake up and keep the Days written down in God's Word and not these pagan/worldly substitutes.

No offense intended.

tthttf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity