Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:11 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,102,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Don't apologize. That started getting really interesting......until you mentioned "married couples".
Oh, sorry to kill the excitement with a marriage reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 PM

4,239 posts, read 4,497,404 times
Default A psa....

As I walk the halls of CityData and poke my head into the digital Salon where Christianity is being discussed as it relates to 21st century celebration of resurrection and the marketing holiday known as Easter, I pause to reflect and repost an old comment for perspective:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/philo...l#post29942269

As to the timing of Christmas i.e. Christ's birth which someone mentioned earlier, the key is they were collecting taxes about the kingdom and this would have occurred (ironically enough) in April so they adjusted the birth time (for their own pagan co-marketing celebration convenience) , but one thing is for sure, like death (for us mortals) we all pay the tax man!

Celebrate Tax Freedom Day! In my State, I am now earning money for myself - all the prior days work for the year were for the government.

Now where are those chocolate eggs....

Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,061,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
As I walk the halls of CityData and poke my head into the digital Salon where Christianity is being discussed as it relates to 21st century celebration of resurrection and the marketing holiday known as Easter, I pause to reflect and repost an old comment for perspective:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/philo...l#post29942269

As to the timing of Christmas i.e. Christ's birth which someone mentioned earlier, the key is they were collecting taxes about the kingdom and this would have occurred (ironically enough) in April so they adjusted the birth time (for their own pagan co-marketing celebration convenience) , but one thing is for sure, like death (for us mortals) we all pay the tax man!

Celebrate Tax Freedom Day! In my State, I am now earning money for myself - all the prior days work for the year were for the government.

Now where are those chocolate eggs....
I thought the Romans were doing a census, not collecting taxes at the time of Jesus' birth.

Luke 2:1-20 - The Birth of Jesus - In those days - Bible Gateway
Luke 2:1-20 - ESVBible.org - In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered....
scripture (Catholic Bible)

My educated guess is they didn't do this in the winter, but they might have done it in fall, after the harvest.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:44 PM

4,239 posts, read 4,497,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I thought the Romans were doing a census, not collecting taxes at the time of Jesus' birth.

Luke 2:1-20 - The Birth of Jesus - In those days - Bible Gateway
Luke 2:1-20 - ESVBible.org - In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered....
scripture (Catholic Bible)

My educated guess is they didn't do this in the winter, but they might have done it in fall, after the harvest.
They were inextricably related, the census was used to provide property related information for taxation purposes. Here is history / summary of the process.

Roman Taxes

Census of Quirinius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-16-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
They were inextricably related, the census was used to provide property related information for taxation purposes. Here is history / summary of the process.

Roman Taxes

Census of Quirinius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Wiki article casts doubt on the whole census business, something I have heard before. Not dates are given in either article that would give one any indication of what month of the year Jesus was born.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:49 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,798,963 times
The Christian's stole from the Pagans. Originally, there was no celebration of holidays with Christians. Pagans celebrated and enjoyed life. Christians believed the celebration was to come after life. Christ's birthday was set at the winter solstice, because pagan's celebrated at that time, and it was considered a way to garner support for the Christian religion to celebrate Christ's birth at the winter solstice, even though it was believed Christ was born in the spring. Easter was set at the Spring (Vernal) equinox.

Last edited by 9162; 04-18-2014 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
The Christian's stole from the Pagans. Originally, there was no celebration of holidays with Christians. Pagans celebrated and enjoyed life. Christians believed the celebration was to come after life. Christ's birthday was set at the winter solstice, because pagan's celebrated at that time, and it was considered a way to garner support for the Christian religion to celebrate Christ's birth at the winter solstice, even though it was believed Christ was born in the spring. Easter was set at the Spring (Vernal) equinox.
Sigh! We know, we know, and we've known for a long time. Do you have any other "news", like how the Chinese invented fireworks?

Old 04-18-2014, 03:09 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Sigh! We know, we know, and we've known for a long time. Do you have any other "news", like how the Chinese invented fireworks?
Oo oo, I have one! Did you know that you're NOT supposed to use an apostrophe before the "s" when you make a word plural?

Have mercy on me, Lord...

Old 04-18-2014, 03:20 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,967,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oo oo, I have one! Did you know that you're NOT supposed to use an apostrophe before the "s" when you make a word plural?

Have mercy on me, Lord...
There is NO mercy for Grammar Nazis, but a special place in Hell. I'll see if I can sneak you a fan.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
There is NO mercy for Grammar Nazis, but a special place in Hell. I'll see if I can sneak you a fan.
Thanks, you're a pal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity