Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 01:11 PM

88,798 posts, read 85,207,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
If modern Christianity is based on meaningless traditions and not based on the Bible then you are not living by every Word of God as Christ quoted from the Book of Deuteronomy.

It is time this nation woke up and started obeying the True Christ and started living by the Word of God.
Don't worry, Easter is a lot more to most Christians than the name.

The "nation" doesn't have to do anything of the sort. We don't live under a religious government, thank God. That's never worked well at any time in history, because human power-grabbing and Christianity are at odds with one another in principle. Both become corrupted when they are mixed up together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 01:13 PM

1,382 posts, read 771,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
It's like Halloween. I guess Easter means something different to a pagan. I'm Christian. For me it means the Day of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. The name is irrelevant. Many pagan holidays were hijacked to lure people to Christianity. It's called marketing.

For those folks who are strongly against the Easter name....Get a life, for God's sake.
Dear gtbh,
Easter and Christmas were instituted at the council of Nicaea in 325 A.D.. The Council was convened and chaired by the Roman emperor Constantine. His purpose was not marketing, but the consolidation of Roman power, by folding the religions of the his empire into a single entity. With regards to who Constantine was, he was the beast with two horns like a lamb, of Rev 13:11, who was to deceive "those who dwell on the earth. Constantine's church and state, operate under the authority of the dragon (Rev 13:2)

John 14:30, "The ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in me."

Old 04-13-2014, 01:52 PM

1,382 posts, read 771,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post

2ndpillar, once again you display to the world that you know nothing about church history. One of the main reasons for calling the Council of Nicaea in A.D. 325 (and I really do wish you would learn how to write such dates correctly; "325 A.D." is not correct, but is instead backwards) was to reach agreement on a common date for the observance of the Paschal day, which was instead ALREADY observed on different days depending on where one lived. This difference in longstanding observance had produced confusion and conflict for many years, and thus the need for a common date. To claim that the feast was only "instituted" in A.D. 325 is absurd, unsupportable, and ignorant nonsense.
Dear green,
You kind of missed the point. The whole religious atmosphere of the 4th century was in confusion and disarray. Constantine was simply trying to tie all the multiple religions together to produce a more unified empire. He was the initiator of the Council and the power behind the unification of the differing traditions of the religions involved. As the Pontifex Maximus of the pagan church as well as Pontifex Maximus of the new Roman church, the traditions were mixed together, and the birthday of his Sol Invictus, the 25th of December, became the birth date of Christ, and according to pagan fertility worship, the date of Easter was set. The date has nothing to do with 3 days and nights after the 14th day of the 1st month, and everything to do with precepts of men. But as Yeshua said in Rev 22:11 & 10,"let the one who does wrong, still do wrong ... for the time is near". Feel free to bow to idols, pray to the dead, and keep the traditions of men, but that didn't work out for the Jews, so I am not sure how it will work out with you.

Mt 15:9," But in vain do they worship me, Teaching as their doctrines the precepts of men"

Isaiah 29:13," Then the Lord said, "Because this people draw near with their words And honor Me with their lip service, But they remove their hearts far from Me, And their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote,

Old 04-13-2014, 06:27 PM

335 posts, read 410,953 times
The church (modern Christianity) is literally plagued by contradictory, nonchalant, religious practices (ineffectively and lacking a safety net that would distance themselves from "religion", which is their mantra and actually mine as well. As a Christian myself I often respond with WHAT? Easter (with all of its pagan fertility god links) replaces Passover? Who was the bean head that dreamt THAT one up. IN fairness the church "replaced" the pagan holiday with
the celebration of the risen Christ so how can that be a "bad"? There isn't anything wrong with
Easter eggs , bunnies are emblems of the fertility god Ishtar . The Council of Nicaea who via their perversions of scripture detoured Catholicism sometime around 325-327 A.D. from the mainstream of Christianity and nearly became themselves a pagan religion if not for their one
and only one "save". They believe in the Son of Man ,His Grace and by Faith. Somehow we were able to eliminate the nonsense of infant baptism to mention one sacrament ,BUT for reasons that remain a mystery we kept some of the mandates of both Nicaea and the Papacy
so evangelical protestants are just like a synod of Catholicism ,but have not clue that is the case. We tweeked some things, but oops THAT should have been done too.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:16 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,372,893 times
Quote:
If modern Christianity is based on meaningless traditions and not based on the Bible then you are not living by every Word of God as Christ quoted from the Book of Deuteronomy.

It is time this nation woke up and started obeying the True Christ and started living by the Word of God.
I have a question for you:

Do you think God is anal about this?

Old 04-13-2014, 07:55 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,940,992 times
Quote:
These are the days that true Christians are to observe:

PASSOVER
DAYS OF UNLEAVENED BREAD
PENTECOST
FEAST OF TRUMPETS
DAY OF ATONEMENT
FEAST OF TABERNACLES
LAST GREAT DAY
Those were the days which were required of the Israelites under the ceremonial/sacrificial laws. We are to obey the revealed will of God which comprises His moral law which is the ten commandments. The only day in that which is to be set aside is the Sabbath (which day that is is arguable; I feel it is rather legalistic to say one is valid and one is not as long as one has a good biblical reason to sanction one day over the other). My faith does not celebrate Easter (nor does it Christmas). We consider it to be a pagan tradition.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:17 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,372,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Those were the days which were required of the Israelites under the ceremonial/sacrificial laws. We are to obey the revealed will of God which comprises His moral law which is the ten commandments. The only day in that which is to be set aside is the Sabbath (which day that is is arguable; I feel it is rather legalistic to say one is valid and one is not as long as one has a good biblical reason to sanction one day over the other). My faith does not celebrate Easter (nor does it Christmas). We consider it to be a pagan tradition.
A Christian Jew?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:24 PM

24,156 posts, read 32,612,574 times
Quote:
Christ and the early apostles kept the Passover and God's Sabbaths and annual Holy Days. They did not deviate from God's Word the Holy Bible and institute a new set of days to be observed as modern Christianity has done. True Christians are to keep the same days Christ and the apostles observed which were the same days that the Jews/Israelites always have.

Even Christ's crucifixion and death occurred on the 14th of the month of Nisan/Abib the first month on the Jewish/Israelite calendar (Sacred Calendar -- God's True Passover falls on the 14th Nisan/Abib).

Also, God's Holy Spirit was poured out on the New Testament Church on what day? Was it just a plain ordinary day of the week? Why no, it occurred on the Day of Pentecost known also as Feast of Weeks or Feast of Firstfruits, a high Sabbath day, one of the 7 annual Holy Days of God that the Jewish/Israelitish people have observed for centuries prior and found written in the Bible as a day commanded to be observed.

So why does modern Christianity today keep a day with the name of a pagan goddess placed on it that is not even commanded to be kept in the Scriptures?

I contend that modern Christianity is not really true Christianity at all but really just paganism wrapped in deception hiding behind Christian symbols and Christian sounding rhetoric masquerading as God's True Church. But don't believe me without proving this to be true for yourself. Go and personally examine why you are keeping days not ordained by God in His Word the Bible and prove to your own self whether what I am saying is right or wrong.

Now, you would logically expect, that the true people of God would keep the days that are listed, where? In some writings of men in a church who has deviated from the true teachings of Christ? No! Why, you would expect the true people of God to keep the very days found in the pages of the Holy Bible which was inspired by God and you would be right because they truly are found in the Word of God!

These are the days that true Christians are to observe:

PASSOVER
DAYS OF UNLEAVENED BREAD
PENTECOST
FEAST OF TRUMPETS
DAY OF ATONEMENT
FEAST OF TABERNACLES
LAST GREAT DAY

(Note: see Leviticus 23 for a description of these days. These days are all contained in this chapter even though some of the exact names listed above are not used explicitly.)

These are the 7 festivals of God that contain the Passover and the 7 annual Holy Days of God which have great significance for true Christians and trace each year the wonderful plan of God that is in the process of being worked out which will transfer mere mankind from a humble physical existence of mortal humans into eternal spiritual members of the Family of God who will be a very members of the Household of God with God Almighty as their Father and Jesus Christ as their Elder Brother and live forever.

In the past, true Christians were martyred for insisting on keeping the 14th Passover and shunning the pagan-based celebration of Easter. A study of Christian church history will show that my words are true and that early church leaders had a controversy that was recorded for us to review today. Read about Polycarp and Polycrates and their defense of God's True Days of worship versus this pagan-based worship system that modern Christianity embraces today.

I hope this post will wake some of you up as God has caused me to be awakened and to see His Truth despite being surrounded by all the pagan error we see today.

I mean no malicious attack against anyone and their beliefs but hope my words will arouse a study of the matter and not cause anger or hatred to be directed at anyone who has different beliefs.

Thank you,

tthttf -- Turn the Hearts to the Father(s)

PS:

And I am not proselytizing. I am not a member of any group or church. The words above are my own and not those of someone who is out to get your money or support.

I don't know what you are a member of. I'm so tired of this "pagan' stuff.

I call it "EASTER". I don't care that the name or the eggs or bunnies have pagan roots.

This is what most Christians call the most holy day of the Christian calender.

Resurrection Sunday? Oh PLEASE!

Old 04-13-2014, 08:42 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,034,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
The Jehovah's Witness church agrees with you about not celebrating Easter and Christmas. Just FYI.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 PM

951 posts, read 1,055,749 times
I observe the Christian Passover (bread and wine) on the evening of the 14th (did so this very evening about 4 hours ago).

I will finish putting away the leaven before tomorrow evening because at sunset begins the 1st Day of Unleavened Bread.

I like the following statement by Polycrates who was also a "fourteenther":

Polycrates emphatically stated that he was following the tradition passed down to him:

"We observe the exact day; neither adding, nor taking away. For in Asia also great lights have fallen asleep, which shall rise again on the day of the Lord's coming ... All these observed the fourteenth day of the passover according to the Gospel, deviating in no respect, but following the rule of faith. And I also, Polycrates, the least of you all, do according to the tradition of my relatives, some of whom I have closely followed. For seven of my relatives were bishops; and I am the eighth. And my relatives always observed the day when the people put away the leaven."

Quartodecimanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notice that he stated that these great lights that preceded him also observed the 14th day.

Irenaeus noted that Polycarp followed the apostle John who was also a fourteenther.

"Neither could Anicetus persuade Polycarp not to observe what he had always observed with John the disciple of our Lord, and the other apostles with whom he had associated; neither could Polycarp persuade Anicetus to observe it, as he said that he ought to follow the customs of the presbyters that had preceded him."

Quartodecimanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity