Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 12:07 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Well, Mystic. You've just illustrated why I think dogmatism does one thing very well: it alienates people. It puts people off from wanting to learn more.
Thankfully I read the mystics long before the internet was invented. Were I to discover the name of a Catholic mystic in the middle of many dogmatic, self-congratulatory declarations about the Catholic Church I'd have had no desire to find out anything about them.
Especially if those declarations were, as you have discerned, in support of a much-tarnished institution that is only beginning to find its way out of a very dark period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
This tiem I got to rep you!^ Some of those mystics and especially the ones Julian mentioned have some outstanding insights, even if they are sometimes filtered by their cultural heritage.
As you might suspect . . . I am more than familiar with Christian (and Catholic) mystics.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As you might suspect . . . I am more than familiar with Christian (and Catholic) mystics.
It's beyond strange to me that a Catholic would take a swipe at you. Mysticism is a part of the history of the Church.

Maybe they're upset you've invaded their territory while declining to join up.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
It's beyond strange to me that a Catholic would take a swipe at you. Mysticism is a part of the history of the Church.
I suspect it is my disdain and lack of respect for the corrupt hierarchy and anti-Christ wealth and public pomposity. They have their reward . . . as Jesus would say.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:55 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:

There is no intention to take a swipe. I am just providing information.

Dr. Peter Kreeft a professor of philosophy converted after visiting Saint Patrick's Cathedral and reading Saint John of the Cross.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:56 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
I suspect it is my disdain and lack of respect for the corrupt hierarchy and anti-Christ wealth and public pomposity. They have their reward . . . as Jesus would say.
You are stuck, but i think you will see the light in a couple of years.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:23 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
So what are you predicting will happen "in a couple of years"?

Old 04-25-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I am aware of the impact of Catholicism on the spiritual lives of its largely innocent members, Julian. I have said . . . God can draw straight lines even with a crooked stick. That does not make me accept the crooked stick as straight or of God.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
There is no intention to take a swipe. I am just providing information.
That post wasn't meant to be poster-specific. Thus my use of "a Catholic" instead of a user name. It's also wasn't meant to pertain to this thread only. It was made in light of the recent up-tick in swipes made against non-traditional believers. My apologies for any confusion.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-25-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 02:12 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Not all catholics are the same. However, someone like you could flourish in Catholicism because you would be free to remain an intellectual within the mysticism of the church.

You think that a Catholic apologist is similar to a Sola Scriptura apologist, but that is something you perceive within a debate in the forum. In the background things are much more philosophical. As Catholics we do not want to leave behind out tradition because MAN without tradition is nothing.

Lemaitre reconciled his pioneering vies of the expansion of the universe with his Catholic tradition. This can be done quite easily, but you are not there yet.

That something is illogical in religion is no big deal because within the context of religion that is the way it is supposed to be. That does not mean you accept superstition like the Sola Scriptura people do.

In the end Catholicism become a vehicle to enhance your human condition. Trying to do this journey alone is not as much fun for you.
Julian, as always you are a credit to your religion. For you, the RCC is a vehicle of love, harmony and of Christ Jesus. Your genuineness is just a beautiful thing.

Mystic and I are the same in many ways. The age old debate between the infallible Bible and the infallible Pope/Church is front and center in Christianity, and we are not on either side. We reject both to one degree or another. My advice to Mystic would not be to join my religion or yours or any other. My advice would be for him to pray to God to know if he should join a religion. Would it enhance his relationship with God? Only God can answer that question. For my part, I have found that belonging to and associating with a church is a good thing. Strength in numbers and shared spiritual strength, etc. I have found my religion through that same approach -- and it is not the Roman Catholic Church. If God's answer to Mystic is, "Why yes, you should unite yourself with a religion." -- and that's a pretty big "if" -- then one does not simply jump to joining up with the Roman Catholic Church as the next logical step. Once God has told you that you should be part of a religion, your next step is to ask the obvious question, "Okay Lord, which one?" I'm very curious Julian, have you ever asked God that very question and left yourself open to the possibility that God would lead you somewhere other than Catholicism?

There is a lot of good in the RCC, but there's also a lot of bad. I don't think the RCC encourages their members to be lazy in their personal relationship with Christ, but far too many Catholics that I have know tend to do so. Insofar as any religion brings you closer to Christ, it is a good thing. Insofar as it does not or even moves you further from Christ, it's a bad thing. Can you say for certain that the RCC would bring Mystic closer to Christ?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:17 PM

555 posts, read 456,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Julian, as always you are a credit to your religion. For you, the RCC is a vehicle of love, harmony and of Christ Jesus. Your genuineness is just a beautiful thing.

Mystic and I are the same in many ways. The age old debate between the infallible Bible and the infallible Pope/Church is front and center in Christianity, and we are not on either side. We reject both to one degree or another. My advice to Mystic would not be to join my religion or yours or any other. My advice would be for him to pray to God to know if he should join a religion. Would it enhance his relationship with God? Only God can answer that question. For my part, I have found that belonging to and associating with a church is a good thing. Strength in numbers and shared spiritual strength, etc. I have found my religion through that same approach -- and it is not the Roman Catholic Church. If God's answer to Mystic is, "Why yes, you should unite yourself with a religion." -- and that's a pretty big "if" -- then one does not simply jump to joining up with the Roman Catholic Church as the next logical step. Once God has told you that you should be part of a religion, your next step is to ask the obvious question, "Okay Lord, which one?" I'm very curious Julian, have you ever asked God that very question and left yourself open to the possibility that God would lead you somewhere other than Catholicism?

There is a lot of good in the RCC, but there's also a lot of bad. I don't think the RCC encourages their members to be lazy in their personal relationship with Christ, but far too many Catholics that I have know tend to do so. Insofar as any religion brings you closer to Christ, it is a good thing. Insofar as it does not or even moves you further from Christ, it's a bad thing. Can you say for certain that the RCC would bring Mystic closer to Christ?
I share much of your criticism or critique of the experience of many Catholics, but I would answer your last question this way: Yes, because Jesus established the Sacraments as true means of receiving grace.

Can Mystic get along without them? POSSIBLY. But I don't think going it alone is what God had in mind when He established the Church and the sacraments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.