Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Nothing in the Torah prohibits a person from pronouncing the Name of God. Indeed, it is evident from scripture that God's Name was pronounced routinely. Many common Hebrew names contain "Yah" or "Yahu," part of God's four-letter Name. The Name was pronounced as part of daily services in the Temple.

The Mishnah confirms that there was no prohibition against pronouncing The Name in ancient times. In fact, the Mishnah recommends using God's Name as a routine greeting to a fellow Jew. Berakhot 9:5. However, by the time of the Talmud, it was the custom to use substitute Names for God. Some rabbis asserted that a person who pronounces YHVH according to its letters (instead of using a substitute) has no place in the World to Come, and should be put to death. Instead of pronouncing the four-letter Name, we usually substitute the Name "Adonai," or simply say "Ha-Shem" (lit. The Name). [/indent]
Try again:

http://halakhah.com/yerushalmi_berak...ahavy_2010.pdf

9:5 Blessings to recite for good and bad events. Proper behavior at
the Temple Mount. The rabbis ordained the invocation of God’s name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
As for me, I shall call upon Elohim and YHVH, will save me” (Psalm 55:16)
Is

Quote:
As for me, I will call upon God; and the LORD shall save me.

Your version is listed only in Darby and nowhere else.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:39 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,242,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
If you want to keep denying The Creator of the Universe had a Name in the OT, I cannot stop you. However, God clearly says He has a Name in the OT and we are to announce it, proclaim it and USE IT. We are NOT to change it, distort it or bring it to nothing. Ex. 20:7

It's obvious to me that you also don't understand what it means to 'call upon the Name of the Lord.'
As for me, I shall call upon Elohim and YHVH, will save me” (Psalm 55:16)
Pronouncing YHVH: Calling on the Name of the Lord | Sid Roth - It's Supernatural
I was recently given a wonderful gift of a Bible in English and Hebrew on facing pages. I know just enough Hebrew to have found more places than I am comfortable with where the English seems to be saying something the Hebrew does not. The most significant is the use of YHVH, which in English is translated as LORD, in all capital letters. In Hebrew it never says LORD at all, only YHVH. In another translation, the name of God follows the Jewish tradition, out of fear of violating the sacred name of God, and never even uses the four letters indicating God’s name, but always refers to YHVH as HaShem, which means The Name. Religious Jews never speak the name of God or even use the letters, but say The Name or HaShem instead. (Ha means the in Hebrew.) The only person through the generations who supposedly knew how to say His name was the Kohen Gadol, the High Priest, who would utter it ten times on only one day of the year on Yom Kippur. When Orthodox Jews write the word “God” in English, for the same reason of fear of breaking the third commandment and violating The Name, it is written as G-d. In my Hebrew-English Bible, in one instance, the English says, “Call on the name of the LORD” but the Hebrew says “Call on the name of YHVH”. If it were to use The Name in place of YHVH as many Jews do, it would say, “Call on the name of The Name” which makes no sense whatsoever and leaves one wondering what name we should call upon. Surely He didn’t intend all this confusion.
the creator, in the OT did not have a PERSONAL NAME. but he did have a TITLE. if God had a Personal why did he say in Isaiah 52:6 "Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I. if God name was already known, why did God say in that day they shall, (future tense), Know his name. that tell me they did not know his personal name, but only knew his title, YHWH, which is not a PERSONAL NAME.

you said, "If you want to keep denying The Creator of the Universe had a Name in the OT, I cannot stop you". true, because I'm not denying his name. but the OT do not reveal his Personal Name, his title, yes.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:42 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,989,875 times
ETA: Nowhere in the Scriptures does it say God's Name is Jesus. IF we follow your line of thinking then we are to call Him by His Hebrew, not a Greek Name, and it would be Yeshua which is the Hebrew word for salvation.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:48 PM

Yeshua which is the Hebrew word for salvation, which means God saves, JESUS.
Matthew 1:21 "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins". it's crystal clear.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
Yeshua which is the Hebrew word for salvation, which means God saves, JESUS.
Matthew 1:21 "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins". it's crystal clear.
Yeshua is Savior.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:14 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,148,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
FWIW you are mixing salutations with names. None of what you listed are names. Jehova was an attempt by certain Christians to give g-d a name. They took this, tetragrammaton יהוה Yhvh, and created the name from it. The word I underlined is read from right to left. The first letter is a Y, the second letter is a H, the third letter is silent as it is used as a vowel and the fourth letter is a H again. Translated, it is as I listed early.

Also Allah is not a name either. Its a salutuation that comes from Aramaic and is a contraction of two words which are Al Ilah which means the diety.
God has a name YHVH or (YHWH) and the use of Jehovah has been the English translation of his name with the below representing just a few reasons why Jehovah is used as God's name by some.

While the exact pronunciation is debatable that would also apply to other Bible names. For example, Jesus is the commonly accepted pronunciation by English speaking Christians even-though the exact pronunciation is unknown.

Strong's commentary on the Bible provides some guidance on the pronunciation of the Y sound from names that have God's name usually shortened to Yeho or Yah embedded in the name

When used as a suffix in a name the Y sound is yah or yahu. So we have Yirmayh (Jeremiah),Eliyah (Elijah), Adoniyah (Adonijah)

If used as a prefix in a name the Y sound is yeh or yo such as Yehonathan (Jonathan), Yehoshua (Joshua)

The H (second from right, Hebrew is read from right to left) is followed by a vowel sound such as o

The W is pronounced waw though in the modern Hebrew it can also be vav

Finally the H (at the end of the word) is silent

Thus it is reasonable to arrive at the pronunciation as Yehowah or Jehovah in English

Of interest is the Leningrad Codex (the oldest complete Hebrew Bible thought to have been written around 1010 C.E). The Masoretes developed a system for marking the vowels and the earliest manuscripts have YHVH written as YeHVaH

Thus Jehovah is more than an attempt by certain Christians to give God a name. There is a rationale basis on how that name was arrived at by "certain Christians."

Old 05-23-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Yeshua is Savior.
GINOLJC, to all
Thank you Pruzhany, I'm glad to hear that. Yes, Yeshua is Savior, and the only savior, who is God. supportive scripture, Isaiah 43:11 "I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour. this is God "Almighty" speaking. most people who say this is, “YHWH”, or YHVH”. the LORD. all caps. that's right and God is Yeshua in Flesh and bones. so God is saying that he is the only saviour. now this scripture, Luke 2:11 "For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. now we have a “Saviour”, born. and this is what I like about the KJV, notice the “S” in Saviour?. it’s capitalized.... Oh well, anyway, if Jesus is not God, the Share, the "elohiym", then we have a problem. problem #1. if the Lord Jesus is not God, then God lied in Isaiah 43:11, (God forbid). because God said there is no saviour other than himself. (and that eliminates the trinity second person). for if the Lord Jesus is a separate second person, then he is no Saviour. Problem #2. if the Lord Jesus is the Saviour, and is God, then the Lord Jesus is God Almighty. (and that eliminates the Shaliach theory, as a separate human person). no he is the G243 allos of God. the SAME God only Shared. am I saying that it is two God then?. NO, only one, and he is "shared", in flesh. see phil 2:6.

Hands down, the Lord Jesus is God shared in Flesh. some say I push "diversity". NO, God do. it's in the bible plain as day. but one must seek it, and one will find "HIM", the one and only true God.

amen.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
God has a name YHVH or (YHWH) and the use of Jehovah has been the English translation of his name with the below representing just a few reasons why Jehovah is used as God's name by some.
YHVH, or (YHWH), is a title, a common name. and not a personal name. titles are not PERSONAL NAMES.

Quote:
While the exact pronunciation is debatable that would also apply to other Bible names. For example, Jesus is the commonly accepted pronunciation by English speaking Christians even-though the exact pronunciation is unknown.
the reason for the debate is it is not a name, vowels was "ADDED", to a title to make a name. it a made up name. if one would google the name of God. it's an endless list. see, it is called the The art of ineffability, one can thank the bablyionans for that trick. look up what the The art of ineffability means.

Quote:
Strong's commentary on the Bible provides some guidance on the pronunciation of the Y sound from names that have God's name usually shortened to Yeho or Yah embedded in the name

When used as a suffix in a name the Y sound is yah or yahu. So we have Yirmayh (Jeremiah),Eliyah (Elijah), Adoniyah (Adonijah)

If used as a prefix in a name the Y sound is yeh or yo such as Yehonathan (Jonathan), Yehoshua (Joshua)

The H (second from right, Hebrew is read from right to left) is followed by a vowel sound such as o

The W is pronounced waw though in the modern Hebrew it can also be vav

Finally the H (at the end of the word) is silent

Thus it is reasonable to arrive at the pronunciation as Yehowah or Jehovah in English

Of interest is the Leningrad Codex (the oldest complete Hebrew Bible thought to have been written around 1010 C.E). The Masoretes developed a system for marking the vowels and the earliest manuscripts have YHVH written as YeHVaH

Thus Jehovah is more than an attempt by certain Christians to give God a name. There is a rationale basis on how that name was arrived at by "certain Christians."
sorry, the name Jehovah, aka Yahweh, vowels was ADDED, added, added, to make up the name. those name are guessed at names, as to what the name should. but here's the problem. the
tetragrammaton is a TITLE, and not a name. see, they are chasing, and worshiping a man made title.

The word "JEHOVAH" was formed by merging the three vowels (e, o, and a) into the Romanized (Latinized) four letter version JHVH to get,. JeHoVaH. and the word "YAHWEH" was formed by merging the vowels (a, and e), into the four letter version YHWH (to get, YaHWeH). these name are "formed", made up. That was a more recent invention. so we have the English, and the Hebrew form of God's supposed unpronounced name. here is the mistake. they, (the translator), added vowels to the four letter consonant, to make up a name to pronounce. because the, suppose name was lost, and was forbidden to pronounce. sorry, the bablyionans gave the returning Jews from exile the art of ineffability concerning the name/title. and even today, people are still guessing. and God told them, in that "day", I AM JESUS. boy that bablyonian art of ineffability still works. come out of BABLYION.

amen.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
.... because the, suppose name was lost, and was forbidden to pronounce. sorry, the bablyionans gave the returning Jews from exile the art of ineffability concerning the name/title. and even today, people are still guessing. and God told them, in that "day", I AM JESUS. boy that bablyonian art of ineffability still works. come out of BABLYION.

amen.
It doesn't matter what vowels are missing in Hebrew. Using ANY variation of vowels in Hebrew will only change the tense of the word. So "I am who I am" is what it translates as.

If we take religion completely out of the picture for a moment. When we speak to a parent we regard them as mom, dad, mother , father and rarely ever call them by their first name. We may see their first name on papers and visually state it but we rarely utter it. Thus why is so hard to comprehend for many to treat g-d with the same respect and regard him with a salutation also? Extend that same respect to JC and again the same rules should follow. If not we are raising ourselves to the same level by formally addressing them by their first names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity