Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 08:05 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I have engaged you in the same fashion you have engaged homosexuality. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Why is it that "conservative" Christians always feel they are the brunt of "personal" attacks when their values are questioned?

Guess what? I don't think you are a Christian at all, and I'm pretty sure you don't think I am. I know for certain none of the mods are--CD is smart enough not to put Christians in charge of the Christian forum. Because someone doesn't think you are a Christian depends on what kind of Christianity you uphold. You uphold a judgmental one. I uphold one of love and mercy. In my faith, you are not a Christian.

If you continue to spout prejudice toward a certain group of people, I will continue to point out the hypocrisy of what you write compared to how Jesus acted and taught.
I want to go off-topic for just one post to address something I think is important. In the post above, Wardendresden says: " I know for certain none of the mods are--CD is smart enough not to put Christians in charge of the Christian forum." When I was asked to become a Moderator, nobody asked about my religion. As anybody can read, it is known that Miss Blue is a believer, and she Moderated this forum quite fairly. Everybody knows that Woodrow LI is a Muslim. June 7th has said she is not a believer, yet she has Moderated here without bias. Nobody knows what I believe because I'm not saying. I'll quote The Holy Bible or the American Atheist web site as it suits my purposes, and I sometimes reflect opinions my 3 distinctly different kinds of atheist friends exhibit. Sometimes my strong belief in the American Constitution comes across as un-Christian, but that is not my intent.

I apologize for interrupting this thread, but I wanted to address any misunderstandings about your Moderators. None of us let religious viewpoints effect how we Moderate. Now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion. Please DM a Mod if you want to discuss this further.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:08 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
Quote:
So why don't you turn away from your lust for power and control, reject those teachers who have been teaching a false Jesus, and turn to the real God of love and mercy?
Sorry, I have no idea what you're thinking of.
Here is my post:
Originally Posted by Snowball7
2 Timothy 4:3-4: For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

"their ears itch, and they must have those that will scratch them. The disease of lust in their souls brings forth an itch in their ears, that they will have a mind to hear only such as will by scratching please them."
(Matthew Poole)

I just don't see the connection between my post and your assessment of my
spiritual condition.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Personal attack # ( I've lost count)... I am attacking an institution not individuals. Like maybe some on here are not seeing the forest for the trees?
You are hypocritical. Homosexuality is not an institution. Even your ilk claim it is "behavioral," despite science showing their appears to be some genetic links in addition to environmental factors. Why don't you ask the homosexuals that post on here whether they think you are attacking an institution or them? I attack the institution of fundamentalism along with the thoughts of individuals entangled in that sad web of lies.

Once again, the right wing politicos have shaped your thoughts (I suppose because they are easily shaped) to believe YOU are the object of personal attacks. It's the attempt of the politicos to give rise to fear (fear appears to shape fundamentalists) in order to gain votes because they are going to "protect" you from the attacks.

In all but one case I've seen on the Christian thread, the people who claim to be the objects of attack are fundamentalists. I guess it's just in your DNA, therefore I excuse it.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 10-23-2014 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 10-23-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Sorry, I have no idea what you're thinking of.
Here is my post:
Originally Posted by Snowball7
2 Timothy 4:3-4: For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

"their ears itch, and they must have those that will scratch them. The disease of lust in their souls brings forth an itch in their ears, that they will have a mind to hear only such as will by scratching please them."
(Matthew Poole)

I just don't see the connection between my post and your assessment of my
spiritual condition.
Get this, your lust to dominate the lives of other people from cradle to grave, telling them whether or not they can use contraception--and what kind of contraception, the desire to control the bodies of women with regard to abortion, the desire to control who people can marry, the desire to tell people when they can die, how they can die despite their physical agonies--is the lust of power!! It is in the most intimate acts between individuals, the ones that should be most sacred and glorious, that you wish to interfere. You have heaped to yourself teachers, both political and religious, who fuel that desire. You have turned away from the example of Jesus--loving and forgiving the worst of sinners--to turn the Truth of Jesus into a fable about a book.

The verses were written for YOU!

Quote:

“With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion.”
Nobel laureate Steve Wineberg

Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
no, Wardendresden, that's not the kind of "lust" being spoken of at all.
Lust for power is pride, avarice., or envy... Lust (the noun lust) is a
mortal sin all of it's own.. a slavery to the flesh.
please no more responses, I'll never respect your opinion.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,497,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned
Quote:
You should take him at his word. God whispered in his ear and told him what to write. If that happens no matter how much evidence to the contrary arises--you believe it.
Thanks for proving the obvious biases despise the purer than the wind driven snow claims

Quote:

(1) You are hypocritical. Homosexuality is not an institution.

(2) Even your ilk claim it is "behavioral," despite science showing their appears to be some genetic links in addition to environmental factors. Why don't you ask the homosexuals that post on here whether they think you are attacking an institution or them?

(3) I attack the institution of fundamentalism along with the thoughts of individuals entangled in that sad web of lies.

(4) Once again, the right wing politicos have shaped your thoughts (I suppose because they are easily shaped) to believe YOU are the object of personal attacks. It's the attempt of the politicos to give rise to fear (fear appears to shape fundamentalists) in order to gain votes because they are going to "protect" you from the attacks.

(5) In all but one case I've seen on the Christian thread, the people who claim to be the objects of attack are fundamentalists. I guess it's just in your DNA, therefore I excuse it.
Quote:

(6) Get this, your lust to dominate the lives of other people from cradle to grave, telling them whether or not they can use contraception--and what kind of contraception, the desire to control the bodies of women with regard to abortion, the desire to control who people can marry, the desire to tell people when they can die, how they can die despite their physical agonies--is the lust of power!! It is in the most intimate acts between individuals, the ones that should be most sacred and glorious, that you wish to interfere.

(7)You have heaped to yourself teachers, both political and religious, who fuel that desire.

(8) You have turned away from the example of Jesus--loving and forgiving the worst of sinners--to turn the Truth of Jesus into a fable about a book.

The verses were written for YOU!
Nobel laureate Steve Wineberg

Old 10-23-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Thanks for proving the obvious biases despise the purer than the wind driven snow claims

Oh, I'm not biased. I believe exactly as you do. God hates sinners--chief among them those who go to His house to justify themselves in hating others.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:01 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Having recently watched a federal judge overthrow the will of the people in my state who voted to ban same-sex marriage I feel we are in perilous times.

A single act of homosexuality is considered an abomination in God's Word the Bible. Therefore marriage between two homosexuals is off the moral scale as far as abominations go. I think we all need to wake up before our nation is destroyed for this and all the rest of our horrible sins.

There is NO double standard with God.

Here is a scripture from the both King James Version and the Easy-to-Read Version of the Bible:

Leviticus 20:13

KJV:
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

ERV:
“If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

The US Government is promoting sin and eventually we are all going to have to pay a heavy price.
Well, you lost this one. Your religious beliefs shouldn't be forced onto those who don't share them and used to withhold rights. You're free to believe the sky is falling, god's about to destroy us all, gays are satan on earth, whatever. What is "sin" is a matter of opinion. You use religion to justify your hatred of gay people. Very sad, but don't worry. You're still free to hate

Old 10-23-2014, 02:19 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Wait, if they area against abortion and birth control, why are they against gays? Gays don't get abortions, and don't use birth control (well maybe condoms, but not the pill).
Plus many gay couples adopt the unwanted babies born to heterosexual drug addicts

Old 10-23-2014, 02:47 PM

The real problem with fundamentalist Christianity is that they are losing the younger generation--and have been for almost a decade. The membership numbers of fundamentalist churches continue to decline. And a study done seven years ago indicates that it is their very moralistic view of scripture that accounts for disenchantment.

Quote:
A new book based on research by the California-based research firm The Barna Group found that church attitudes about people in general and gays in particular are driving a negative image of the Christian faith among people ages 16-29.

"The Christian community's ability to take the high road and help to deal with some of the challenges that this (anti-gay) perception represents may be the ... defining response of the Christian church in the next decade," said David Kinnaman, Barna Group president and author of the book,
UnChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks About Christianity.

"The anti-homosexual perception has now become sort of the Geiger counter of Christians' ability to love and work with people." The findings were based on surveys of a sample of 867 young people. From that total, researchers reported responses from 440 non-Christians and 305 active churchgoers.

The vast majority of non-Christians — 91% — said Christianity had an anti-gay image, followed by 87% who said it was judgmental and 85% who said it was hypocritical.

Such views were held by smaller percentages of the active churchgoers, but the faith still did not fare well: 80% agreed with the anti-gay label, 52% said Christianity is judgmental, and 47% declared it hypocritical.

Kinnaman said one of the biggest surprises for researchers was the extent to which respondents — one in four non-Christians — said that modern-day Christianity was no longer like Jesus.
Study: Youth see Christians as judgmental, anti-gay - USATODAY.com

It's sad to see people who otherwise might be a positive influence on the population instead use their faith to drive people away from God, to ensure that the youth of today are disgusted by faith in Christ because they think it is represented by people who have never known Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity