Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 06:13 AM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Once again you show your ignorance of the Bible. The OT was written in Hebrew, so who better than JEWS to know and understand the Torah? Here is a Rabbi on the meaning of Sodom and Gomorrah--

Rabbi Yuval Cherlow, Rosh Yeshiva of Yeshivat Hesder Petach Tikva, is a graduate of Yeshivat Har Etzion and a retired major in the IDF
The Sin of Sodom and its Impact on Creation - My Jewish Learning

How about believing your own Bible that you say you read, but obviously not very well.

Ezekiel 16:49

Or this Bible verse who blames Sodom and Gomorrah for ADULTERY:

Jeremiah 23:14

How about the earliest historian who wrote about the times of the Jews preceding and after Jesus--

Josephus, Antiquities I: 194-5

Because I know you will probably misunderstand the word "intercourse" in the passage above from a biblical standpoint let me give you a hint---it has NOTHING to do with sexual relations!!

Other early Jewish writers--

Babylonian Talmud, Sanhedrin 109a

Still another Jewish Rabbi--

Nachmanides commenting on the verse "AND WE SHALL KNOW THEM".

Rabbi Moses ben Naḥman Girondi, Bonastruc ça (de) Porta known by his acronym Ramban (1194 – 1270), was a leading medieval Jewish scholar, Catalan, Sephardi rabbi, philosopher, physician, kabbalist, and biblical commentator

The popular doctrine is that God destroyed Sodom because of homosexuals. If you take the time to explore the Scriptures, you will find that this just isn’t true. When you hold true to Biblical interpretation by using Scripture to interpret Scripture, even Jude verse 7 is not talking about homosexual sex, but rather the practice of humiliating outsiders by “putting them in their place.”

So basically you know NOTHING about the Bible. You have no idea that the real perversion of in the Sodom and Gomorrah story was late medieval Christian perversion---for the purpose of hating homosexuals. You and Jeff need to take some real Bible classes instead of listening to ignorant Sunday School teachers. You twist scripture, you don't understand the culture or time, you use scripture to hurt people rather than help them.

Hey, Jeff--I didn't use the story of the woman caught in adultery. I used the Sodom and Gomorrah story to show bigotry of medieval Christians and the fact that you and tthttf appear to be quite gullible on scriptural matters. And the quotes I gave, the interpretations provided aren't from some liberal twentieth or twenty-first century guy--they are all over a thousand years old!!!

Using scripture in an improper fashion from ignorance is one thing. The next time either of you use it improperly, you will be answering to God for that immoral practice.
How convenient that you failed to mention Jude 1:7 which specifically says sexual immorality and perversion occurred in Sodom.

"In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire".

Jude 1:7

Old 10-25-2014, 06:53 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Homosexuality invades the spiritual heartland of America

<snip>
There was no need to start another thread to talk about gays and their new marriage rights.

We already have threads open to discuss this:

This one was started by the same poster.

If a single act of homosexuality is abomination in God's eyes then same-sex marriage must be evil to the infinite power

This one was entirely unnecessary. If we had spotted it quickly enough, we would have merged it into an existing thread.
Homosexuality is a SIN...accept it, get over it and REPENT!

This is older and has the most posts:
Explain validity of homosexual behavior

and then we have this:
This is what gay marriage will do to us----this

not to mention the threads about divorce, polygamy, biblical definition of marriage, the Pope's statements about gays, etc., etc.

This thread will be merged into the first one linked above, since they were both started by the same poster.

With four threads open on the topic of gay marriage, just on the first page of the forum listing, we don't need any more. Please post in an existing forum thread or use the search function to find the information you need.

Last edited by mensaguy; 10-25-2014 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: Using red for Moderation comments.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:04 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
I swear, you people think about homosexuals more than I do, and I'm a homosexual.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:50 AM

951 posts, read 1,053,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
How convenient that you failed to mention Jude 1:7 which specifically says sexual immorality and perversion occurred in Sodom.

"In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire".

Jude 1:7
You beat me to it Jeff.

Thanks

Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I swear, you people think about homosexuals more than I do, and I'm a homosexual.
Nominated for post of the day!

Old 10-25-2014, 08:50 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
You beat me to it Jeff.

Thanks
tthttf, why do christians like you avoid answering questions?

I've asked this of you a couple of times now.

Does all of Leviticus apply to the 21st century? Why or why not?

Old 10-25-2014, 09:41 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
tthttf, why do christians like you avoid answering questions?

I've asked this of you a couple of times now.

Does all of Leviticus apply to the 21st century? Why or why not?
Yes all of Leviticus applies to the 21st century.

Why? Because of Jesus.

2 Corinthians 5:21
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
That is why people who refuse to listen to Jesus' message of repentance are forfeiting the righteousness of God and will then be sent to their just condemnation in hell as Jesus said John 3:36.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:54 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,980,515 times
One thing to remember, Christians are not using the same rule book as America or the world. John 15:19

We also have to remember many things in the Bible is considered as an abomination. Our prayers can even be an abomination. Proverbs 21:13 Do a word search sometimes and you will see.

This is why the bible tells Christians to study to show thyself approved. 2 Timothy 2:16

Old 10-25-2014, 10:38 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,585,178 times
Quote:
In accusing me of just stating the usual about homosexuality and not condemning this nation for other sins, please do a search on my posts and you will see what else I think the USA is doing wrong.

Adultery is a capital crime in God's eyes But marriage between a man and woman who are free to marry is acceptable.

Now other forms of sexual perversions in the Bible are condemned such as sex with animals but nowhere does it say that one can marry an animal which would be in the same category of multiplying sin to the infinite power.

This nation is not under good leadership at the moment. We need to all pray for a swift and complete change and get us back on the right course about marriage and put away this acceptance of homosexuality or else this is the beginning of "THE END".

tthttf (Turn the Hearts to the Father(s))
You are very confused TO SAY THE LEAST. The USA is not "THE CHURCH" in any way shape or form. Do you realize that your obsession with the "Nation" is a secular pursuit in the first degree? Now, a kingdom pursuit is not concerned with nations but with individual people. The way to deal with that and it's the only way proscribed for us by God's word is to, preach the gospel to the lost and to live our own lives as Godly examples to them. All of your condemnations will never save a single soul and in fact can only bring the bible and the glorious gospel of our Lord Jesus into disrepute.

Never ever forget that the man called by God as "a man after my own heart" the man who was a great prophet of God, a great King of Israel and a forefather of Jesus was guilty of both Adultery and murder. Your statement regarding Adultery is just plain incorrect. As Jesus said regarding adultery, "Let those who are without sin, cast the first stone". You cast a lot of stones; you must be more perfect than Christ who declined to do so.

Those who are focused on the sins of others are usually very weak in the understanding of "the doctrine of sin" as taught all through the bible. In terms of eternity or the relationship between man and God it does not make an iota of difference if you are gay or not, a thief or not or any other sin that one commits or not, you are still under God's judgement. The cleaning up of one's life to any degree will make no difference in God's eyes. It's only the understanding that we are lost and without any hope at all, believing that God has made a provision for us and trusting totally in that provision that gives us our hope and blessed assurance. Yes, Jesus died to pay the debt I owed to God because of my sin. The belief and trust in this is the only thing that can bring me peace with God. I'm a sinner just like all of the sons and daughters of Adam. The only difference between them and myself is that I am a sinner who has been given Grace and forgiveness.

Never forget that it says in the bible, "Love covers a multitude of sins". You reject and condemn the homosexual and most likely other sinners as well. Leave that job to who it rightly belongs, the accuser. Yes, that's Satan's job and he surely does not need your help in it but I'm sure it pleases him that you willingly assist him in his work.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:47 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You are very confused TO SAY THE LEAST. The USA is not "THE CHURCH" in any way shape or form. Do you realize that your obsession with the "Nation" is a secular pursuit in the first degree? Now, a kingdom pursuit is not concerned with nations but with individual people. The way to deal with that and it's the only way proscribed for us by God's word is to, preach the gospel to the lost and to live our own lives as Godly examples to them. All of your condemnations will never save a single soul and in fact can only bring the bible and the glorious gospel of our Lord Jesus into disrepute.

Never ever forget that the man called by God as "a man after my own heart" the man who was a great prophet of God, a great King of Israel and a forefather of Jesus was guilty of both Adultery and murder. Your statement regarding Adultery is just plain incorrect. As Jesus said regarding adultery, "Let those who are without sin, cast the first stone". You cast a lot of stones; you must be more perfect than Christ who declined to do so.

Those who are focused on the sins of others are usually very weak in the understanding of "the doctrine of sin" as taught all through the bible. In terms of eternity or the relationship between man and God it does not make an iota of difference if you are gay or not, a thief or not or any other sin that one commits or not, you are still under God's judgement. The cleaning up of one's life to any degree will make no difference in God's eyes. It's only the understanding that we are lost and without any hope at all, believing that God has made a provision for us and trusting totally in that provision that gives us our hope and blessed assurance. Yes, Jesus died to pay the debt I owed to God because of my sin. The belief and trust in this is the only thing that can bring me peace with God. I'm a sinner just like all of the sons and daughters of Adam. The only difference between them and myself is that I am a sinner who has been given Grace and forgiveness.

Never forget that it says in the bible, "Love covers a multitude of sins". You reject and condemn the homosexual and most likely other sinners as well. Leave that job to who it rightly belongs, the accuser. Yes, that's Satan's job and he surely does not need your help in it but I'm sure it pleases him that you willingly assist him in his work.
Wait, so you're saying God loves us so much that it doesn't matter if we sin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity