Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,254,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Like I stated. We need to pray for God to intervene. Please reread what I stated.
I think it would also help to give money to groups like National Organization of Marriage. If I were you I would give until it hurts! The more you give the better chances they have of defeating these nasty gays. I bet your god would be happy with you if you gave them all that you have. You maybe broke down here, but you would help move gays back to second class citizens, and your god will save a special little place for you in heaven.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:33 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,254,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Does all of Leviticus apply to the 21st century? Why or why not?
No, just the parts he pics and chooses....

Old 10-24-2014, 11:37 PM

951 posts, read 1,053,781 times
So you support serial capital crimes in the form of a state mandated institution of homosexual unions being elevated to the level of god ordained marriage and just want to attack me for warning all the evils that will come because of this.

I say we need to all pray to stop this great evil and ask God to intervene. What I do to help the poor or what you do to help the poor has nothing to do with this subject.

We need to help a whole future generation get on the right track and have godly ordained marriages of one man and one woman and remove all this sexual perversion from our land which will require the intervention of Almighty God.

tthttf

Old 10-24-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I think it would also help to give money to groups like National Organization of Marriage. If I were you I would give until it hurts! The more you give the better chances they have of defeating these nasty gays. I bet your god would be happy with you if you gave them all that you have. You maybe broke down here, but you would help move gays back to second class citizens, and your god will save a special little place for you in heaven.
I don't want to get involved with politics.

Pray for God to intervene not only to stop all the sexual perversion but to stop the mouths of all of those who act as if there is no God.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:46 PM

23 posts, read 25,170 times
Quote:
So you support serial capital crimes in the form of a state mandated institution of homosexual unions being elevated to the level of god ordained marriage and just want to attack me for warning all the evils that will come because of this.
Not all marriages are 'god ordained'. In purely legal terms marriage is a contract between two persons in which they have rights and responsibilities to each other. Period.

So, I'm wondering: Do you consider heterosexual marriage in a purely legal, secular context as bad as same-sex marriage? If the basis for marriage is 'god', then how is secular heterosexual marriage different from same-sex marriage?

Quote:
We need to help a whole future generation get on the right track and have godly ordained marriages of one man and one woman and remove all this sexual perversion from our land which will require the intervention of Almighty God.
Well, good luck with that, but since the vast multitude of the 'future generation' supports marriage equality, there won't be very many others praying. Prayer is a waste of mental energy, so pray away...

Old 10-24-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmasWoolyWomb View Post
Not all marriages are 'god ordained'. In purely legal terms marriage is a contract between two persons in which they have rights and responsibilities to each other. Period.

So, I'm wondering: Do you consider heterosexual marriage in a purely legal, secular context as bad as same-sex marriage? If the basis for marriage is 'god', then how is secular heterosexual marriage different from same-sex marriage?

Well, good luck with that, but since the vast multitude of the 'future generation' supports marriage equality, there won't be very many others praying. Prayer is a waste of mental energy, so pray away...
And you are going off topic and making statements that I have already explained to you.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:56 PM

23 posts, read 25,170 times
Quote:
And you are going off topic and making statements that I have already explained to you.
No, you haven't explained how, according to 'god', secular heterosexual marriage is any different than same-sex marriage. Neither is 'ordained by god', so if marriage isn't 'ordained by god' according to you, what difference does the composition of the couple make?

Old 10-25-2014, 12:03 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times
Quote:
You ignored my question.

Does all of Leviticus apply to the 21st century? Why or why not?

Old 10-25-2014, 03:18 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times
Quote:
I am using the term sodomites to mean male homosexuals and not being specific on their actual sexual practices.

Sodom was a ancient city destroyed by God because of sexual perversion and other sins.
Once again you show your ignorance of the Bible. The OT was written in Hebrew, so who better than JEWS to know and understand the Torah? Here is a Rabbi on the meaning of Sodom and Gomorrah--

Quote:

---what the Torah reveals to us gives us the following picture: the people of Sodom insisted on preserving their high quality of living to such an extent that they established a principle not to let the poor and homeless reside in their city. Consequently when a destitute person would come seeking help, they would revoke his right to any welfare--public or private! By doing this they figured they would preserve an elite upper class community who would monopolize the profits that the bountiful land offers without having to distribute any revenues to a "lower class" of people.

An opinion in the Mishnah in Avot 5:10 further strengthens this picture of moral depravity when it defines the Sodomite as one who says, "What's mine is mine and what's yours is yours." The Mishnah decries a man who wishes to remove himself from the social responsibility of welfare by closing himself and his wealth from others, even if he makes the claim that he is not taking away from anyone else.
Rabbi Yuval Cherlow, Rosh Yeshiva of Yeshivat Hesder Petach Tikva, is a graduate of Yeshivat Har Etzion and a retired major in the IDF
The Sin of Sodom and its Impact on Creation - My Jewish Learning

How about believing your own Bible that you say you read, but obviously not very well.
Quote:
This was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty and did abominable things before me; therefore I removed them when I saw it.
Ezekiel 16:49

Or this Bible verse who blames Sodom and Gomorrah for ADULTERY:
Quote:
I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing; they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness: they are all of them unto me as Sodom, and the inhabitants thereof as Gomorrah.
Jeremiah 23:14

How about the earliest historian who wrote about the times of the Jews preceding and after Jesus--

Quote:
the Sodomites, overweeningly proud of their numbers and the extent of their wealth, showed themselves insolent to men and impious to the Divinity, insomuch that they no more remembered the benefits that they had received from him, hated foreigners and declined all intercourse with others. Indignant at this conduct, God accordingly resolved to chastise them for their arrogance...
Josephus, Antiquities I: 194-5

Because I know you will probably misunderstand the word "intercourse" in the passage above from a biblical standpoint let me give you a hint---it has NOTHING to do with sexual relations!!

Other early Jewish writers--

Quote:
A certain maiden gave some bread to a poor man, hiding it in a pitcher. On the matter becoming known, they daubed her with honey and placed her on the parapet of the wall, and the bees came and consumed her. Thus it is written, And the Lord said, The cry of Sodom and Gomorrah, because it is great (rabbah): whereupon Rab Judah commented in Rab's name: on account of the maiden (ribah).
Babylonian Talmud, Sanhedrin 109a

Still another Jewish Rabbi--

Nachmanides commenting on the verse "AND WE SHALL KNOW THEM".

Quote:
Their intention was to stop people from coming among them, as our rabbis have said, for they thought that because of the excellence of their land... many will come there and they despised charity... they continued provoking and rebelling against Him with their ease and the oppression of the poor... In the opinion of our Rabbis, all evil practices were rampant among them. Yet their fate was sealed because of this sin - i.e. they did not strengthen the hand of the poor and needy - since this sin represented their usual behaviour more than any other. Besides, since all peoples act righteously towards their friends and their poor, there was none among all the nations who matched Sodom in cruelty.
Rabbi Moses ben Naḥman Girondi, Bonastruc ça (de) Porta known by his acronym Ramban (1194 – 1270), was a leading medieval Jewish scholar, Catalan, Sephardi rabbi, philosopher, physician, kabbalist, and biblical commentator

The popular doctrine is that God destroyed Sodom because of homosexuals. If you take the time to explore the Scriptures, you will find that this just isn’t true. When you hold true to Biblical interpretation by using Scripture to interpret Scripture, even Jude verse 7 is not talking about homosexual sex, but rather the practice of humiliating outsiders by “putting them in their place.”

So basically you know NOTHING about the Bible. You have no idea that the real perversion of in the Sodom and Gomorrah story was late medieval Christian perversion---for the purpose of hating homosexuals. You and Jeff need to take some real Bible classes instead of listening to ignorant Sunday School teachers. You twist scripture, you don't understand the culture or time, you use scripture to hurt people rather than help them.

Hey, Jeff--I didn't use the story of the woman caught in adultery. I used the Sodom and Gomorrah story to show bigotry of medieval Christians and the fact that you and tthttf appear to be quite gullible on scriptural matters. And the quotes I gave, the interpretations provided aren't from some liberal twentieth or twenty-first century guy--they are all over a thousand years old!!!

Using scripture in an improper fashion from ignorance is one thing. The next time either of you use it improperly, you will be answering to God for that immoral practice.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 10-25-2014 at 03:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity