Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 08:05 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Those folks are ignorant and no different than the barbarians that lived in the past. They are no different than the Isis people. Unfortunately, some people are still in a primitive barbaric stage.
The issue with this pastor and many of these extreme individuals is that they are not following enough of the Scripture, not too much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 08:07 AM

518 posts, read 469,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
You're right, Catholics are Christians as well, but I guess I was thinking more of the Christians that aren't Catholic. The ones that believe the Bible is always right. I am not sure which Christian denomination that would be.
Well not everyone will agree that Catholics are Christians but I understand what you are trying to say. I always find it funny when some falsely say the Roman church wrote the bible ( an outright lie ) and then attack people for trusting it.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:38 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
Well not everyone will agree that Catholics are Christians but I understand what you are trying to say. I always find it funny when some falsely say the Roman church wrote the bible ( an outright lie ) and then attack people for trusting it.
The Catholic Church did not write the Bible; however, the Church decided which books belonged to the canon of the NT. The books did not chooses themselves.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:49 AM

518 posts, read 469,886 times
Quote:
The Catholic Church did not write the Bible; however, the Church decided which books belonged to the canon of the NT. The books did not chooses themselves.
The books were accepted long before your church came to be. You are blindly following what your religion teaches and not thinking for yourself it seems.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:10 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I have noticed that there are some Christians who get every answer to every question from the Bible. If the Bible does not mention something then they can't answer the question. Why not think for yourself once in a while? Even if they might think otherwise, they will ignore their own thoughts because of what is in the Bible.

I watched a video the other day of the pastor who said that gay people should be killed. He was on some news show and the interviewer kept asking the pastor if the thinks all gays should be killed, and all the pastor could say is "well, in the bible..." He could not answer what he thinks, he can only answer what he thinks because of what is in the Bible. I find this very odd to say the least.

It seems like if the Bible said that grass is purple some of these people would say that grass must be purple while staring at a green lawn.

Am I wrong in my observations? If not, then why do certain people choose to sometimes even ignore their own thoughts and feelings and would rather listen to the Bible that was written by men with their own thoughts and feelings.

Please don't begin your answer with 'well, in the Bible..." or "the Bible tells us...". haha! Everything does not need to be answered with some Bible passage.
Yes. Some Christians do go over the top on stupid stuff like what that "pastor" was "preaching" on. The Bible does NOT tell us to stone gay people, or mistreat them in any way. Guys like that have no business preaching.

No...I don't claim the Bible is an end-all to all knowledge in the universe. But it is true. If someone says something that contradicts a claim in the bible, either they're wrong, or I'm misreading the Bible.

On the other hand, there are a lot of atheists that simply cannot handle the idea that there may be a supernatural explanation to some things.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
So is it your position that the Bible would not exist without the catholic church?

Old 12-13-2014, 09:54 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
I agree there are many Christians of the fundavangelist ilk who let their bible think for them. Many of them do so because they lack intelligence and/or education -- or commonly -- both.

Some do it because it allows them to "pull a Pontius Pilate" and wash their hands of their own bigotry. When confronted on their disgusting opinion of gays - they adopt a holier-than-thou expression and sadly inform all and sundry that hey, it's not up to them, they're just following their "good book."

They are cowards, morally adrift, and clinging to the ignorant flotsam left by primitive men.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I agree there are many Christians of the fundavangelist ilk who let their bible think for them. Many of them do so because they lack intelligence and/or education -- or commonly -- both.
Likewise, there are many that just kind of go along with societal thought and they don't bother to think for themselves. Perhaps they're too dumb to know better.
Quote:
Some do it because it allows them to "pull a Pontius Pilate" and wash their hands of their own bigotry. When confronted on their disgusting opinion of gays - they adopt a holier-than-thou expression and sadly inform all and sundry that hey, it's not up to them, they're just following their "good book."

They are cowards, morally adrift, and clinging to the ignorant flotsam left by primitive men.
There are also cowards that simply go along with the flow of societal thought because I think it allows them to "pull a Pontious Pilate" and wash their hands of their anti-religious bigotry. When confronted with their hateful and disgusting opinion of religious people they adopt a holier-than-thou expression and claim a moral superiority...when truth be told they can't be bothered to think for themselves. Or maybe they just like being rude and obnoxious.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:18 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Likewise, there are many that just kind of go along with societal thought and they don't bother to think for themselves. Perhaps they're too dumb to know better.

There are also cowards that simply go along with the flow of societal thought because I think it allows them to "pull a Pontious Pilate" and wash their hands of their anti-religious bigotry. When confronted with their hateful and disgusting opinion of religious people they adopt a holier-than-thou expression and claim a moral superiority...when truth be told they can't be bothered to think for themselves. Or maybe they just like being rude and obnoxious.
By virtually copying my post rather than thinking one up all by yourself -- you make my point for me.

Thank you.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
By virtually copying my post rather than thinking one up all by yourself -- you make my point for me.

Thank you.
The hypocrisy of your post? Yah, I think I illustrated that very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity