Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 05:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

Harvey Milk is not rolling in his grave with shock and disappointment. Harvey Milk did not clutch he pearls.
Harvey Milk, who was loathed by fundies while he was alive, would be stunned to learn he is now being used by fundamentalists. (That post wasn't the first time his name has been co-opted.)

They have no shame. They think he's burning in hell for being gay and Jewish but they're willing to use his name to moralize and preach. He saw fundamentalists abandoned their gay AIDS-ridden sons on their death beds. He knew they were telling those men they were going to burn in hell. He knew the Christian community bullied gays. He knew the Christian community worked hard to deny gays their rights. He knew fundamentalists wanted to discriminate against the LGBTQ community. He knew the truth. He knew the Christian community worked against everything he worked to achieve.

The truth is Harvey Milk was a proud, strong, intelligent gay man who wouldn't have been invited to dinner in the homes of the people who now want to use him to advance the fundamentalist agenda. They shed no tears when he was brutally murdered but they want to use him now to moralize and preach. Hypocrites.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-31-2015 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 06:15 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is nothing God requires of us that would allow or in any way demand the mistreatment and utter cruelty fundamentalists exhibit even to their own children! The existence of such cruelty and lack of love is something I simply can NOT understand. There is no way on earth that it is either demanded by God or wanted by God!!! It is pure evil!!
Does God require you to stick your nose into family matters of other people?

You read some internet rumor and somehow that authorizes you to judge Christians in general.

"You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Old 08-31-2015, 06:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes. He does. I witnessed fundie parents disown their own sons during the AIDS crisis. I sat with those men. I talked with them. I listened to them. God required me to be there for them when their own parents were not. God required MANY of us to stick our noses into the family affairs of sick men who had been abandoned by their parents. Sticking our noses into family matters included making sure men who had been abandoned by their fundie parents were given a decent burial when they reached the end of their lives.

Got a problem with that? Tell God.

Had I the chance I'd have told those fundie parents EXACTLY what I thought of them and their version of religion. Got a problem with that? I don't care.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-31-2015 at 07:12 PM..

Old 08-31-2015, 07:25 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
I can't believe that we are actually debating (fiercely!) what an Invisible Man in the Sky thinks about homosexuality.

Stop, step back for just a minute, and then consider the monstrous absurdity of it!

If any advanced alien civilization in a distant solar system is somehow intercepting these communications, they have got to be laughing at us! Or crying. In the same way that we laugh at the absurdity of ancient human civilizations doing human sacrifices in order to appease the rain gods.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Harvey Milk, who was loathed by fundies while he was alive, would be stunned to learn he is now being used by fundamentalists. (That post wasn't the first time his name has been co-opted.)

They have no shame. They think he's burning in hell for being gay and Jewish but they're willing to use his name to moralize and preach. He saw fundamentalists abandoned their gay AIDS-ridden sons on their death beds. He knew they were telling those men they were going to burn in hell. He knew the Christian community bullied gays. He knew the Christian community worked hard to deny gays their rights. He knew fundamentalists wanted to discriminate against the LGBTQ community. He knew the truth. He knew the Christian community worked against everything he worked to achieve.

The truth is Harvey Milk was a proud, strong, intelligent gay man who wouldn't have been invited to dinner in the homes of the people who now want to use him to advance the fundamentalist agenda. They shed no tears when he was brutally murdered but they want to use him now to moralize and preach. Hypocrites.
Bravo!

Too bad it won't register with the smugly ignorant.

Too soon etc.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. He does. I witnessed fundie parents disown their own sons during the AIDS crisis. I sat with those men. I talked with them. I listened to them. God required me to be there for them when their own parents were not. God required MANY of us to stick our noses into the family affairs of sick men who had been abandoned by their parents. Sticking our noses into family matters included making sure men who had been abandoned by their fundie parents were given a decent burial when they reached the end of their lives.

Got a problem with that? Tell God.

Had I the chance I'd have told those fundie parents EXACTLY what I thought of them and their version of religion. Got a problem with that? I don't care.
Another home run!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:07 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
I am heartsick at the ignorance and cruelty that these fundamentalists inflict on their very own flesh and blood. I cannot imagine that God is pleased by such evil and loveless states of mind fostered by this ancient ignorance and superstition. I weep for humanity at such barbarity and cruelty.
Quote:
There is nothing God requires of us that would allow or in any way demand the mistreatment and utter cruelty fundamentalists exhibit even to their own children! The existence of such cruelty and lack of love is something I simply can NOT understand. There is no way on earth that it is either demanded by God or wanted by God!!! It is pure evil!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
God requires me to love everyone, even those who do such evil things in the name of their God. That is why I am heartsick if even ONE has engaged in heartless cruelty in the name of God. It would never be wanted by God, ever. Why, if God is not counting our sins against us, would you think He would want YOU or anyone else to do so, Finn????

Old 08-31-2015, 11:38 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
God requires me to love everyone, even those who do such evil things in the name of their God. That is why I am heartsick if even ONE has engaged in heartless cruelty in the name of God. It would never be wanted by God, ever. Why, if God is not counting our sins against us, would you think He would want YOU or anyone else to do so, Finn????
Now that is the $64,000 question!!

Too soon, etc. but

Old 08-31-2015, 11:49 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Since God is not counting our sins against us, Janelle . . . why on earth are you or these bakers doing so???? Serious question.
We all need to answer to God on how we live our lives. These people are not counting the sins against the gay couple they are concerned on how God will ask them how they lived their lives, simple as that. They did not treat this couple with hate, they just said they could not make their cake. If the couple didn't go to their web site to complain it would have stayed between them and the bakery.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:09 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Since God is not counting our sins against us, Janelle . . . why on earth are you or these bakers doing so???? Serious question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
We all need to answer to God on how we live our lives. These people are not counting the sins against the gay couple they are concerned on how God will ask them how they lived their lives, simple as that. They did not treat this couple with hate, they just said they could not make their cake. If the couple didn't go to their web site to complain it would have stayed between them and the bakery.
It seems you are not accustomed to thinking things through, Janelle. Why would they not make the cake for them? They did not want to facilitate their marriage celebration. Why? Did they think that maybe if they didn't facilitate the celebration they would not go through with it?? Was it placing a stumbling block in their way? Isn't that judging and treating them badly because of what they think is their sin? If that isn't counting their sin against them, what is??? If God isn't doing that why would they??? It may not be as extreme a form of hate, but it is hateful treatment. Is that really what your God wants from you? To treat people badly because of their sin??? Is that how you see yourself being righteous? Isn't being righteous controlling YOUR sinning???How did it become controlling other peoples' sin???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity