Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 07:13 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
the war between religion vs. science is made up by people with agenda's. The battle is between self centered agenda ridden individuals. Many with some kind of axe to grind. Usually when rants are so far out of touch with reality we have to ask ourselves what happen to the person that they would hold such a warped view.
Interesting thought ^ above ^ about agendas. Often false clergy have a ' political agenda ' instead of the teaching agenda of Christ Jesus ( Luke 4:43; Matthew 24:14 ). False clergy have used their agenda by trying to put words in Jesus' mouth that are Not there. It is as if they are some sort of holy ventriloquists. False clergy have often used the pulpit as a recruiting station so parents will sacrifice their young on the Altar of War as if that was the Altar of God when Jesus and his first-century followers were politically neutral. They did Not even become involve in the issues of the day between the Jews and Romans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 07:30 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
People tampering does Not necessarily mean the Bible is Not the Word of God.

Over the many centuries people from within and without have tried to destroy the Bible but can't.
Over the many centuries people have tried to do away with God's people and they can't.
Today both the Bible and Bible people are international in scope as Scripture said it would be - Acts 1:8; Matthew 24:14

Wrong teachings don't make the Bible as wrong, rather it makes the false teachers as wrong - Matthew 15:9
There is a BIG difference between recognizing minor mistakes that crept into ' copies ' of Bible text and dismissing the whole Bible as fabricated. The ancient manuscripts is what supports Bible canon ( the 66 Bible books ). The apocryphal books simply exclude themselves being out of harmony with the ' 66 '. The ' 66' have internal harmony among its many writers. That is why corresponding passages and verses can be cross-referenced with each other, and Jesus could accurately base his teachings on the old Hebrew Scriptures fulfilling them for us.
I mostly agree with your assessment. The Bible is still extremely valuable despite some flaws. Terms like "Word of God" can be very nebulous things though. Are the controversial last parts of the Gospel of Mark legit or should they be disregarded? Is the Johannine Comma likewise to be ignored? Are those words still God's Word? Which parts are 100% reliable and which are not? Those uncomfortable question must be confronted head-on.

As to the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha, I think there is much truth to be had there. It's just very intermixed with fables and falsehoods. There is also significant list of works are missing from the Bible. Some got lost along the way. (See 1 & 2 Chronicles if you doubt this.) Some almost certainly offended certain people's sense of theological orthodoxy, but were probably genuine works by men of God. I believe that the original Gospel of Peter (which is an entirely lost text) is a clear example of this, for example. Some of the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha are corrupted versions of true works. Some of the Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha borrow names of lost scriptural works to make them seem legit.

The Bible as we have it isn't perfect, but it can and does guide us to find God in our lives. It doesn't need to be flawless to do that and God himself can compensate for the fact that the Bible falls short of absolute perfection.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:17 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,390,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
When you walk in love you walk in God and God in you, so whether you know it or not Matadora when you cultivate love and compassion for others you are cultivating godliness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
If that's how you want to see it...fine.

Humans have created and horribly distorted the meaning of god.

By attributing your innate human abilities of love and compassion towards yourself and others as anything other than qualities that come from within you, is simply a deception that religion teaches.

Walking in the spirit of love and compassion is simply walking in your very own self generated conscious framework for love and compassion.
I agree

Well imo man is the most selfish of all creation and because of that selfishness it cannot show forth agape/love towards others, for of themselves or via their own nature they cannot agape\love others as much as they agape/love themselves.

All of the animal kingdom loves, but only man is capable to show forth the agape/love that was manifested in Jesus Christ.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I know it sounds woo woo to you guys who want to attribute it to these man created gods.

We are born with these traits...which are not only unique to humans.

The man created gods that I have read about especially the Christian created god are not about love. Only about control and conditions.

The Christian God as presented in the Bible has got to be the most unpleasant characters in ALL FICTION writings…this fictitious God is Jealous and proud of it. Petty, vindictive unjust, unforgiving, racist and an ethnic cleanser urging his people on to acts of genocide.

This man created god is not about love at all.
hmmm man has always looked for God, thus they wrote about Him from their own experience and understanding of God. Most of Christendom and Judaism holds to the idea that God is in control of every aspect of their lives, thus when bad things befell them these bad thing must then have come from God. Thus they made the Hitlers of the world look like choir boy compared to God.

Their all WRONG.

Jesus revealed God to us via that when we seen him we seen the Father.

So if you own a bible all one has to do is look at Jesus and the things he did to understand God.Now did what we see in Jesus portray God as the way you just did? NOPE

Thus any view of God that differs then the view Jesus showed forth is simply an erroneous view of God.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:56 PM

63,820 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
hmmm man has always looked for God, thus they wrote about Him from their own experience and understanding of God. Most of Christendom and Judaism holds to the idea that God is in control of every aspect of their lives, thus when bad things befell them these bad thing must then have come from God. Thus they made the Hitlers of the world look like choir boy compared to God.
Their all WRONG.
Jesus revealed God to us via that when we seen him we seen the Father.
So if you own a bible all one has to do is look at Jesus and the things he did to understand God.Now did what we see in Jesus portray God as the way you just did? NOPE
Thus any view of God that differs then the view Jesus showed forth is simply an erroneous view of God.
Amen, pneuma! Rep IOU.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:14 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Why not simply embark upon your own spiritual journey without the conditioning's of any religion or man created god?

It simply amazes me that people still ascribe to the belief that there is only one way to achieve spiritual development...and that is in believing in a man created god just because their holy text says so.

I will say this over and over until someone can address it with logic.

Human civilization began by putting an intelligent purpose behind Gods associated with the Sun, the moon, the planets, the wind, the earth and the oceans. By some estimates there have been over 1000 different Gods throughout history…Mars, the God of War, Poseidon, or Thor…Amon Ra, Aphrodite, Apollo, Baal, Bahama, Isis, Mithras, Osiris…and the most important thing is that most of us now reject the existence of any of these Gods today…all of us are Atheists with respect to those Gods.

The reason these Gods have been thrown out is because of the rise in our physical understanding of science, and because science works is the reason we have buried all of these Gods of the wind, rain, Sun and Moon etc. Today when farmers need rain they don’t resort to praying for it…they now talk to meteorologists.

Burying these Gods is a sign that the human condition has evolved and we will continue to evolve in this respect.

So now my question to you guys. Why is it that the Christian God exits but not any of these other Gods? Why are those Gods false and yours true?

Old 07-12-2015, 12:53 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Do you hold everything in the realm of Religiosity?

Faith is not merely believing, it's innately knowing.

In other words, my daughter's know that I love them.
As for having blind-faith, there is no substance.

And actions will always speak louder than words.
Quote:
Not at all.
Yet, your definition was inclusive of religious activity or a particular belief?
You cannot define the undefinable, which goes beyond what a person believes.

Quote:
Faith is merely believing in something or being faithful to someone.
You can believe that you can fly, but that does not make it reality.
Faith is not believing that the parachute will open, it's knowing that it will.

Faith is a placeholder for knowing something is true.
Quote:
Cultivating love and compassion for yourself and others has not one single thing to do with faith.
I would disagree.
Quote:
It takes an aware disciplined mind as well as a very consciously aware person to to practice cultivating these traits. It takes takes practice and effort not just merely believing in it or showing loyalty.
Awareness has nothing to do with the thoughts of your mind, it's beyond that!
Are we not more than our thoughts?
Quote:
There are many examples of loyalty that do not coincide with love or compassion.
Correct, it's not a mere feeling, and has nothing to do with a mental activity.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:24 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Yet, your definition was inclusive of religious activity or a particular belief?
You cannot define the undefinable, which goes beyond what a person believes.
This was based on a response to a discussion about the meaning of the word faith. You claimed that faith is not merely believing, it's innately knowing. To which I posted the actual definitions for this word and as you can read for yourself...innately knowing is not a part of the definition of the word faith.
Quote:
Definition of FAITH
a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty
b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) sincerity of intentions
a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
3. Something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs
Quote:
You can believe that you can fly, but that does not make it reality.
You can believe that this man created god exists, but that does not make it a reality.
Quote:
Faith is not believing that the parachute will open, it's knowing that it will.
This is not faith...it is at best an assumption. There are plenty of people who have assumed their chute will open, but tragically find out that it did not.
Quote:
Faith is a placeholder for knowing something is true.
Hardly, evidence is the placeholder for knowing that something is true.
Quote:
Awareness has nothing to do with the thoughts of your mind, it's beyond that!
Awareness allows you to be be aware of your belief systems and emotions. Developing your awareness is key to changing your perspectives.
Quote:
Correct, it's not a mere feeling, and has nothing to do with a mental activity.
Here I was speaking about loyalty, which is one of the definitions of faith.

There is certainly mental activity involved in a mere feeling. However this does not mean the mental activity involved intelligent processing.

Such a messy post to wade through.

Last edited by Matadora; 07-12-2015 at 01:33 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 02:49 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Such a messy post to wade through.
Evidently, you missed the point.

Love is not merely a feeling.
And faith is more than believing.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Why not simply embark upon your own spiritual journey without the conditioning's of any religion or man created god?

It simply amazes me that people still ascribe to the belief that there is only one way to achieve spiritual development...and that is in believing in a man created god just because their holy text says so.

I will say this over and over until someone can address it with logic.

Human civilization began by putting an intelligent purpose behind Gods associated with the Sun, the moon, the planets, the wind, the earth and the oceans. By some estimates there have been over 1000 different Gods throughout history…Mars, the God of War, Poseidon, or Thor…Amon Ra, Aphrodite, Apollo, Baal, Bahama, Isis, Mithras, Osiris…and the most important thing is that most of us now reject the existence of any of these Gods today…all of us are Atheists with respect to those Gods.

The reason these Gods have been thrown out is because of the rise in our physical understanding of science, and because science works is the reason we have buried all of these Gods of the wind, rain, Sun and Moon etc. Today when farmers need rain they don’t resort to praying for it…they now talk to meteorologists.

Burying these Gods is a sign that the human condition has evolved and we will continue to evolve in this respect.

So now my question to you guys. Why is it that the Christian God exits but not any of these other Gods? Why are those Gods false and yours true?
Mat everyone spiritual journey differs, mine happens to start with God, yours obviously has not or did and you now have rejected what you once believed. Some (few) enter into the kingdom of God via the strait gate, others enter into the kingdom of God via the wide gate, but all will get there eventually.

[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)"]And it amazes me that people always lump all Christian in the same basket. True most believe what you say here, but not all of us agree with the fundy understanding of things. For instance I already showed that I believe two different ways of entering into the kingdom of God, the strait gate and the broad gate. And I do not believe in a holy text as you put it. I already told you people write what they believed about God, that does not make what they wrote true.[/color]

Who said the other gods do not exist? They do exist, but for me there is only 1 God the Father of my Lord Jesus Christ.

Oh and by the way your belief in science is based of faith also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity