Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 03:36 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,391,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Faith is not believing that the parachute will open, it's knowing that it will.
Faith is a placeholder for knowing something is true.

[/i]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

Hardly, evidence is the placeholder for knowing that something is true.

Faith is the evidence of things not seen, so Jer point stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 05:45 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,172,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You perfectly exhibit that which is wrong with fundamentalism.
Read, believe and do what Jesus said over all men~ "exhibit" that.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post

it doesn't have to be blind tho.

jer and you are right and so is matt.

We line up the evidence and Then talk about what it might mean. "the faith" is in our interpretation of the evidence. So the emotional components of living Christ will lead to less angst is a good faith base. The logical components of living Christ will help us be better or even just a little nicer to each other, even for a day, is a good faith base.

Jesus walking on water is blind faith. Jesus literally rising from the dead is faith that evidence, observations, and people cannot rationally interpret the events around them. That stance, this literalism, is a bad faith base. Did I mention bad - bad base?

Rational people do not have to believe in literal teachings and still wholly follow Christ. In fact I say you cannot holy follow Christ until you are non literal. Funny, when we see this the differences between belief sets become emotional needs. that needs some splainin but not here.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 07-12-2015 at 06:08 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 06:19 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Interesting thought ^ above ^ about agendas. Often false clergy have a ' political agenda ' instead of the teaching agenda of Christ Jesus ( Luke 4:43; Matthew 24:14 ). False clergy have used their agenda by trying to put words in Jesus' mouth that are Not there. It is as if they are some sort of holy ventriloquists. False clergy have often used the pulpit as a recruiting station so parents will sacrifice their young on the Altar of War as if that was the Altar of God when Jesus and his first-century followers were politically neutral. They did Not even become involve in the issues of the day between the Jews and Romans.
amen to that

st Frances is an example of a guy that saw "false teaching" and so was martin Luther.

I learned from the bible that people are people first and foremost. "personality types of PEOPLE" are great predictors of how people will act in the future. These actions include How they believe and how they will defend these beliefs. And How will a major life hurtle effect them.

Then there are other components to the people types. The "broken brainers". How do people operate with the various personality disorders or "glitched brains" behave. This is true for theist and atheist ... period. The only question I have is "can a person on the "inside" properly evaluate his part/place in the surrounding system as a whole?

Old 07-12-2015, 12:05 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
Mat everyone spiritual journey differs, mine happens to start with God, yours obviously has not or did and you now have rejected what you once believed. Some (few) enter into the kingdom of God via the strait gate, others enter into the kingdom of God via the wide gate, but all will get there eventually.
You sure assume quite a lot here.

Secondly I am not an Atheist in the sense that you and many faith believers use use the word.

Atheism is not a belief system…what Atheists are saying is that they don’t choose to believe in religious dogma simply because it’s not sensible.

So instead of saying they believe in this or that they are simply saying is this myth is inconsistent with that myth and that myth is inconsistent with what we know about the Universe and that myth is inconsistent with what we know about Evolution and therefore the myths are unlikely to be true and they choose not to believe in them.

That is all Atheism is…is people saying this is unlikely to be true….it is not a belief system. To compare this as a belief system as what religion is…is a false premise

Quote:
And it amazes me that people always lump all Christian in the same basket. True most believe what you say here, but not all of us agree with the fundy understanding of things. For instance I already showed that I believe two different ways of entering into the kingdom of God, the strait gate and the broad gate. And I do not believe in a holy text as you put it. I already told you people write what they believed about God, that does not make what they wrote true.
Actually it sounds as if your spiritual journey started out being conditioned by what Christianity teaches. Then you just picked and choose what suits you from that religion. In other words you are not a true Christian.

Quote:
Who said the other gods do not exist? They do exist, but for me there is only 1 God the Father of my Lord Jesus Christ.
Your god in the bible of the religion that you worship states this loud and clear.

Quote:
Oh and by the way your belief in science is based of faith also.
This is absurdity. My understanding...not belief in science is based on understanding the empirical evidence.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
You obviously don't understand what evidence means.

Faith is believing in something that has no evidence. It's a firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Evidently, you missed the point.
Ditto

Old 07-12-2015, 12:14 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,046,091 times
Well...the book itself says its the Word of God....Why can't you just believe that? ? ?

Old 07-12-2015, 12:19 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
You sure assume quite a lot here.

Secondly I am not an Atheist in the sense that you and many faith believers use use the word.

Atheism is not a belief system…what Atheists are saying is that they don’t choose to believe in religious dogma simply because it’s not sensible.

So instead of saying they believe in this or that they are simply saying is this myth is inconsistent with that myth and that myth is inconsistent with what we know about the Universe and that myth is inconsistent with what we know about Evolution and therefore the myths are unlikely to be true and they choose not to believe in them.

That is all Atheism is…is people saying this is unlikely to be true….it is not a belief system. To compare this as a belief system as what religion is…is a false premise

Actually it sounds as if your spiritual journey started out being conditioned by what Christianity teaches. Then you just picked and choose what suits you from that religion. In other words you are not a true Christian.

Your god in the bible of the religion that you worship states this loud and clear.

This is absurdity. My understanding...not belief in science is based on understanding the empirical evidence.
Many of us are Christ followers who believe evolution was indeed the way God chose to bring about everything we have today.

Do you oppose the idea of loving one's neighbor as oneself? It may not be an exclusively "christian" belief, but it is one based in religious overtones--not empirical ones.

Of course religious views are cherry picked, just as scientific evidence is cherry picked among empiricists. Scientists believed one thing or another for long periods of time before altering their views. Men of faith also believed some things for long periods of time before altering their views.

Whether for faith or empiricism, sticking with "old time" views is a problem. We grow, or we die, along with the belief system, or existing empirical evidence.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Evidently, you missed the point.

Love is not merely a feeling.
And faith is more than believing.

Quote:
Ditto
Faith is more than believing, but you have to take the next step.
It's not about living in fear or a mindless act.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity