Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2015, 12:41 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
How exactly am I supposed to trust a book that has notoriously been tampered with several times throughout history?
There is no evidence to support this claim. Especially when it comes to the Old Testament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 12:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
There is no evidence to support this claim. Especially when it comes to the Old Testament.
Tell that to a Jew.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:46 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
You cannot go wrong when you know truth is all that is lovely and good. Your bible even says this.

Whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; think on these things. Philippians 4

Old 07-12-2015, 12:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Faith is more than believing, but you have to take the next step.
It's not about living in fear or a mindless act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You cannot go wrong when you know truth is all that is lovely and good. Your bible even says this:

Whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; think on these things. Philippians 4
We can take that step together in tandem.
But we must support one-another in love.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:16 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Many of us are Christ followers who believe evolution was indeed the way God chose to bring about everything we have today.
Well of course you guys have to change the interpretation of the bible to make it match the gaps discovered by science. This is what is problematic with theologians trying to fill in the gaps that science has made…the effort to find a rational excuse for something can work… but this does not make it right.

Quote:
Do you oppose the idea of loving one's neighbor as oneself? It may not be an exclusively "christian" belief, but it is one based in religious overtones--not empirical ones.
Why would anyone oppose of cultivating love and compassion towards yourself and others?

Even if there was no religion love and compassion would still exist. You even see this among other species that clearly have no religion. As well as among those who are completely against religion.

You are comparing apples to atoms here. Empirical evidence is a central process to the scientific method...it has nothing to do with religion or how we go about cultivating love and compassion for others.

Quote:
Of course religious views are cherry picked, just as scientific evidence is cherry picked among empiricists. Scientists believed one thing or another for long periods of time before altering their views.
Scientific evidence is not cherry picked by anyone who seeks the truth about understanding the Universe we live in...only by pseudo-scientists. The thing that you guys don't get with respect to science is that it that they are always looking for ways to disprove what they have discovered. This is a good thing. As technology improves and better experiments are designed this will of course lead to tweaking of the previous observations...at least in the 21 Century. These changes are not major overhauls of a theory...mostly just minor based on better technology.

The point of science and the reason it works is because you don’t try and prove something that you like to be true…you also try and prove it to be false…and that is what is really important. You don’t just find a way to say the rainbows are caused by this or that…you actually try and see if your ideas are wrong and ask what is more plausible based on evidence and inquiry.

Quote:
Men of faith also believed some things for long periods of time before altering their views.
Religious faith is dangerous and has resulted in great harm against others since the invention of religion. Religion is faith based period. Religion especially Christianity and Islam has stifled spiritual development. How long have these religions been around? Humanity is no better today than the dark ages...goes to show how much of a failure organized religion is. It stifles spiritual development by claiming that there is only one way for spiritual development.

Religion forces you into a very constrained way of thinking and believing. It's their way or the highway...or even death.

Quote:
Whether for faith or empiricism, sticking with "old time" views is a problem. We grow, or we die, along with the belief system, or existing empirical evidence.
Thank you this has been my main point.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:19 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It's not about living in fear or a mindless act.
Right, it's simply a firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:20 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
Read, believe and do what Jesus said over all men~ "exhibit" that.
And THAT is LOVE

Old 07-12-2015, 02:20 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,172,249 times
What goes in a mans heart comes out his mouth ~ God.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:38 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
1John;2;15, 16,17,
Love not the world neither the things that are in the world ,if any man love the world the love of the father is not in him.
For all that is in the world -the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes , and the pride of life-is not of the Father, but it is of this world.
John 13; 34 , the love is the reference to disciples loving one another . not loving the world.
The comission to preach the gospel is not teaching but rather as an announcment only to those that already have an interest in knowing God, not convincing those that do not have any interest, and pushing to turn them around.
Jesus did not chase or argue with any one , as a matter of fact ,that dialog Jesus had with, and about pharesees was resistant,, not compasionate.
Some one that has chosen Jesus Lordship in their life, He provides the Holy Spirit to teach in His place. and the Holy Spirit reafferms the things Jesus taught 1John 2;20, this is God 's design.
A walk of obedience to the Father on a personal level the way Jesus demonstrated.
Paul's own shift in the gospel , is quite different , I do not endorce.
In the assyembly of writings ,had Paul's writings NOT been included ,
a great many conflicts of the faith would have been avoided.
2 Timothy 2;15, cannot be ligidimately refirring to new testament writings ,as that was a letter to Timothy from Paul.
Though I've been in bible school and studdied the scriptures almost all my life , I much prifir the things Jesus said, seeing I call Him
Lord.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:02 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
I have always sort of of seen this "world" as a testing grounds for how we might act should we make it to the next level of the game. Throughout the bible, Jesus is constantly reminding us to do what God wants. That we are to seek God's will and Jesus then gives us mere mortals two NEW commandments, which He calls the GREATEST commandments.

Reminding us He has other responsibilities, Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place." He said FROM ANOTHER PLACE, not IN ANOTHER PLACE of or FOR or WITH but He said FROM ANOTHER PLACE.

Evangelical fundies picked up on this as justification for refusing to be INVOLVED in changing the world. The fundies cling to 2 Corinthians 4:4 as proof that god-n-the-tiny-box has surrendederd his gtreatst crteation over to Satan--

Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don’t believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don’t understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.

And yet tikme and again we are told that it is JESUS who truly influences this world--

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Jesus says in Matthew 28:18, "All authority in heaven and on earth have been given to me,"

JESUS is in charge, and he leaves NO MISTAKE about that.

So when Jesus reaffirms the two greatest commandments to LOVE GOD and LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR, He does so without hesitation nor does He add- IF SATAN LETS YOU, or FIRST YOU MUST NOT BE OF THIS WORLD...

Jesus says this with full knowledge and understanding that as mere mortals, we have the OBLIGATION and RESPONSIBILITY to change this world and fight for JUSTICE, DEMAND MERCY and SEEK LOVE all while walking HUMBLY with God so as to NOT to throw it in the face of others, and surely NOT IN THE FACE of our neighbors.

Jeremiah 22:3

Thus says the Lord: Do justice and righteousness, and deliver from the hand of the oppressor him who has been robbed. And do no wrong or violence to the resident alien, the fatherless, and the widow, nor shed innocent blood in this place.

Colossians 3:12

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,

Proverbs 21:3

To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.

Isiah 58:5-8

"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter-- when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.

We have a job to do in this world, and if we fail to carry it out, well, I do not believe all the scripture slinging in the world will matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity