Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 11:11 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I do not disagree, but you have little respect for the Apostle Paul, resorting even here to calling him “Paulie”. It’s quite ironic.

As Christians, we must always be in the “mind of Christ”.
Although Paul is about the only first person who is real in the myths the bible discusses, calling him 'Paulie" is perhaps an honorific if this was today's world. He was as slick as any boiler room pusher of worthless stocks, twisty as the worse stereotype of used car salesman, and as greasy as any con man eyeing his mark.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:48 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Although Paul is about the only first person who is real in the myths the bible discusses, calling him 'Paulie" is perhaps an honorific if this was today's world. He was as slick as any boiler room pusher of worthless stocks, twisty as the worse stereotype of used car salesman, and as greasy as any con man eyeing his mark.
When you post that kind of nonsense, do you really think we believe that you'd actually consider anything Christianity has to offer?

Old 09-27-2018, 11:52 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
When you post that kind of nonsense, do you really think we believe that you'd actually consider anything Christianity has to offer?

People who post "that kind of nonsense" were often once Christians themselves.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:53 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
So how does one repent and believe, and therefore change their wicked ways, after they have reached room temperature? I believe what you are calling revenge I would define as divine justice.
How does one continue existence after they "have reached room temperature?" What is there that is available for "divine justice" to act upon? Why would what ever it may be NOT be able to change? Are "wicked ways" or attitudes limited to active human bodies? Why?

Old 09-27-2018, 11:54 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
The two Greek terms translated by this phrase refer to the passive and active partners in consensual homosexual acts. I'm no baseball scholar, but I can tell the difference between the pitcher and the catcher.
But there are more than just the pitcher and catcher in the game of life, just like baseball.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:58 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm pretty sure you have got the sense that I see nothing that christianity can offer, other than a mythology that has some teachings, some of which are horrible and should be consigned to the trash heap of other horrible mythologies, along with some mythologies that have some positive messages.

I've felt that way since I first heard bible stories being read in grade one. I've stated this before, I viewed them the same as the Grimm Brothers tales my mother read to me at the same time, fairy tales that I couldn't wait to hear what happened next. And they had about the same effect on me. Stories, not anything else.

Later on, from grade 6-12 I went to a catholic school, as it was the only one in our are. Had to sit through the catechism, and it again had incredible mythological stories, ones I wondered how could anyone think they were real.

I haven't changed my mind at 67 to any of this.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:02 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
YES HE DID..BUT the C O N T E X T was the topic of DIVORCE, not HOMOSEXUALITY...

Divorce

When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan.

2 Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.

3 Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?”

4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’

5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’?

6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

7 “Why then,” they asked, “did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”

8 Jesus replied, “Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.

9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”

10 The disciples said to him, “If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”

11 Jesus replied, “Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given.

12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”
I’m aware of that, but does it not serve as God’s definition of marriage?

Old 09-27-2018, 12:04 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The few christians that are here are treated very well,as they also treat others the same, the other Pharisaical christians...well, that is indeed another issue...
According to the rules here, anyone who claims to be Christian should be held as such.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:05 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
According to the rules here, anyone who claims to be Christian should be held as such.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:09 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
I’m aware of that, but does it not serve as God’s definition of marriage?
No. And trying to say that it does is adding to what the Gospel says. Nowhere is the Bible is there a definition of marriage that is clear and unambiguous. Just like this passage, every single verse you find is twisting the meaning of the words to claim it defines marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity