Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2018, 07:37 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

^Too soon here for both of you, but good posts, gentlemen.

TD, nice comparison to interracial relationships. My sister (white) has been with her black husband for 42 years. Four decades ago they couldn't walk through a mall or go out to dinner without rude remarks and stares. Now no one gives them a second glance.

Hopefully similar change comes sooner rather than later for LGBT people, as well.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-28-2018 at 07:47 AM..

Old 09-28-2018, 07:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
But why can't the LGBTQ community accept the fact that Christians think homosexuality is wrong?
There are many who claim to be Christians and say anything goes, and that it is wrong to talk about sin. They will accuse you of being a bigot unless you agree with them. You can narrow it down to saying "why can't they accept the fact that Bible teaches homosexual activity is sinful". If people want to disagree, then fine, their disagreement is with Biblical teachings.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:42 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are many who claim to be Christians and say anything goes, and that wrong to talk about sin. They will accuse you of being a bigot unless you agree with them. You can narrow it down to saying "why can't they accept the fact that Bible teaches homosexual activity is sinful". If people want to disagree, then fine, their disagreement is with Biblical teachings.

And there are many who claim to be Christian who bash gays, using the bible as their bludgeon. It's wrong. They are wrong. You who do not condemn it, are wrong.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:49 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
It is simple. When the biblical teaching conflicts with showing compassion for and acceptance of our fellow humans, the biblical teaching is wrong.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:11 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
There are many who claim to be Christians and say anything goes, and that it is wrong to talk about sin. They will accuse you of being a bigot unless you agree with them. You can narrow it down to saying "why can't they accept the fact that Bible teaches homosexual activity is sinful". If people want to disagree, then fine, their disagreement is with Biblical teachings.
What homosexual activity is sinful? Is it falling in love? Is it holding hands with your SO? Is it kissing someone you love? Is it hugging your partner? I haven't seen any Biblical passages that refer to any of these things.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is simple. When the biblical teaching conflicts with showing compassion for and acceptance of our fellow humans, the biblical teaching is wrong.
You can show compassion and acceptance without trash-canning Biblical teachings.

Parents, for example, are often in a situation where they tell their children "what you did was wrong, and you must face the consequences, but I want you to know I love you anyway".

Old 09-28-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
What homosexual activity is sinful? Is it falling in love? Is it holding hands with your SO? Is it kissing someone you love? Is it hugging your partner? I haven't seen any Biblical passages that refer to any of these things.
Google "homosexual activity". Google is easy.....and fun

Yes, you have seen the Bible describe what is considered sinful.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
This is really interesting, I thought I would share it here.
The Historic Origins of Church Condemnation of Homosexuality
Small excerpt:

On May 14, 390, an imperial decree was posted at the Roman hall of Minerva, a gathering place for actors, writers and artists, which criminalized for the first time the sexual practice of those whom we call "homosexual" men -- this had never happened before in the history of law. The prescribed penalty was death by burning.

This law was promulgated by an emperor who at the time was under a penance set by St. Ambrose, the bishop of Milan, and the law was issued in the context of a persecution of heresies.
Homosexual men at the imperial court had been powerful opponents of Catholic doctrine during the fourth-century conflicts over the nature of Jesus Christ...

Prior to 390, both religious and secular laws had targeted only one particular form of homosexuality:

when a man or youth who otherwise exhibited a virile attraction toward women nonetheless
agreed to or was forced to play a female role in intercourse with other men...

Old 09-28-2018, 08:35 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Quote:
Google "homosexual activity". Google is easy.....and fun

Yes, you have seen the Bible describe what is considered sinful.
You'll have to tell me which homosexual activity you consider sinful. After you've told me, I'll see if I can ask a few LGBT folks if they engage in that activity.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:35 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Give an example, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.