Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2018, 08:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You'll have to tell me which homosexual activity you consider sinful. After you've told me, I'll see if I can ask a few LGBT folks if they engage in that activity.
No, I do not have to tell you something that everyone already knows. If you don't know, or are too lazy to google, or look in the Bible what is considered sinful, then you'll have to continue with you life wondering about it. And yes, you can be gay or straight and not engage in the activities in question.

Adultery is described as sinful in the Bible. You can ask a married person if he/she engages in adultery, and if they say no, then should that mean adultery is not sinful? Obviously not. It means the person you asked it not engaging in it.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:02 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You'll have to tell me which homosexual activity you consider sinful. After you've told me, I'll see if I can ask a few LGBT folks if they engage in that activity.

It's an interesting question, as we don't do anything different than what straight people do. The only difference is we're better at it

Old 09-28-2018, 09:04 AM

6,797 posts, read 2,910,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228
But why can't the LGBTQ community accept the fact that Christians think homosexuality is wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There are many who claim to be Christians and say anything goes, and that it is wrong to talk about sin.
You have a tendency for being wrong much of the time, Finn. I doubt that anyone is saying 'anything goes' whether they are professed Christian or not. What some of them are saying, however, is that (a) they have come to realize after careful study that the 'Holy Book' says NOTHING about homosexuality as WE today understand this sexual orientation, or (b) they simply don't care if the Bible authors did condemn homosexuality since they were mere human beings from times past and their views on life have no bearing on we today, or (c) they realize that God/Jesus is NOT found within the pages of a book but rather found within the heart and the mind of the individual. Yeah, I realize how cliche that sounds and it can be a hard road to follow, but it's true ...or should be. The Bible is NOT God even though it has become the 'God idol' of Christian Fundamentalists.

Quote:
They will accuse you of being a bigot unless you agree with them.
The only time that I would accuse you, Finn, of being a bigot is when you are being a bigot. And, since you have absolutely no Bible support for your negativity toward homosexual people and therefore have no reason other than a personal one to cast aspersions on gay people I think the shoe might fit. I've already discussed the Bible with you on this thread and on other similar threads regarding those misinterpreted 'clobber texts' ...so how come you persist in pursuing an empty argument? If you know your Bible as well as you think you do you should be in agreement with me. I'm not making this stuff up. The Bible doesn't address homosexuality. The authors of the Bible would not have known what homosexuality was. It's only in relatively recent times that WE have come to an understanding of human sexuality. Surely, you MUST know this, Finn.

Quote:
You can narrow it down to saying "why can't they accept the fact that Bible teaches homosexual activity is sinful". If people want to disagree, then fine, their disagreement is with Biblical teachings.
On the contrary, I don't disagree with the Bible teachings ...not on this issue anyway. And, the only reason that I disagree with you personally, Finn, is because you - a 'sinner' yourself - are highlighting what you believe are the 'sins' of others while also preaching the wrong message from the Bible anyway. The Bible does not condemn homosexuality. I've asked you and others many times to offer up Bible passages that refer to male/male sexual practices that DON'T relate to temple prostitution (in other words, actual 'homosexuality' as we today define the term) but you never have. You could easily prove me wrong by doing so. You surely must be wearing blinders or you're obstinately digging in your heels intentionally to ignore everything that has previously been brought to your attention regarding the Bible and those 'clobber' texts, Finn. I really don't know what else to say to you.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:06 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Give an example, please.
Jesus gave the very best example of this. It is called the parable of The Good Samaritan. I'm sure you've heard of it.

A priest and a Levite both leave a beaten man lying at the side of the road because according to their written law they could potentially be defiled by touching him and therefore ineligible to conduct their duties at the temple. They are following the written law instead of putting it aside out of compassion for the human being who needs their help. They go on, and another person, one who is considered not quite acceptable in the priest's and Levite's society, shows the compassion they could not and helps the man.

I personally find that to be the most important lesson ever ascribed to Jesus. The priest and the Levite are not rotten people. They simply think they are doing what is right because that's what the written rules say.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
And, since you have absolutely no Bible support for your negativity toward homosexual people and therefore have no reason other than a personal one to cast aspersions on gay people I think the shoe might fit.
How about you quote some examples of these "aspersions", so we know what you are referring to. Thanks

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-28-2018 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-28-2018, 09:24 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
No, I do not have to tell you something that everyone already knows. If you don't know, or are too lazy to google, or look in the Bible what is considered sinful, then you'll have to continue with you life wondering about it. And yes, you can be gay or straight and not engage in the activities in question.

Adultery is described as sinful in the Bible. You can ask a married person if he/she engages in adultery, and if they say no, then should that mean adultery is not sinful? Obviously not. It means the person you asked it not engaging in it.
Are you referring to men having anal sex with other men on the synagogue altar?

Old 09-28-2018, 09:58 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
It was only in 2003 that the Supreme Court invalidated the last 14 states that had sodomy between consenting adults, even married heteros ,still on their books...If someone were to look into their window...( I think that was how others knew it was happening)...technically they could get fined up to 15 yrs ago.
Just an fyi.

Biblically isn't spilling your sp*rm on the floor/ground a BIG no-no? That was before condoms, of course, now it is wrapped and tossed in the garbage...same thing or worse.
Why aren't Christians picketing condom factories?

re: Genesis 38:6-10

Old 09-28-2018, 10:09 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
There are many who claim to be Christians and say anything goes, and that it is wrong to talk about sin. They will accuse you of being a bigot unless you agree with them. You can narrow it down to saying "why can't they accept the fact that Bible teaches homosexual activity is sinful". If people want to disagree, then fine, their disagreement is with Biblical teachings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is simple. When the biblical teaching conflicts with showing compassion for and acceptance of our fellow humans, the biblical teaching is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
You have a tendency for being wrong much of the time, Finn. I doubt that anyone is saying 'anything goes' whether they are professed Christian or not. What some of them are saying, however, is that (a) they have come to realize after careful study that the 'Holy Book' says NOTHING about homosexuality as WE today understand this sexual orientation, or (b) they simply don't care if the Bible authors did condemn homosexuality since they were mere human beings from times past and their views on life have no bearing on we today, or (c) they realize that God/Jesus is NOT found within the pages of a book but rather found within the heart and the mind of the individual. Yeah, I realize how cliche that sounds and it can be a hard road to follow, but it's true ...or should be. The Bible is NOT God even though it has become the 'God idol' of Christian Fundamentalists.....

Or a combination of those perceptions.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:11 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Jesus gave the very best example of this. It is called the parable of The Good Samaritan. I'm sure you've heard of it.

A priest and a Levite both leave a beaten man lying at the side of the road because according to their written law they could potentially be defiled by touching him and therefore ineligible to conduct their duties at the temple. They are following the written law instead of putting it aside out of compassion for the human being who needs their help. They go on, and another person, one who is considered not quite acceptable in the priest's and Levite's society, shows the compassion they could not and helps the man.

I personally find that to be the most important lesson ever ascribed to Jesus. The priest and the Levite are not rotten people. They simply think they are doing what is right because that's what the written rules say.
What Biblical teaching is in conflict with that?

Old 09-28-2018, 10:12 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
It was only in 2003 that the Supreme Court invalidated the last 14 states that had sodomy between consenting adults, even married heteros ,still on their books...If someone were to look into their window...( I think that was how others knew it was happening)...technically they could get fined up to 15 yrs ago.
Just an fyi.

Biblically isn't spilling your sp*rm on the floor/ground a BIG no-no? That was before condoms, of course, now it is wrapped and tossed in the garbage...same thing or worse.
Why aren't Christians picketing condom factories?

re: Genesis 38:6-10
no. If you read the entire context, you will find that Onan was instructed to have relations with his sister-in-law after her husband died. Any children born to them would be the son of his brother, even though he was the biological father. His sin was disobedience and refusal to give his dead brother a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity