Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2018, 03:47 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The FACT that Christians think homosexuality is wrong? That simply isn't true. There are a number of Christians actively participating in this very thread that see nothing wrong about homosexuality. They attend churches that welcome LGBT people as members and have even conducted their marriage ceremonies in those churches.

Maybe you should have said that you and SOME other Christians think homosexuality is wrong. If I was guessing, I'd guess that your sons sense that you think they are living their lives badly. People tend to pick up on it when their parents disapprove of them.

First off the Christian Bible says homosexuality is wrong. Secondly my older son told me I was the only parent to go to the memorial for all the people killed in the Orlando nightclub shooting so he certainly doesn't feel that I think he is living his life badly. He has a good job, makes decent money and seems happy. Do I like that he is gay? No. Do I condemn him for it? No, not my job to condemn him or anybody else. Now the other son who is dating a transsexual has made nothing but bad decisions his entire life starting the first time he shot heroin into his veins 16 years ago. So if he feels I think he is living his life badly too flippin' bad. He's welcome to move out any time he can get his act together, find a job and stop relying on me.

I don't care about TV commercials showing interracial relationships, in fact I think it's great and we've come a long way from the Cheerios debacle over their interracial couple a few years ago. I don't love the fact that I have to explain to my young granddaughter why two men or women are kissing on TV. She doesn't need to know about this at her age.

While nobody expects the LGBTQ people to go back in the closet the militant stance that SOME of them have doesn't help them any. And like I said in my previous post. Why aren't I allowed to have MY opinion without being labeled a hater or worse? I would never mistreat a gay person or not hire one who was qualified for a job. I would also go to their defense if they were being abused. But I'M intolerant? Some of them are the intolerant ones. If everybody is supposed to accept their lifestyle why can't they accept they some of us don't agree with it? Does tolerance only go one way?

Old 09-28-2018, 03:49 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I won't waste my time with you again. Clearly you argue only for the sake of arguing, and don't even read the answers you demand from others.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:55 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, in spite of the lack of specific references, Finn has come up with the only answer that covers his perception: ANY sexual acts between partners of the same sex. I'd have to say that is probably representative of conservative/fundamentalist perceptions. The question then becomes one of why such should be considered "sin" and of course the answer would be because of an arbitrary prohibition deduced by extension.

I don't believe God makes arbitrary rules for His creation. Do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Isn't that adding to what the Scripture says?
In one sense, the extreme literalsist sense, yes. But, strangely enough I think there has actually been a departure from their norm to appropriate exposition here. Unfortuneately the OT does a LOT of naming specific circumstances and leaving us to work out the principle which is behind the cited application.* In this case, I believe there really was an idea of at least anal intercourse based on the perception of "purity" that is expressed most notably in the dietary laws. That, of course, begs the question of why we should pay any more attention to it than to shrimp is an abomination....if it were not for the pervasive prejudice engendered by the perception.

*An example of how this can be really screwed up is how the literalists interpretation of "Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk" turned into the seriously weird customs surrounding meat and dairy even in modern Judaism when even Maimoniedes noted that what was the real focus was local black magic practices.An appropriate understanding would be more like "Thou shalt not participate in necromancy and other black arts."

Old 09-28-2018, 03:58 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Default Why does homosexuality anger conservative Christians more than other sins?

Sadly, it is because the majority of Christians remain carnally-minded and not spiritually-minded. There is little less spiritual and more carnal than concern over sexual activity, period. It has been the bane of spiritual development and maturity. Our carnal activities are of no concern to God if they do NOT interfere or corrupt our spiritual "state of mind," period. That spiritual "state of mind" has to be genuine agape love or as close as we can emulate it as carnal beings.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:06 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
The confusion runs deep in that poster.
So you are saying that scenario could never be because 2 gay men who love each other cannot posssess Agape love. You're still as evasive as ever i see.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
I believe Jimmiej was going back to an earlier idea expressed in the thread concerning how expressing their perception and supporting discrimination for "religious reasons" hurts people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is simple. When the biblical teaching conflicts with showing compassion for and acceptance of our fellow humans, the biblical teaching is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Give an example, please.
Your response engendered a bit of a side track with the example of the Good Samaritan and the purity laws.
Jimmyj's response goes back to the original point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I asked honestly with no ill intent. Being mean to gay people is not a Biblical principal. I must assume you have nothing else to offer. You’ve done this before. When pressed for specifics, you throw a fit, insisting I should already know the answer. You should be able to back up your statements.
What he is ignoring is the EFFECT mentioned of how those expressed perceptions actually DO cause harm to gay people.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:13 PM

Lmao Jerwade. There are plenty of fundies on here that are resolute about their beliefs, at least they are honest and upfront about them,i have no issues with that, at all, but this guy though is an entirely different breed of fundy,in all my believing days i have never come across anyone how he does, the world he condemns as far more about them than he does.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:14 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I believe Jimmiej was going back to an earlier idea expressed in the thread concerning how expressing their perception and supporting discrimination for "religious reasons" hurts people.
Your response engendered a bit of a side track with the example of the Good Samaritan and the purity laws.
Jimmyj's response goes back to the original point:
What he is ignoring is the EFFECT mentioned of how those expressed perceptions actually DO cause harm to gay people.
I am mystified that anyone, Christian or not, could EVER think that labeling someone an ABOMINATION is not intrinsically harmful and cruel.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:22 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
What type of relationship? Are we talking buddies? Like Oscar and Felix of the Odd Couple? Or homosexual relationship?

Romans 1 condemns homosexuality. But I really don't pretend you care. Nor is that a reason to mistreat or to discriminate against anyone in America, so please don't suggest that's our intent.
Like David loved Jonathon...

I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Wow, your well up on the whole love thing. Dr Love, what is your opinion of one gay guy loving another gay guy with choice #3 ?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You mean like Jesus loving us?

2 gay men doing what Finn Jarber imagines they get up too but love each other with choice #3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hIYHjvxBdQ

BFun, what say ye ?.

Quote:
The confusion runs deep in that poster.
The only confusion is in why a confessing christian like yourself is evasive with their beliefs and twists everything other posters say to you to get to the bottom of what you are being evasive about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity