Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2018, 12:06 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Well, it's a legitimate question. Why DOES homosexuality play so prominent in the ranking of 'sins' the conservative Christians get all excited about?
They are afraid to come out of their closets.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:39 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
This is really interesting, I thought I would share it here.

The Historic Origins of Church Condemnation of Homosexuality

Old 09-28-2018, 04:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Here's the topic of this thread:

Why does homosexuality anger conservative Christians more than other sins?

How is that an attack against conservative Christians? It looks to me like it is a question about or directed to conservative Christians.
Its a straw man argument. That's all.

You know, like "Why do New Age people hate Christians more than Muslims"

Wouldn't this be better?

"Does homosexuality anger conservative Christians more than other sins?"

Old 09-28-2018, 05:00 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Wouldn't this be better?

"Does homosexuality anger conservative Christians more than other sins?
"
I would have preferred fundamentalist instead of conservative to have been in the title.Then the answer as far as i am concerned would be yes, because you are always speaking out against what you hate.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:33 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Wouldn't this be better?

"Does homosexuality anger conservative Christians more than other sins?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I would have preferred fundamentalist instead of conservative to have been in the title.Then the answer as far as i am concerned would be yes, because you are always speaking out against what you hate.
Those might both make sense. However, this thread was started over 3 years ago, then went dormant for a long time, and was resurrected a few months ago. I'm not going to take the time to go back and reread the entire thread to see if any issues would be created now by changing the title.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:46 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
I submit that homosexuals are far more militant than the Christians they accuse.

Case in point is that they employ the attitude of TOLERANCE as a rallying point.

Everyone should TOLERATE their sexual aberrations, they say. On the other hand, homosexuals refuse to TOLERATE the wish of righteous people to live according to God's Law. They are "in your face" about it - demanding those who love God's Law to yield to the gay perverted sense of licentiousness.

They are of all folk the most hypocritical - in that they demand TOLERANCE for themselves.

Yep this is it exactly. My oldest son is gay and while I accept him, I don't like it even though he's been out for about 12 years now but he's an adult and can make his own decisions. We accept his SO even though we don't care for him as much as some of his other SO's but that's neither here nor there. The whole family treats both of them with respect and love.

Now yesterday I found out that my younger son (31) is dating a transsexual. She's had the whole works done and looks like a Barbie doll. When I got upset about it he accused me of being close minded. We get accused of being a hater, of being close minded, a hypocrite, everything else because we don't agree with any of this. We have this lifestyle thrown at us from everywhere. I even saw a diamond commercial with two women kissing. We are just supposed to think it's perfectly normal? But why can't the LGBTQ community accept the fact that Christians think homosexuality is wrong? Doesn't mean Christians are going to treat them badly (some will) but why can't we have OUR opinions the same way they have THEIR opinions? Why can't we just agree to disagree and not label each other?

*Edited for spelling

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 09-28-2018 at 06:34 AM..

Old 09-28-2018, 06:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Those might both make sense. However, this thread was started over 3 years ago, then went dormant for a long time, and was resurrected a few months ago. I'm not going to take the time to go back and reread the entire thread to see if any issues would be created now by changing the title.
Pcamps speaks for himself when he says "you are always speaking out against what you hate".

There is no need to change the title. Just pointing out the fact that a straw man argument contains a false accusation, and therefore can be considered an attack of sorts.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-28-2018 at 06:57 AM..

Old 09-28-2018, 06:52 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
This is really interesting, I thought I would share it here.

The Historic Origins of Church Condemnation of Homosexuality
Thanks for the link. I will try to get to it later. Moderator cut: Political and not related to thread.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-28-2018 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Politics

Old 09-28-2018, 07:23 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yep this is it exactly. My oldest son is gay and while I accept him, I don't like it even though he's been out for about 12 years now but he's an adult and can make his own decisions. We accept his SO even though we don't care for him as much as some of his other SO's but that's neither here nor there. The whole family treats both of them with respect and love.

Now yesterday I found out that my younger son (31) is dating a transsexual. She's had the whole works done and looks like a Barbie doll. When I got upset about it he accused me of being close minded. We get accused of being a hater, of being close minded, a hypocrite, everything else because we don't agree with any of this. We have this lifestyle thrown at us from everywhere. I even saw a diamond commercial with two women kissing. We are just supposed to think it's perfectly normal? But why can't the LGBTQ community accept the fact that Christians think homosexuality is wrong? Doesn't mean Christians are going to treat them badly (some will) but why can't we have OUR opinions the same way they have THEIR opinions? Why can't we just agree to disagree and not label each other?

*Edited for spelling
The FACT that Christians think homosexuality is wrong? That simply isn't true. There are a number of Christians actively participating in this very thread that see nothing wrong about homosexuality. They attend churches that welcome LGBT people as members and have even conducted their marriage ceremonies in those churches.

Maybe you should have said that you and SOME other Christians think homosexuality is wrong. If I was guessing, I'd guess that your sons sense that you think they are living their lives badly. People tend to pick up on it when their parents disapprove of them.

You saw a commercial that reflects how the world is these days. I've noticed that commercials and TV programming have included mixed race families, gay characters, guys holding hands or kissing, and you saw women buying diamonds for each other. We saw a lady on a Food Network competition that wanted to learn how to cook for her wife. A gay and a lesbian connected on Big Brother because they shared a common interest as members of the LGBT community. It's everywhere because life is like that now. Get used to it. LGBT people are not going back into the closet.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:31 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
The FACT that Christians think homosexuality is wrong? That simply isn't true. There are a number of Christians actively participating in this very thread that see nothing wrong about homosexuality. They attend churches that welcome LGBT people as members and have even conducted their marriage ceremonies in those churches.

Maybe you should have said that you and SOME other Christians think homosexuality is wrong. If I was guessing, I'd guess that your sons sense that you think they are living their lives badly. People tend to pick up on it when their parents disapprove of them.

You saw a commercial that reflects how the world is these days. I've noticed that commercials and TV programming have included mixed race families, gay characters, guys holding hands or kissing, and you saw women buying diamonds for each other. We saw a lady on a Food Network competition that wanted to learn how to cook for her wife. A gay and a lesbian connected on Big Brother because they shared a common interest as members of the LGBT community. It's everywhere because life is like that now. Get used to it. LGBT people are not going back into the closet.

Good post. Too soon.

30+ years ago, eyebrows were raised and tongues clicked at interracial couples. Now, nobody bats an eye. With gays being shown in tv shows and commercials as "normal," it will hasten their acceptance by the more backwards members of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity