Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 02:51 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,822,740 times

Advertisements

If you want to set off most conservative Christians get on the topic of homosexuality or gay rights. The anger most of them have regarding this issue is unfathomable. Get on the topic and most conservative Christians will take on an anger and a zeal that you don't see when talking about any other issue except maybe abortion. Whenever LGBT-advocates have a political or cultural victory, Facebook fills up with right-wingers venting their anger and hatred towards these individuals. The same people come to the defense of people like Josh Duggar. Why is this? It seems to be getting a lot worse as many of the beliefs once confined to extremist groups like Westboro are now gaining traction among mainstream evangelicals.

Why is it that a man can cheat on his wife and molest his sister, and have Mike Huckabee call for forgiveness but as soon as somebody comes out as gay, you have Huckabee and his ilk calling on God to wipe America off the face of the planet for simply allowing them to exist?

You ask most people this question and they will say its because the Bible says homosexuality is an abomination. Want to know what also is an abomination? A lying tongue, (see Proverbs 12:22), yet religious right politicians have no qualms with spinning the truth when it suits their agenda. Most people who cry and scream about homosexuality probably aren't even aware of what else the Bible calls an abomination.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:42 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,242,084 times
The believe their children may be encouraged to try gay..LOL

Or that their spouse might just leave for a SSR...

Old 09-04-2015, 03:52 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,243,701 times
They hate the thought of anyone having and enjoying a good sex life

Plus, the conservative/evangelical/fundamentalists have always needed a common enemy to fear and fight against. It keeps the followers coming back every Sunday, filling up the collection plates. And religious fundamentalists tend to be less-educated and intolerant of things they don't understand.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
They hate the thought of anyone having and enjoying a good sex life

Plus, the conservative/evangelical/fundamentalists have always needed a common enemy to fear and fight against. It keeps the followers coming back every Sunday, filling up the collection plates. And religious fundamentalists tend to be less-educated and intolerant of things they don't understand.
Agreed. And though it's not politically correct to say it out loud, very many are lacking the cognitive ability to assess situations accurately and rationally.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:16 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,620,761 times
Some people are embarrassed to speak, or learn about sex.

They look to faith to explain their physiological reactions. A book written hundreds of years ago calls it sin. Fornication, lust, and so forth. It comes from a place of ignorance. It is used as a way to demonize and marginalize others.

They target those who claim their sexuality on their own terms. Sad, really.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
Good point; but basically is that Gay are force issue and Christians are speaking up. They did on abortion also and have continue to. I think to say that Christianity which has out last empires and countries are ignorant is typical of why they disappeared on their own merits while Christianity remains. No Christian for example is forcing you to bake any religious cake; its the same ole pot stirs acting like Brown shirts against the Jews. It will never go way fully. As a Christian if you do not want to bake my religious cake then I will find another who will and allow you your beliefs; plain and simple.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:39 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,932,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Good point; but basically is that Gay are force issue and Christians are speaking up. They did on abortion also and have continue to. I think to say that Christianity which has out last empires and countries are ignorant is typical of why they disappeared on their own merits while Christianity remains. No Christian for example is forcing you to bake any religious cake; its the same ole pot stirs acting like Brown shirts against the Jews. It will never go way fully. As a Christian if you do not want to bake my religious cake then I will find another who will and allow you your beliefs; plain and simple.
You might have a point if the "force issue" were not simply a reaction to oppression driven by those "Christians." The "force" is merely to remove two thousand years of stupidity on this issue.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:42 PM

9,692 posts, read 10,029,011 times
See homosexuality was still illegal in about twelve state on and before 2002, where other states legalized it before 1970 and some ten states legalized it in the 1980s to the 1990s , so the ideas are relatively new for many people ....,,,,,,,,,,.. Still the lady in Kentucky who blocked the marriages licenses from being given was not a politically Republican conservative Christian ,but a Political registered Democratic Christian........................ Still the devil who gives rise to Sexually diverse was released on America back in the 1970 when Homosexuality was legalized , so the marriages of today is to late as the devil been released out of the abyss years ago ......So if Conservative Christians are angry that this is also the manipulation of some dark spiritual forces which should be resisted

Old 09-04-2015, 05:43 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,620,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I won't.

I have no interest in knowing the religion of my vendors. None.

I do not care if my customers are gay. I would not be able to pick out a gay customer or a Christian.

I do not discuss faith with customers. I do not discuss their sexuality , or mine. No quizzes, just cake, cookies, and brownies.

Separate but equal was ended with Brown v Education. We are not going back.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:06 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,536,627 times
Christians are now expected to "celebrate" what the Bible teaches is sin. Yes, there are many other sins and we all sin. But this we are to "celebrate." And if you dare speak disagreement you are a bigot. There is no discussion. Celebrate or shut-up. So, yes, it can be an emotional issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.