Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 11:03 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,611,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
alright then. tell me how you are still discriminated. i really would like to know....spell it out for me so i can see for myself.
Well, first off, I am a heterosexual female. My discrimination would differ greatly from that of a gay person (Although after thinking about it and listing some below, maybe not differ all that much...). If you haven't gotten an idea of the discrimination gay people face, just from this thread alone, nothing I say could explain it to you. You either aren't paying attention, or you don't care. Also, it isn't just discrimination, but harassment and threats of violence as well. That being said, I will post some ways below, just for the lurkers that may be around and find it useful.

1. Employment- In many places, people can be discriminated against as far as being hired and fired, simply because they are gay. Same with pay, much like the difference in men and women...

2. Housing. Same as above, when it comes to renting and buying.

3. Being turned away from using a service, or buying from certain stores. Being told to "just buy somewhere else". Imagine that happening to a Christian, and the outrage that would come from the right...

4. You also have the continued fight by the right to try and overturn gay marriage, and some states making it more difficult on gay people.

5. Adoption. There are plenty of places where you are not allowed to adopt if you are a gay couple.

6. Doctors have turned people away for being gay, or refused to fill prescriptions, and the like.

7. Gay people can also be turned away from high schools and colleges due to their orientation.

8. More than half of the gay people in the US have been a victim of either violence, or harassment because of their sexual orientation.

9. I have also read where something like 15% of gay people don't call the police when they believe they need to, because they have experienced discrimination and bias in previous incidents with police.

I can come up with more if you like, these were just the ones I thought of off the top of my head.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:22 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,119,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Do any of your posts urge that gays be treated exactly as you are? That they should be able to buy a cake from any business, visit any church, sing in any choir, marry without being harassed? Anything close to that?

So the fact is, that whether you "hate" them or not, you do not wish them to be treated like you? My what a display of Jesus in your posts!

Mark 12:31
I Cor. 10:24
Romans 13:9
James 2:8
Matt. 7:12
Jesus injunction, and that of His disciples, demands that we tear the skin off our bodiess and wrap it around another person so that we feel that we are that other person; and all the longings that we have for our own safety and health and success and happiness we now feel for that other person as though he were us.

You don't think like that, which is why you don't know Jesus. Your concern needs to be for YOUR salvation, not for denigrating gays for whatever sin you think they have.
they can go to church, they can sing in a choir, they can be married without being harassed (or were you not listening in 2015?)

for every bakery that may say no, there are 1,000 more that will say yes. what's to stop you from going to one of them? and lest you think i am being crass, i have felt this discrimination myself throughout my life by being asked to leave a store or shop because i have a Christian t-shirt on, or because people don't like the way i look (i was born with a cleft palate, a hairlip and a deviated septum so i look different than everyone else) i have been denied jobs because of it. i have had people move away from me on public transit so don't tell i don't know what discrimination is. so you know what i do? i live with it and thank God for every day i wake up and am able to be alive.

btw, Matt. 7:12 reads this way: "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets". it says nothing about tearing skin off your body.

and finally, Christians are called to the "Great Commission" which is to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all the world. in order for people to understand why they would need a Savior, they need to understand why they are sinners. otherwise, there is little reason to want to make a change in their lives.

i probably think along the lines of what Jesus wants far more than you think i do so i wouldn't be so judgmental of others. they just might be more Christlike than you imagine.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:26 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,414,897 times
In other words, urban, you believe you’ve been discriminated against, so it’s okay for fundamentalists to discriminate? An eye for an eye?

Old 11-26-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
for every bakery that may say no, there are 1,000 more that will say yes. what's to stop you from going to one of them? and lest you think i am being crass, i have felt this discrimination myself throughout my life by being asked to leave a store or shop because i have a Christian t-shirt on, or because people don't like the way i look (i was born with a cleft palate, a hairlip and a deviated septum so i look different than everyone else) i have been denied jobs because of it. i have had people move away from me on public transit so don't tell i don't know what discrimination is.
Yet you are perfectly fine allowing gay people to go through these same horrendous things?

Old 11-26-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Well, first off, I am a heterosexual female. My discrimination would differ greatly from that of a gay person (Although after thinking about it and listing some below, maybe not differ all that much...). If you haven't gotten an idea of the discrimination gay people face, just from this thread alone, nothing I say could explain it to you. You either aren't paying attention, or you don't care. Also, it isn't just discrimination, but harassment and threats of violence as well. That being said, I will post some ways below, just for the lurkers that may be around and find it useful.

1. Employment- In many places, people can be discriminated against as far as being hired and fired, simply because they are gay. Same with pay, much like the difference in men and women...

2. Housing. Same as above, when it comes to renting and buying.

3. Being turned away from using a service, or buying from certain stores. Being told to "just buy somewhere else". Imagine that happening to a Christian, and the outrage that would come from the right...

4. You also have the continued fight by the right to try and overturn gay marriage, and some states making it more difficult on gay people.

5. Adoption. There are plenty of places where you are not allowed to adopt if you are a gay couple.

6. Doctors have turned people away for being gay, or refused to fill prescriptions, and the like.

7. Gay people can also be turned away from high schools and colleges due to their orientation.

8. More than half of the gay people in the US have been a victim of either violence, or harassment because of their sexual orientation.

9. I have also read where something like 15% of gay people don't call the police when they believe they need to, because they have experienced discrimination and bias in previous incidents with police.

I can come up with more if you like, these were just the ones I thought of off the top of my head.
i was born with a cleft palatte, hairlip and deviated septum so i look quite different than most other people so i have been discriminated against in some areas you have described: work, housing, shopping, doctors etc. i have faced an entire lifetime of harassment and violence due to my looks. perhaps that means nothing to you but you seem to infer that EVERY and ALL Christians are engaging in each of these items you listed and you could be no more wrong about that. there are some but MOST Christians are content to live with the people in this country and within their communities, treating other just as Christ commands us to do. you do a great disservice to many Christians who live like this when you paint all Christians as being against gay people and that is not a good place to be.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Yet you are perfectly fine allowing gay people to go through these same horrendous things?
did i say i was? no, i never did, did i? you just inferred from my statement that i do. so sad that you seem to think that all Christians are alike....

Old 11-26-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
did i say i was? no, i never did, did i? you just inferred from my statement that i do. so sad that you seem to think that all Christians are alike....
Are you speaking up against discrimination of gay people?

Old 11-26-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
i was born with a cleft palatte, hairlip and deviated septum so i look quite different than most other people so i have been discriminated against in some areas you have described: work, housing, shopping, doctors etc. i have faced an entire lifetime of harassment and violence due to my looks.
And I really, truly hate that you went through those things.It is also why I can't fathom how you can be okay for this to be going on in regards to other people. For the record, I am against ALL discrimination, whether it be against gay people, cleft palates, being black, being Christian, whatever.

Quote:
perhaps that means nothing to you but you seem to infer that EVERY and ALL Christians are engaging in each of these items you listed and you could be no more wrong about that.
No, I clearly don't say that. At all.

Quote:
there are some but MOST Christians are content to live with the people in this country and within their communities, treating other just as Christ commands us to do. you do a great disservice to many Christians who live like this when you paint all Christians as being against gay people and that is not a good place to be.
Again, I do not, and have not, painted ALL Christians in this light. Period. End of story.

Also again, I am not talking about the people who just live and let live. I am talking specifics here urban. You have yet to come out and say that you believe gay people should have the same rights and not be discriminated against, so you are in that camp until you do so. Otherwise, you are complicit in the discrimination they face.

Quote:
You have claimed they don't face discrimination, and you have yet to say you don't condone it, or believe that they should be treated as equals, at least not that I have seen... So what are we to think urban? You have claimed that people hate you, and you have claimed that gay people should just be happy they don't live somewhere else (which again leads anyone reading to believe you are okay with their continued discrimination). So, if you have said otherwise, please point me to it so I can apologize. Until then, you are clearly acting as if you are okay with it.

You know what is actually sad? The fact that you keep claiming I have said things that I haven't. You either need to read more carefully, or stop misrepresenting what I have said.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Are you speaking up against discrimination of gay people?
i do not advocate discrimination against anyone, period. now, i cannot change what the Bible says but i do know what Jesus wants us as Christians do to and that is to share the Word with ALL the world. He met and sat with sinners from all backgrounds and preached the Gospel to them all. after He healed many of the people from their infirmities, He told them to "go and sin no more" because He knew their hearts. one of my friends in our former church was gay when he began attending services and accepted Christ as His Savior. the more he read the Bible, he decided, of his own accord, to become celibate and live his life in service of God and the church.

we are all human beings and we should all have the same basic privileges for living as the rest of us. whether i agree with others regarding their beliefs doesn't matter, God gave us all free will to make choices in life, whether they be right or wrong. i chose to follow Christ years ago and i have never regretted it and i want to share the Gospel with others. most of the time, people are not interested so i bless them and continue on. for the others, i will share what Jesus did on the Cross and why He did it and that is because we are ALL sinners in need of salvation. that's how i live my life and that's how my wife and i live. i can't speak for anyone else but i believe we are trying our best to live according to the Bible. we are not perfect but we are trying our best and that's all anyone can do.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
i do not advocate discrimination against anyone, period. now, i cannot change what the Bible says but i do know what Jesus wants us as Christians do to and that is to share the Word with ALL the world. He met and sat with sinners from all backgrounds and preached the Gospel to them all. after He healed many of the people from their infirmities, He told them to "go and sin no more" because He knew their hearts. one of my friends in our former church was gay when he began attending services and accepted Christ as His Savior. the more he read the Bible, he decided, of his own accord, to become celibate and live his life in service of God and the church.

we are all human beings and we should all have the same basic privileges for living as the rest of us. whether i agree with others regarding their beliefs doesn't matter, God gave us all free will to make choices in life, whether they be right or wrong. i chose to follow Christ years ago and i have never regretted it and i want to share the Gospel with others. most of the time, people are not interested so i bless them and continue on. for the others, i will share what Jesus did on the Cross and why He did it and that is because we are ALL sinners in need of salvation. that's how i live my life and that's how my wife and i live. i can't speak for anyone else but i believe we are trying our best to live according to the Bible. we are not perfect but we are trying our best and that's all anyone can do.
I didn't ask if you advocate discrimination. I asked if you are standing up for those who are gay who are being discriminated against by your fellow fundamentalists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.