Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 05:17 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
People do that to themselves.

I claim no denomination.

1 John 5:11-12 - If you have the Son, you have the life. If you don't have the Son of God, you don't have the life.

That's it.

See above. Then comes the question... how does a person get the Son?
Jesus told us:

KJV Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

It isn't just belief it is obedience to many things God requires, that we can do. If we do not obey, Jesus has told us we do not have him.

KJV Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:32 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Nope, there is only one true set of beliefs. The others are all of the things Jesus and Paul spoke of, following false apostles, prophets, etc. What you are speaking about is fulfillment of prophecy, which is why so many calling themselves "Christian" live immoral lives.
can someone please list the one true set of beliefs that Jesus stated?

Paul is not Jesus' peer nor is Paul the authoritative voice of scripture or god.

We just need to know what is being interpreted as the one true set of beliefs?

Old 12-12-2018, 05:40 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's pretty much everyone in historical Christianity. Including the Apostle Paul.

Wonderful to see a moderator of the religious and Christianity forums openly state that she has a disdain for a huge number of Christians.
Where did I state that I have a disdain for a huge number of Christians--either as a mod or a member?

And why did you decide to post something like that in response to the post you quoted instead of answering the question?

Old 12-12-2018, 05:48 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times
<snipped, otherwise posts sooooo long ...!>

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Nothing more than the isolation tactic here. You want to make it appear as if I am the only one out here holding these beliefs. But the reality is if you attack me then you are attacking millions of Christians who share my beliefs:

Where Christian churches, other religions stand on gay marriage | Pew Research Center
I'm not discussing this issue with them. I'm discussing this issue with you. However, if those millions of Christians who share your beliefs wish to discuss this issue with me then, by all means, bring it on. My response/s will be exactly the same.

<snip>

Quote:
Yeah well, you don't know me so it is incredibly arrogant to make such a claim based solely on some internet opinions. You don't know my walk, my testimony or my heart so it really only makes you look bad to make these kind of statements.
Jeff, I can only 'know you' through your posts on this forum and I acknowledge this. I don't dismiss the idea that in real life you may be quite different from the particular persona you display on this thread ...probably like most of us. However, you either don't know your scripture regarding this particular topic or you do know your scripture but are intentionally lying merely to support your personal 'agenda'. Since i don't know you personally, I can only respond to your posts and this is what I'm doing.

Quote:
Here's a fun test. Let's say u were the biblical author of the time and God told you that homosexuality was a sin. So how exactly would you record that it is wrong since no distinct term existed for such a thing?
Straw men tests are always fun but that's all this is. I guess, for starters, I would be concerned with hearing a voice in my head telling me to do certain things. We, today, have a medical term for hearing and acting on 'voices in the head'.

I admit that I'm having fun with you, Jeff, but I really do find it difficult to go along with the idea that men were 'inspired' by 'the voice of God' and were so compelled to write down all they were told. Even if this really DID happen, I shouldn't be automatically expected to believe something that I simply cannot relate to. I do have thoughts in my head ...all the time ...but I've never heard an audible voice in my head telling me to do something. In my travels I once shared accommodation with a schizophrenic man for a few weeks ...a tad scary at times. In his lucid moments, however, we were able to engage in some intelligent conversations. I remember what he had to say about the many Christians that he'd come across during his involvement with the church. He said that, since he recognizes in others the condition that he has, any number of them were at least borderline schizophrenics.

Anyway, back to the fun test ...I guess I would ask God to give me a specific term for the particular 'sin' that He spoke of so that my later transcripts would not be so ambiguous for later readers. If something is 'a sin' that can, if not corrected and repented of, affect my salvation, then I would definitely need a distinct term, i.e. "homosexuality is a sin," to come from the God who is telling me to write this stuff down.

That's all I can think to say at the moment.

Quote:
I imagine the authors right now are just agast wondering how else would we have made it more clear for people to avoid this sin? I even told them to run from it. Flee in 1 Corinthians 6:18.
I would imagine that the authors 'right now' are long dead and are not aghast wondering about anything. As for your 'flee fornication' (1 Corinthians 6:18 KJV) ...where do you get homosexuality from that passage of scripture?

See, this is what you do much of the time, Jeff ...you pad the scriptures with 'stuff' from your own imagination. Stop it!

<snip>

Quote:
Once again, it does. Do you honestly believe that something doesn't exist in reality until an English word is created for it? Really?
I never said that something doesn't exist in reality until an English word is created for it. In fact, I emphasized that the term 'homosexuality' is not found in the Bible in the original languages used ...not in Hebrew, not in Aramaic, and not in Greek. You really do need to keep up, Jeff. The best anyone has come up with is the word 'arsenokoitai', a word apparently made up by Paul that NO ONE knows the meaning of. However, the attempts to make this term synonymous with 'homosexuality', i.e. the jumping through hoops in order to please religious bigots, is rather interesting if not amusing.

Quote:
Homosexuality was clearly described in Levictius.
Well, if it's that clear to you and you consider homosexuality to be a sin ...then don't involve yourself in 'homosexuality' ...whatever that might mean. That was easy, wasn't it?

Quote:
It says other nations and even the land was defiled because of it. That has NOTHING to do with pagan worship.
It has everything to do with pagan worship. The 'abomination' spoken of here, as I explained in an earlier post, would have been similar to those 'abominations' spoken of in Ezekiel 8:1-18. You don't appear to understand, Jeff, the emphasis that God puts on 'worship'. Worship is for HE alone and He despises the worship of idols. Moreover, to state the obvious, 'worship' involves 'practices'. Here is just one random scripture I chose, one of 20 or so similar ones, as an example:

Deuteronomy 29:17-18 ...you have seen their abominations and their idols of wood, stone, silver, and gold, which they had with them); so that there will not be among you a man or woman, or family or tribe, whose heart turns away today from the LORD our God, to go and serve the gods of those nations; that there will not be among you a root bearing poisonous fruit and wormwood.

You really do need to do some homework, Jeff, if you're going to involve yourself in these kinds of discussions.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:52 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Serious answer...

there are only Christians and non-Christians

you chose to create your own "divisions"... I think that was one of the terms (or a derivative) used to describe bigotry that you agreed with
I'm not playing a game here. I used to participate years ago in a nondenominational Bible study at work at lunchtime. On the 61st floor of One World Trade Center, as a matter of fact.

There were participants who called themselves fundamentalist Christians. Later I came to understand better what that meant because the history the fundamentalist movement is on the Internet and I read about it.

Christianity has been divided since it started. Yes there are Christians and non, but about one hundred years ago, a group set themselves up as fundamentalists, declaring their belief in a list of things in a document called The Fundamentals. Hence the name.

Not all Christians agreed with them then, and not all do so now.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:10 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Where did I state that I have a disdain for a huge number of Christians--either as a mod or a member?

And why did you decide to post something like that in response to the post you quoted instead of answering the question?
BaptistFundie is exhibiting that "Christian Privilege" thing in which everything is an attack, and everything is offending.

I'm pretty sure there is a word for a person like that. Fundie? Yeah.. but. Fundamentalist? Yeah,..but.

I know! It has to do with winter and it's component precipitation. Yeah.. that's it!

Old 12-12-2018, 06:11 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
People do that to themselves.

I claim no denomination.

1 John 5:11-12 - If you have the Son, you have the life. If you don't have the Son of God, you don't have the life.

That's it.

See above. Then comes the question... how does a person get the Son?
no, the question is how do one true christians "judge" who has or has not the son?

Do you need someone to share with you how one has a relationship with the son?

Spoiler
All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:
Homosexuality was clearly described in Levictius. It says other nations and even the land was defiled because of it. That has NOTHING to do with pagan worship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
That's Leviticus, and no it isn't. And yes, it has everything to do with pagan worship and prostitution that you simply keep ignoring to support your ideology. Although you are entitled to an opinion, the actual text or language does not confirm your conclusions which are personal in nature. It's what you have been taught to believe, nothing more. And, you do discriminate against others because of your personal views which have been documented within this thread based on your religious beliefs.
Quote:
As usual, you offer up ZERO of anything to back up your case. I won't take your claims at a face value. I've read the verses many times. The context argument doesn't hold up neither does the ridiculous argument that homosexuality had nothing to do with Sodom.
I had already given you the information as has RomulusXXV. If you have decided to ignore it, that's fine. But don't lie about it, while making the claim that you have a good reading comprehension. And, as I have also said, Sodom and Gomorrah had more do with the hostile treatment of strangers - beyond that of merely being unfriendly or anything consensual.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:48 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

1. This is a thread bashing conservative Christians that believe the Bible. Your post was piling on.

2. And would it make a difference if I did answer your question or anyone else's? Almost 500 pages have gone by and no one has paid attention to what any Christian has said on this forum. Instead, we've been told we hate homosexuals.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
1. This is a thread bashing conservative Christians that believe the Bible. Your post was piling on.

2. And would it make a difference if I did answer your question or anyone else's? Almost 500 pages have gone by and no one has paid attention to what any Christian has said on this forum. Instead, we've been told we hate homosexuals.
So, to be clear, you're saying that MQ is not a Christian? That nate is not a Christian? That Warden is not a Christian? Ronkon? Rain...?

So...who IS a Christian posting on this thread, Fundie? Besides you, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity